Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I remember that game!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, this thread is for posting games that you grew up with/might not have played in a while. I'm a huge fan of older video games, maybe it's because I was brought up playing them but the difficulty and beauty of older video games is hard to find today. So my idea is to post a screenshot or gameplay video of an old game that you love.

I'll start with 2 games that are very special to me. Both were my first video games, I still have them for the original (yellow model not original grey) Gameboy and they still work just as well as they did when I was a kid. Over the years I've played these 2 to death, but I still can't resist seeing that 'Nintendo' roll down the screen.

Super Mario Land

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

I'll post more in seperate posts as thread progresses.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Here are two PC games that I used to love when I was a kid on our spanking shiny Windows 95.

Commander Keen 4

Toonstruck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Here are two PC games that I used to love when I was a kid on our spanking shiny Windows 95.
    I loved Windows 95. Maze screen-saver all the way.I used to play Myst all the time, it's one of my favourite games of all time.

Myst gameplay:

I finished Myst (with more than a little help from my dad). Never finished Riven (that was impossible). I also used to have an racing game called POD (Planet of Death), that was very fun aswell.

POD (PC) Gameplay:

This might be more Windows 98 territory, but I loved this and the games that followed it (up until Legend that is)

Tomb Raider 2 PC: The voice at the start is Lara's and goes after 4 seconds. The actual missions start at around 14:45.

Good times, good times indeed. I still own all of the games I've listed lol and now I really feel like playing them.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    CS 1.6 from 2003. :smug:
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retrogamer104)
    Those Mario games were excellent, as was POD. Great little racer that title.

Remember this:
    ?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Oh how I loved these games:

and

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)

Commander Keen 4

Toonstruck
    finally someone whos played commander keen!
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lubus)
    finally someone whos played commander keen!
    I'm sure there are loads of us out there who've played (and thoroughly enjoyed) the Commander Keen series.

I'm a huge fan of older video games, maybe it's because I was brought up playing them but the difficulty and beauty of older video games is hard to find today.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but certainly the difficulty of games has plummeted over the years. If you play games like Battletoads or Ghosts 'n' Goblins, you'll know why the rare few modern games that are exceedingly difficult are given the title of "NES hard". Anyone who can complete something like Abe's Oddysee (which isn't even particularly 'modern' but is one of the more difficult pro-made games of the last 15 years that I can remember), Super Meat Boy or VVVVVV without dying would be performing a feat that is simply amazing. There's a reason these games give you infinite lives - you ****ing need them Similarly, Dwarf Fortress proudly sports the motto "Losing is fun", because whether you play it in Fortress Mode or Adventure Mode, your dwarves will be killed. Numerous times.

One NES-hard title from my childhood, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...anyone who played it will typically remember it for one thing and one thing only: the Hudson's Dam level where you have to navigate a maze where the seaweed (and other things) throughout the maze will kill you very, very quickly, while having to navigate the maze and defuse six bombs within a three-minute time limit.
    • 69 followers

ReputationRep:

Currently stuck on level 23 :sad:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eN3Nu-7YaSc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Megarace <3
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

Megarace <3
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    One NES-hard title from my childhood, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...anyone who played it will typically remember it for one thing and one thing only: the Hudson's Dam level where you have to navigate a maze where the seaweed (and other things) throughout the maze will kill you very, very quickly, while having to navigate the maze and defuse six bombs within a three-minute time limit.
    :mad: :mad:

That bloody level. I've never been so close to putting a control pad through a TV...
    • 66 followers

ReputationRep:
    hmmmmm

I remember when games were just a line of text followed by a flashing >

>Turn Right
    >Pick up sword
    >Open door

lol
    • 140 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone remember a Sega game called The Ninja? I used to play it all the time when I was younger! :awesome:

• 69 followers

ReputationRep:

It was QUITE SIK
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

This was my favourite game on mega drive. Loved it!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

PS1

PS1

Super Nintendo (Still haven't clocked this stupid game)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How about Rosco McQueen on Playstation? I remember playing that on a demo unit in Argos and ended up getting it when I bought a PS1 eventually!

Futurecop L.A.P.D was a game I was surprised that never got a sequel or has been revived for current-gen.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I also used to have an racing game called POD (Planet of Death), that was very fun aswell.

POD (PC) Gameplay:

Oh my God! POD was unreal for it's time! Seeing this has brought back so many memories, cheers! :grin:

This is my choice, Rage Racer. An absolutely unbelievable game when I was a kid and well before it's time.

Anyone else remember it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Pandemonium - PS1

Nintendo World Cup on NES! Amazing! Me and my wee brother never did win. Loved the ridiculous tackling and when you could make the ball burst and go flying like an unstoppable bullet!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 8, 2013
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.