The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You may find some information on university websites...but I personally think (looking at your threads and posts) youre fretting a little too much. Just relax! apply, and hope for the best!:smile:
Reply 2
http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15507

I'm not sure if all of them are on there tho
Reply 3
You won't be the only one trying to play the admissions statistics game.
ermm I know Leeds;

2900 applications
700 interviews
450 offers
250 places

:smile:
The more important figure is applicant to offers than anything else. But the statistics game can backfire, as a lot of people will play it, thus making the "easy" schools ultimately the "hard" ones. Plus who wants to spend 5/6 years in a school they don't really want to go to?

The "Getting into medical school, 200? entry" series also have these stats in quite a lot of detail if you are really interested. 2007 entry one should be out in about june.
Reply 7
michaela_banana
The more important figure is applicant to offers than anything else. But the statistics game can backfire, as a lot of people will play it, thus making the "easy" schools ultimately the "hard" ones. Plus who wants to spend 5/6 years in a school they don't really want to go to?

The "Getting into medical school, 200? entry" series also have these stats in quite a lot of detail if you are really interested. 2007 entry one should be out in about june.

Try here: http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=3

They get their figures from the actual medical schools, if there's no figure next to a school, it's because the school didn't provide one in response to their email.
I'd never even heard of that site. There's quite a lot of gaps. The book does have everything but it's about £10, and I wouldn't buy it again. Your school may have a copy of last years lying around, but the stats change so much each year it's difficult make predictions.
Reply 9
michaela_banana
I'd never even heard of that site. There's quite a lot of gaps. The book does have everything but it's about £10, and I wouldn't buy it again. Your school may have a copy of last years lying around, but the stats change so much each year it's difficult make predictions.

The books stats are out of date. Very out of date. Usually by 2 years.

The site I posted is ran by medical students (2nd year GEPs at Soton).
2006 entry has 2004 entry stats. So 1 year out of date.

And the site you posted is very useful, but if this person wanted more info i was just offering it.
Reply 11
some of the books about gettin into med skl have stats on the back such as number of conditional offers made and number of applications for each uni. just go n have a look in the careers library at your school/ college and u should hopefulli find somethin.
Reply 12
There is significant year on year variation in applications to each school so trying to play the numbers is somewhat fruitless. I think there was an initial perception that the new schools HYMS, Peninsula etc.. would be less popular and as a consequence large numbers applied there making them among the schools with he highest ratios.

In my opinion it is essential to apply to med schools you want to go to rather than places you think you may stand a better chance of getting of an offer for 2 fundamental reasons:-

1. You have to live and study there for at least 6 years.
2. You need to have enthusiasm at interview for the med school you are applying to. Interviewer - why did you apply here? Candidate - because less people apply here than other schools so I thought it would be easier to get in. Rejection on its way.
Reply 13
I remember UCL telling us that they interviewed 700 and gave out 500 oddd offers, but I can't for the life of me remember how many applications they had :confused: