The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I know league tables aren't the holy grail, but:

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gooduniversityguide2005/20english.pdf

When I told a teacher at my school I was possibly going to Durham, he grinned and excitedly said, 'that's THE place to do English, of course!' Not that he knew much about anything, though...:biggrin:
Reply 21
Hmm I'm in the same position and have come to the conclusion that:

Durham > York as a place to live
York > Durham in terms of course (but only slightly)

So it hasn't really helped much in deciding where I'd actually be happier. Going up to the York open day on 21st April though, so hopefully that might swing it one way or the other...
I should really stop reading these threads...I haven't seemed to have gotten over the fact I won't be going to York in October.
Meh.
Reply 23
Thanks so much for your comments everyone! Your opinions, plus my own research, has convinced me that York's course is the one for me.

However, just want reassurance before I put it as my firm......York is fun, right? Having been on a Durham open day, and having several friends there, I know that its such a laugh. However, looking at the York section of TSR, it seems less upbeat than Durham's. Also, there seems to be a lack of a centre of student life.

Please reassure me York people!
Reply 24
I don't think the number of people from a university who post on TSR has any real relevance to how "fun" a university is. I went round the city and there were lots of students having a laugh at night, loads of pubs/bars and a lot were nice (and cheap).
Reply 25
In reality I'm sure York will be a lot more fun than Durham! Beautiful town, Leeds nearby, short journey to a great campus but more importantly if the degree is perfect for you then that should be the reason for choosing ur uni! There are bars, clubs etc and the uni has a friendly reputation so you'll have a good time.
Reply 26
Yup! If I had the silly 6A*s I'd have applied for History at Durham and even though I loved St Andrews when I visited and Durham is probably similar (I've only seen it from the train) York for me definitely seemed like the place where there was more to do.
Reply 27
Stir Crazy
Thanks so much for your comments everyone! Your opinions, plus my own research, has convinced me that York's course is the one for me.

However, just want reassurance before I put it as my firm......York is fun, right? Having been on a Durham open day, and having several friends there, I know that its such a laugh. However, looking at the York section of TSR, it seems less upbeat than Durham's. Also, there seems to be a lack of a centre of student life.

Please reassure me York people!

Yeah, I have an absolutely wicked time at York. Yeah there's only a couple of clubs but personally I like to be able to go out on student night and know that loads of people I know will be there. There's also absolutely loads of bars and pubs and campus events can be a real laugh too. Leeds is really easy to go to as well, tho I've never been bored enough with York to get round to organising a night out in Leeds, going for the first time at the beginning of next term on a newspaper social. Definately nothing to worry about on the social side if you're up for it and don't have a negative attitude.
Reply 28
chrissy909
In reality I'm sure York will be a lot more fun than Durham! Beautiful town, Leeds nearby, short journey to a great campus but more importantly if the degree is perfect for you then that should be the reason for choosing ur uni! There are bars, clubs etc and the uni has a friendly reputation so you'll have a good time.

Not necessarily. Durham has the strong Collegiate system remember. I have relatives in York, I've been on nights out in York and believe me, it's not exactly happenin'. Leeds may be nearby, but it's not THAT close and I bet going into Leeds isn't an established thing amongst York Uni students. Besides, buzzing Newcastle is closer to Durham than Leeds is to York.

Great campus - it's very 1960s.

Overall I think Durham wins, especially in terms of prestige.
Reply 29
Going into Leeds is an established thing amongst York students
Reply 30
BeeDee
Not necessarily. Durham has the strong Collegiate system remember. I have relatives in York, I've been on nights out in York and believe me, it's not exactly happenin'. Leeds may be nearby, but it's not THAT close and I bet going into Leeds isn't an established thing amongst York Uni students. Besides, buzzing Newcastle is closer to Durham than Leeds is to York.

York is also collegiate but that doesn't make a uni more or less fun. I had a really great time when I visited York and found there was a lot to do. There are clubs, bars, shops and restaurants in York town itself and Leeds is only really necessary if you want to go to a have a big clubbing night out or see a band. In terms of prestige, which is a lot less important than say, the course itself, Durham and York are pretty equal.
Reply 31
BeeDee

Have you ever been to Durham? I have on numerous occasions and I'm sorry to disappoint you but the city is about a quarter of the size of York with next to no decent facilities. In terms of nights out in Durham they have the crappest club in europe and some ****ty bars. York is certainly better for a night out. Also, you talk about how it is not an established thing for York students to go to Leeds but provide no evidence. I know students that go there every week, although you are right that there is more need for Durham students to go to Newcastle because Durham is so minute.

As for prestige and for english I would say that York wins, espcially if you are looking at employment.
Reply 32
i was gonna say durham has the crappest club in europe but MMA beat me to it!!

It depends what your looking for really, but york beats durham in terms of course and city hands down. I also spoke to a few european students doing english at york who said they were attracted to the prestige of the english department, and asked them "Why didn't you choose durham?"...Their reply was "Where's Durham? We've never heard of it". And that's a true story.
Reply 33
York York York! You won't regret it.
Reply 34
BeeDee
I have relatives in York, I've been on nights out in York and believe me, it's not exactly happenin'. Leeds may be nearby, but it's not THAT close and I bet going into Leeds isn't an established thing amongst York Uni students. Besides, buzzing Newcastle is closer to Durham than Leeds is to York.

Rubbish, loads of people go to Leeds all the time, I have a friend who goes there every weekend. It's only a half hour train journey and costs about £4 so really it is THAT close.

Don't know where you've been on nights out in York, but Micklegate on a Tues/Weds has never let me down, and places like Evil Eye are always wicked fun.
Reply 35
Why is everyone so anti-Durham in this forum? It's making me doubt my Durham preference. :frown:
Reply 36
Beelzebub
Rubbish, loads of people go to Leeds all the time, I have a friend who goes there every weekend. It's only a half hour train journey and costs about £4 so really it is THAT close.

Don't know where you've been on nights out in York, but Micklegate on a Tues/Weds has never let me down, and places like Evil Eye are always wicked fun.

yeah johnny depp went to the evil eye when he was in york!
Reply 37
Ok I think I was a lil harsh about York. I have lots of family there and it is a really nice place, really chic etc, I guess I should have just said it's not the most happenin'/exciting of places. It's fairly cosmopolitan though.
Reply 38
Thanks for your help - stil have ABSOLUTELY no idea where to go but there we go.....I've added your comments to my pros and cons table which I've written in an attempt to make a decision - let me just put this in context . . . I have trouble choosing what colour socks to wear everyday - I hate making decisions!!
Reply 39
Toss a coin.

Latest

Trending

Trending