The Student Room Group

A-Level Grade Boundaries 2012

Scroll to see replies

This is gonna be one mother****ing interesting results day.
Original post by Llewellyn
Yes.

Thank you :h: I massively overcomplicated that whole process in my head somehow... :ninja:
I'm sorry to be really dim but I dont understand how you work out UMS that aren't the boundaries, I know I've got 31/40 and it's 32/40 for a B, 29/40 for a C, how do I go about working out round about what I got?
Reply 43
Original post by Next Level
ocr c4 are u kidding me 57/72 for an A?! that paper was so difficult!

Glad I'm not the only one who thought so. Why can't it be 51 like it has been in the past :rant:
This thread will be crazy tomorrow!!
Original post by TitchTheAntiHero
I'm sorry to be really dim but I dont understand how you work out UMS that aren't the boundaries, I know I've got 31/40 and it's 32/40 for a B, 29/40 for a C, how do I go about working out round about what I got?

32 is 70 UMS (B)
29 is 60 UMS (C)

So those 3 marks split 10 UMS. So 1 raw mark is worth 10/3 = 3.333 UMS.

So you have 31, that is 70-3.333 = 66.667 = 67 UMS. Or it may be 66 if they round down, but I suspect they probably just round to the nearest integer.

If I didn't properly explain then please tell me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tateco
Glad I'm not the only one who thought so. Why can't it be 51 like it has been in the past :rant:

ikr! I was expecting 50 since our whole year found it hard as ****! ocr is a load of bs.
47/80 for Philosophy or Religion and 55/80 for Religious Ethics at A2.

Pleased with that. Pretty sure that I got that.

Thanks very much for the post op!
Reply 48
Not very happy with the grade boundaries of OCR science at all. Biology pacticals look quite high. Damn you OCR. :sigh:
Original post by Llewellyn
32 is 70 UMS (B)
29 is 60 UMS (C)

So those 3 marks split 10 UMS. So 1 raw mark is worth 10/3 = 3.333 UMS.

So you have 31, that is 70-3.333 = 66.667 = 67 UMS. Or it may be 66 if they round down, but I suspect they probably just round to the nearest integer.

If I didn't properly explain then please tell me.

Does it really work like that though? I thought it was on a curve.
I suspect the C4 boundary is probably a result of OCR fixing the % of A*s they can give out.

I don't agree with this policy but I suppose it does prevent inflation.
Original post by Xotol
Not very happy with the grade boundaries of OCR science at all. Biology pacticals look quite high. Damn you OCR. :sigh:

Saaame. I got 32/40 my. worst. ever.
Original post by LeSacMagique
Does it really work like that though? I thought it was on a curve.

A graph of raw marks vs. UMS will either be a straight line (if 100% UMS <= 100% raw) or two straight lines with a common point at 80% UMS, where the line's gradient increases "after" 80% (if 100%UMS > 100% raw).

Actually, this may change for U to E grades... I don't know much about how that is calculated but I think it's still linear.
Reply 53
Biology grade boundaries are tragic!

Especially for the practical, jesus.
AS physics looks promising... :crossedf:
Happy and surprised at some boundaries, good luck to all for Thursday! :smile:
I'm really sorry to ask but I'm a little confuzzled. For my OCR Eng Lit course, last year I got 183/200 UMS, and this year I know I already have 80/80 in the coursework. Do I need the 90% on my A2 exam? As in, 56/60? I thought I needed a notional A* in the AS, then an A in the A2, rather than the other way around...?
Reply 57
The coursework grade boundaries for OCR science are ridiculous I don't know whether to cry or laugh
Reply 58
Original post by Jorddds
Biology grade boundaries are tragic!

Especially for the practical, jesus.

I agree the practical skills unit is crazy, but the other ones don't seem that bad? :K:

Original post by Emmymuppet
I'm really sorry to ask but I'm a little confuzzled. For my OCR Eng Lit course, last year I got 183/200 UMS, and this year I know I already have 80/80 in the coursework. Do I need the 90% on my A2 exam? As in, 56/60? I thought I needed a notional A* in the AS, then an A in the A2, rather than the other way around...?

Given your coursework is not moderated down, you need 100/120 UMS in your exam. This is 54/60 in the exam.
Original post by Emmymuppet

For an A* you need 80% over the whole A-Level and 90% at A2. If you got full marks in the coursework then you need 100/120 UMS on this year's exam. (Same situation as me)

If you are gunning for an A then you need 57/120 on the exam. So it's probably fair to say you've got that at least...
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest