Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Time.

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that a long period of time into the future (i.e 5+ years) feels like a much longer period of time than 5+ years of time that has already past, while time that is weeks or days long doesn't seem that different regardless of whether it has already past or not?
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    Why is it that a long period of time into the future (i.e 5+ years) feels like a much longer period of time than 5+ years of time that has already past, while time that is weeks or days long doesn't seem that different regardless of whether it has already past or not?
    Because we expect more than we actually achieve in those years. Past five years of school, all I've done is GCSEs and AS-levels, whereas in the next 5 years I tell myself I'm going to do all sorts of epic stuff
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think this is probably a neurobiology question, and not a philosophy question.

I'm sure it's something to do with the different areas of the brain in which long/short term memory is stored.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Obviously you haven't been listening to doctor who:

" People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-of-effect...but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff"

which I'm sure answers the question
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe because you can summarise those past 5 years in your mind, usually losing information (you don't usually remember everything) whereas you usually think of the future in all its possible forms (i.e. you actually think about many five years ahead)?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can't visualise, quantify and rationalise the unknown.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Time doesn't move, we move through it. Knowing this, we can make an educated assumption that our perception of time is backwards compatible (in that we can explore what is and what has been but not what will be). Essentially and neuro-biologically the more times a neural path is traveled upon the stronger it becomes and the lower the chances of losing it. Therefore the past is already traveled (both literally and neuro-biologically) and defined where the future is ill-defined.

You could also argue that it's only really important or somehow interesting (to you at least) events that you remember, not the whole bulk of time, and therefore your assumption of future consumption of time is not in line with the plausible reality.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 29, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.