The Student Room Group

Can't even make online friends...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Astronomical
I love hearing about other peoples' schools. :dontknow:

But when the pair of you go to the same school, it's not exactly an exciting topic. I like hearing what subjects people study as it gives an insight into their interests, but it's a topic that has to be used sparingly from my experience. :tongue:
Reply 21
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
But when the pair of you go to the same school, it's not exactly an exciting topic. I like hearing what subjects people study as it gives an insight into their interests, but it's a topic that has to be used sparingly from my experience. :tongue:

Hehe, unfortunately I don't really get much of an opportunity to talk to people at school. Well, I do, but I'm just too shy and uninteresting (so I've gathered from my failed attempts) to actually do something these days. :l And when I ask online people, I think they'd rather just not talk about it. >.<
Reply 22
Original post by Anonymous
Hehe, unfortunately I don't really get much of an opportunity to talk to people at school. Well, I do, but I'm just too shy and uninteresting (so I've gathered from my failed attempts) to actually do something these days. :l And when I ask online people, I think they'd rather just not talk about it. >.<

The one thing I have found about making friends is that you basically have to put yourself out there, be around to talk to, make yourself a familiar face and people will chat to you because you're someone they are familiar with. There's no point being nervous - easier said than done I know! But honestly, if you're willing to stick your neck out a bit and just relax you'll be fine.

Another tip is, a common enemy will often bring people together. Got a teacher who everyone hates? Just mention how much you hate them and I bet the convo will soon get going.
If you're going to uni I would suggest definitely attend fresher's week (don't really need to drink and go out and hit the town)

You can join a society, sure they'll be at least 1 that you're interested in

You're on a course at uni, so there's a mutual interest there - ask them why they're doing it etc

But don't be completely quiet in fresher's week, in my opinion - fresher's week is a crucial time to mingle with new people and appear approachable...get on first name terms with as many people as you can!

Good luck, you'll be fine though :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
I have a really tough time making friends with people in the real world, I get all nervous, I don't seem to be able to talk about anything anyone else wants to talk about (I'm seen as too academic (despite the fact I am of only average intelligence) and just...well, no fun - I don't drink or smoke or actually get out anymore, and I've been a recluse most of my life - and ever more so in the last year at sixth form).

So, naturally, I've turned to the virtual world. And yet I still can't make friends, and it makes me feel hopeless and lost. Not here, nor 99% of the places I've gone to. Even when I'm on forums with people with similar interests and hobbies (of which I don't have many), I feel like an outsider looking in and that glass barrier will never break down.

So yeah. Sorry for the self-pitying. Needed a vent. Thanks for reading if you did.

You're doubting yourself before you even begin, and therefore you're preventing yourself from making close relationships with people just to prove yourself right. But then again, I'm no psychologist.
:console: I feel kinda the same. Even though I have met IRL quite a few people from the internet, it just seems quite hard to go from a one-off meetup to meeting regularly, especially if there are long-distance issues. In fact, even the ones who live near me don't want to meet up regularly, I guess because they have their own lives, lol.

If you like, you can be my friend? :smile: The offer's there, just message me if you want.
Reply 26
Ouch. Your soul must hurt.
Reply 27

Enjoy freshers' week

"What school did you go to?"

What highers did you do?"

What are you going to study?"

Ad nauseaum.
I have a really tough time making friends with people in the real world, I get all nervous, I don't seem to be able to talk about anything anyone else wants to talk about (I'm seen as too academic (despite the fact I am of only average intelligence) and just...well, no fun - I don't drink or smoke or actually get out anymore, and I've been a recluse most of my life - and ever more so in the last year at sixth form).

So, naturally, I've turned to the virtual world. And yet I still can't make friends, and it makes me feel hopeless and lost. Not here, nor 99% of the places I've gone to. Even when I'm on forums with people with similar interests and hobbies (of which I don't have many), I feel like an outsider looking in and that glass barrier will never break down.

So yeah. Sorry for the self-pitying. Needed a vent. Thanks for reading if you did.

Hey,

dont feel so down :frown:

How about I be your freind? I like making new freinds and meeting people.

I have a lot of freinds that I know in person, aswell as internet ones :smile: and I prefer my internet freinds than real freinds....

Send me a PM and I will get back to you.
Reply 29
I suppose if you have people to tell you that then you're social in some sense.
I know how you feel, and I'm terrified that I'll be in your position come September. I'll be 17 (not turning 18 until next May as I've applied a year early) and therefore unable to go to pubs/clubs/any over 18s event, which will make it difficult for me socially I think. Yet everyone assures me I'll be fine - if you're starting uni this year too, then you will too. You'll find people who are just like you and just as 'academic' (I've been slapped with that label too many times myself). But feel free to message me anyway if my blether hasn't put you off.
Reply 31
Original post by Pensivedore
:console: I think the best thing to do, as others have already mentioned, is to spark a conversation about a common interest, it can be as trivial as..your favourite type of umbrella (I don't think people actually have an opinion on umbrellas though, but you get my point). This is especially easy to do online, since it's a lot less intimidating than IRL. In terms of making friends IRL, are you going to uni this year? If so, that would be a great oppirtunity for you to befriend people as pretty much everyone will be on the same friend-making boat. Don't get put off by people ignoring you or seeming disinterested, you'll find people who you click with eventually. Good luck! Also PM if you want to talk!

I like the long non collapsible umbrella's because they look nice and classy but they are so impractical!
Original post by Norton1
Enjoy freshers' week

"What school did you go to?"

What highers did you do?"

What are you going to study?"

Ad nauseaum.

I'm cutting myself already.
Reply 33
I'm cutting myself already.

Topic of conversation!
Reply 34
Your excitement is admirable because even the model is like "what the hell am I doing here, fml pls"
Original post by mare?
I like the long non collapsible umbrella's because they look nice and classy but they are so impractical!

I'm fine with any umbrella, as long as it doesn't form a mind of its own and try to fly away when it's really windy.
I'm not sure one like that actually exists but if it does I would probably invest everything I own to have it, considering how much it rains here.
Omg you actually found one!! :love: I've never heard of this website though, and I'd like to see this umbrella in action. Like, I actually want them to test it out in the middle of a typical rainy day in England. Though, for 20 quid it doesn't seem that bad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending