Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Disappointing first day for Team GB

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    how many medal events were there today?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simran Mars Foster)
    Didn't we do really well in the rowing!?
    Forgot about that

I'm more disappointed with all the empty seats in a lot of the venues to be honest. Needs to be sorted asap.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but we didn't win any medals today [they were just qualifying rounds] so as far as the OP is considered they "don't count"... :rolleyes:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    That isn't the full picture though. We may have a small population but we throw in a huge amount of money when it comes to sports and infrastructure.
    idk, do we? Obviously the total GDP per capita gives us an advantage over Africa and places like that. But Britain doesn't run a huge specially funded training program like the communist countries did, PRC still does, and places like Australia have started to do too.

In 2008 Britain won about half as many medals as China, which has a 20x larger population, and the US, which has both a 5x larger population and a higher GDP per capita.

In general we shouldn't expect with equal funding and equal population base that the UK would do substantially better than other countries. We're not supermen.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    A higher tempo throughout the whole race would have meant no energy left for a sprint - and that a sprint would have been less effective.
    All the other teams knew that if it did come down to a sprint there'd be, at best, 4 guys with a chance. So they didn't want that to happen. Had Team GB gone off at the pace to match those breakaway groups, Cav wouldn't have had enough left to sprint away from the other sprinters who would have tagged along.
    I understand that but you have to at least be able to see the opposition at the end to catch them in a sprint. And if the others in the Peloton were scared of Cavendish when it comes to a sprint wouldn't it have been better to join the leading group and try and push the pace to keep the sprint out of it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep... but that's the mentality of cynics - not smashing world records here there and everywhere is considered not good enough.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    China's sports robots have 4 medals already >.>
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    I didn't get hose comments from the commentators 'nobody wants to be near Cavendish at the end so nobody is going in front of team GB.' and so on. All the others had to do was ride away whenever they felt like. And it was poor tactics letting the front group get so far ahead.
    He's the fastest guy in the world on a bike. Nobody wanted to be battling for the gold with him in the last 500-250m, they'd have easily lost. It all went to pot when people pulled away and so the British team lost control of the race. The tactic probably would've worked had they had more people/kept the plan a secret...
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    I understand that but you have to at least be able to see the opposition at the end to catch them in a sprint. And if the others in the Peloton were scared of Cavendish when it comes to a sprint wouldn't it have been better to join the leading group and try and push the pace to keep the sprint out of it.
    If they were capable of it, yeah. But they couldn't have done that work alone. Other teams would have followed them and then overtaken them once they'd done the hardwork.

Noone blinked first.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

(Original post by ForensicShoe)
    German's were being right lazy bastards.
    no + rep left... but too right with there help who knows. WTF were they riding for?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    idk, do we? Obviously the total GDP per capita gives us an advantage over Africa and places like that. But Britain doesn't run a huge specially funded training program like the communist countries did, PRC still does, and places like Australia have started to do too.

In 2008 Britain won about half as many medals as China, which has a 20x larger population, and the US, which has both a 5x larger population and a higher GDP per capita.

In general we shouldn't expect with equal funding and equal population base that the UK would do substantially better than other countries. We're not supermen.
    Australia don't anymore we put a far higher percentage in than they do now.

It isn't about GDP, its how much money is invested into sports itself and the amount we put in per athlete is huge compared to most countries.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but we didn't win any medals today [they were just qualifying rounds] so as far as the OP is considered they "don't count"... :rolleyes:
    We are usually successful in rowing. Much of that is due to the relatively narrow participation.

I'm trying to point out that, although it is early days, we are performing below expectations when you consider the amount of preparation and money spent on our Home Games. We are supposed to be doing considerably better than usual, and we definitely aren't.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Didn't we finish quite high at Beijing? Yet I'm sure i recall people in the first few days complaining about a lack of bling.

(Original post by CompactDestruction)
    We are supposed to be doing considerably better than usual, and we definitely aren't.

why?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YMLT)
    He's the fastest guy in the world on a bike. Nobody wanted to be battling for the gold with him in the last 500-250m, they'd have easily lost. It all went to pot when people pulled away and so the British team lost control of the race. The tactic probably would've worked had they had more people/kept the plan a secret...
    But if they don't try and breakaway they are guaranteed to be next to him :confused:

If they were capable of it, yeah. But they couldn't have done that work alone. Other teams would have followed them and then overtaken them once they'd done the hardwork.

Noone blinked first.
    Why couldn't they have done the work alone :confused: Just ride and ride hard at your pace. Clearly none of them believed they could beat Cavendish in a sprint. So don't try, just try and pull away slowly but surely over the whole race rather than stay at a slower pace allowing Cavendish to store up the sprint whilst some leading group have decided to get an unassailable lead.

Also, why does riding require a team? I really didn't get that at all. Why didn't the others in the GB team want to win as well? Clearly at least one of them could have rode with the leading group and won gold themselves.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cid)
    Didn't we finish quite high at Beijing? Yet I'm sure i recall people in the first few days complaining about a lack of bling.
    4th. And you're right.

(Original post by CompactDestruction)
    We are usually successful in rowing. Much of that is due to the relatively narrow participation.

I'm trying to point out that, although it is early days, we are performing below expectations when you consider the amount of preparation and money spent on our Home Games. We are supposed to be doing considerably better than usual, and we definitely aren't.
    It's day sodding 1. There are 16 days of competition. We're not going to see massive improvements in events we've never been a factor in, we're going to see improvements from also-rans to top 3s in events we already did relatively well at.

We will do better than before. We're going to get more medals than Beijing. But give it a bloody chance.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't most of it heats today though?
    I was at work so missed alot of it, but surely the first heat isn't crucial. Some athletes like to save their energy?

I saw the swimming this morning, and rowing. Thought we did well
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 117r)
    We as a nation punch above our weight in sports in general.
    Erm do they? England have made only 1 final ever in footballing tournament history, Germany on the other hand, have made 13.

We haven't won a male tennis major since 1936, and a golfing major since 1996.

In football for example, we've won 1 world cup, 0 european championships. Other countries respectively are at:

Spain 1 - 3
    Italy 4 - 1
    Germany 3 - 3
    France 1 - 2

etc....countries with populations similar to ours.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Also, why does riding require a team? I really didn't get that at all. Why didn't the others in the GB team want to win as well? Clearly at least one of them could have rode with the leading group and won gold themselves.
    Because that's how cycling works.

Wiggins didn't win the Tour on his own. He had 8 guys helping him. Cavendish didn't win the World Road Race Champs on his own, he had 8 guys making sure he got to the right place at the right time. Cycling in road races like these requires a lot of tactics and working together.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's only the first day, so I'm still optimistic that we'll do very well. The games have been pretty awesome so far though.

(Original post by Miracle Day)
    China's sports robots have 4 medals already >.>
    They are unstoppable, it's freaky how good they are.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    But if they don't try and breakaway they are guaranteed to be next to him :confused:

Why couldn't they have done the work alone :confused: Just ride and ride hard at your pace. Clearly none of them believed they could beat Cavendish in a sprint. So don't try, just try and pull away slowly but surely over the whole race rather than stay at a slower pace allowing Cavendish to store up the sprint whilst some leading group have decided to get an unassailable lead.

I guess its all about pace. If there had been 8 or 9 GB riders they would've been able to strategically control the pace of pretty much the whole field, and keep any breakaway groups within touching distance of Mark.

I don't understand the team thing either- but it worked bloody well for Bradley Wiggins!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 29, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.