The Student Room Group

Should I do the IB?

Now I know GCSEs aren't a good indicator of how well I will do, but I am predicted 2A*s, 7As, and 1B. I could get higher than that, could get lower. Who knows.

For Uni's like UCL, LSE, to do the course I would like, I need about 38/39 on my diploma. I am not asking for 40+, but very high 30's. I am aware of the hard work and dedication needed, but for (roughly) someone of my scores on GCSE, am I going to find it near impossible to get that high?

For GCSEs, I know I could've got mainly A*s if I had taken it all seriously from day 1, but I lazed off, and it was too late by the time I cracked down to work.

I do want to do the IB, but it scares me when I read how meeting that type of offer is ridiculously hard, and I am lowering my chances of getting into a top Uni. I would like to hear a good opinion from an IB student (I feel A-Level students are very bias about this topic lol)

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Personally I wouldn't. If is harder to do well in IB than it is in A level. And at the end of the day the day you're almost certainly going to be using this qualification to gain entry to university. So why on earth would you make that job harder than it needs to be.
Reply 2
I'm an ex-IB student and meeting your offers with A-levels will certainly be easier. Don't make your life harder by doing IB.
Original post by Coke1
Now I know GCSEs aren't a good indicator of how well I will do, but I am predicted 2A*s, 7As, and 1B. I could get higher than that, could get lower. Who knows.

For Uni's like UCL, LSE, to do the course I would like, I need about 38/39 on my diploma. I am not asking for 40+, but very high 30's. I am aware of the hard work and dedication needed, but for (roughly) someone of my scores on GCSE, am I going to find it near impossible to get that high?

For GCSEs, I know I could've got mainly A*s if I had taken it all seriously from day 1, but I lazed off, and it was too late by the time I cracked down to work.

I do want to do the IB, but it scares me when I read how meeting that type of offer is ridiculously hard, and I am lowering my chances of getting into a top Uni. I would like to hear a good opinion from an IB student (I feel A-Level students are very bias about this topic lol)

Thanks in advance!

I got 4 A*s 6As and I work a lot harder for IB than I did for GCSEs and I'm predicted 7 7 6 HL 7 6 5 SL and 2 core points (40 overall) The people who got predicted 45 got mainly A*s in their GCSEs but not all A*s.
Reply 4
I got 3A*s 6As 2Bs. 43 points in IB with HL math/phys/chem (6, 7, 7). Just for your ref

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending