The Student Room Group

Girls - Why you shouldn't use scales

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Nomes89
No comparison needed, it is easy to objectively judge if someone is lean or not. The girl on the left is very slim (size 6-8) but not lean.

One can lose weight on a calorie deficit without too much attention to quality of food and exercise but without a good diet and exercise, one cannot be lean (generally speaking). This is why I say weight loss does not always lead to a lean body. If someone has already gotten to the point where they weigh 50kg and still have a 'fat' appearance, then it is clear they have a higher fat percentage, an imbalance which can only be redressed with gaining muscle not further weight loss.

Saying she is size 6-8 is just guesswork, as well as stating 50kg as 'light' without knowing LBM/height etc.

I do agree with your second point however regarding having to gain muscle/lose fat, which I stated in the last post of mine you quoted.
Reply 121
Original post by Nomes89
No comparison needed, it is easy to objectively judge if someone is lean or not. The girl on the left is very slim (size 6-8) but not lean.

One can lose weight on a calorie deficit without too much attention to quality of food and exercise but without a good diet and exercise, one cannot be lean (generally speaking). This is why I say weight loss does not always lead to a lean body. If someone has already gotten to the point where they weigh 50kg and still have a 'fat' appearance, then it is clear they have a higher fat percentage, an imbalance which can only be redressed with gaining muscle not further weight loss.

This is probably why there is so many comments from men on here along the lines of "anything over size 10 is to fat" ect. She deficiently isn't a size 6. probably a 10. maybe 8 but probably not

agree with the rest of your post.
Original post by Nomes89
You over-estimate the standards of the majority of men, especially those who don't work out.

Overestimate?

Most men are weak and un-coordinated.
Original post by McHumpy92
The point is most girls just aim to be a certain weight and do this by calorie counting or cutting calories. Yes this will get you to your desired weight, but it won't get you to your desired look. To get your desired look you need to exercise and probably do weights.

Lads are different, they don't really have weight goals. their goals are normally to get a 6 pack(so be lean) and then have muscles...this means they eat well to get lean and workout well to get muscles, so they look good.

But saying that the bar is set so high for lads it is much more hard work and the bar is so low for women because pretty much all women fail with diet and exercise.

I mean something like this, would be seen as a massive achievement for a female.
karenpang18.jpg

The male equivalent for time and effort would be laughed at and be called small, weak and pathetic. (srs)...That's not even taking into account that a lot of blokes also take steroids, making what is seen as a good physique even more tough for lads that are natural.

Females have it so easy when it comes to getting a good looking body, apart from your not in control of your tits, but if I had crap ones I would just have a tit job.

...Well isnt someone overcompensating? And that just isn't true, because men have faster metabolisms than women do. I'd say its equally hard for both men and women. besides, not all women go for the terminator look. But I can assure you very few would go for someone with an attitude like yours.
Original post by boba
This is probably why there is so many comments from men on here along the lines of "anything over size 10 is to fat" ect. She deficiently isn't a size 6. probably a 10. maybe 8 but probably not

agree with the rest of your post.

Ok 6 was pushing it, but being a size 8 on top and 10 on the bottom and weighing around 60kg myself I thought about size 8 on bottom and 6 on top due to small waist but hey, you could be right.
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
Overestimate?

Most men are weak and un-coordinated.

But I know plenty of guys that would 'settle' for girl on left and even find it an ideal size :s-smilie:

I think you have high standards because you work out yourself.
Reply 126
I'm surprised you didn't mention height. If you lose fat the numbers usually go down. If you're building muscle it'd be obvious that the weight comes from muscles, scales or no scales. I'm not sure how the first paragraph is even related to the 2nd. If you're a size 8 you probably won't be fat or have much muscle.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Nomes89
But I know plenty of guys that would 'settle' for girl on left and even find it an ideal size :s-smilie:

I think you have high standards because you work out yourself.

Is it wrong to want a woman who isn't the kind that crash diets, follows celebrity idiocy, does not have a clue about nutrition and thinks lifting a barbell is actually more benficial in the long run than a ****ing treadmill?

Apparently it is but I'm not the kind to settle. Lots of women my age who are after a guy so I am not exactly hard picked on women.

I just want a woman that wont make me want to dump her later on in life because the sex goes stale and I dont feel attracted towards her.
Original post by commandant

I agree with the general message, weight and BMI are appalling methods.

I don't agree with the bit in caps. No one at a lighter weight NEEDS to watch their weight if its not a concern for them.

[although if this was a coordinated Witness the Fitness style effort to stir reactions, then good stuff, but should be harsher and in H and R lol]
Reply 129
Original post by Copycats&Acrobats
...Well isnt someone overcompensating? And that just isn't true, because men have faster metabolisms than women do. I'd say its equally hard for both men and women. besides, not all women go for the terminator look. But I can assure you very few would go for someone with an attitude like yours.

Loads of pointless stuff in here....You make no valid points. As a guess I would say you're a 15 year old girl with an IQ of around 90.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 130
315960_180799535341147_181496767_n.jpg
more valid comparison, same person.
(couldn't be arsed to read the whole thread)
Original post by aivi

I think that picture says it all. No one can argue with that
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
Is it wrong to want a woman who isn't the kind that crash diets, follows celebrity idiocy, does not have a clue about nutrition and thinks lifting a barbell is actually more benficial in the long run than a ****ing treadmill?

Apparently it is but I'm not the kind to settle. Lots of women my age who are after a guy so I am not exactly hard picked on women.

I just want a woman that wont make me want to dump her later on in life because the sex goes stale and I dont feel attracted towards her.

And how the bloody hell can you make those assumptions from one photo of a quite healthy looking girl?
Original post by aivi

She just looks like she's sucking her stomach in tbh....
Original post by Whatever9999
Such a Stupid comparison ,i hate these kind of threads !
Seriously each to their own ,if you are happy with your body then good for you .If you don't like what you see in the mirror do something about it .No need to rub your weight and your daily exercise routine in everybody's face .It doesn't matter about your size height or how you look ! the only thing that really matters is how you feel about yourself ??

There are far more important things in life than to look at random images from Google and make conclusions.

To be honest nobody is every happy. By virtue of being human we are at best temporarily content with how we look.
Reply 135
Original post by G56
Actually your weight should be proportional to your weight.

I would never have been able to figure that one out....
Original post by McHumpy92
Loads of pointless stuff in here....You make no valid points. As a guess I would say you're a 15 year old girl with an IQ of around 90.

Nope. I'm 21, and last time I was tested my IQ was 129. :smile: but I'd make an educated guess that you're still single. That or your girlfriend is Jeremy kyle style desperate and gags you.

...and the difference between the metabolism of men and women does make a difference.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Astronomical
To be honest nobody is every happy. By virtue of being human we are at best temporarily content with how we look.

I do feel self concious sometimes ,but i'm mostly happy of how i look !we just need to learn to embrace what we got ,i don't have perfect body or perfect height ,but i always try and make myself feel better .
Reply 138
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
She just looks like she's sucking her stomach in tbh....

Um no. She clearly has more definition in her arms and legs and stomach. Also if she were sucking in her stomach her ribs would probably be more elevated, and the visibility of her abdominals would be a bit different.
Though of course the most logical explanation is that it's fake/staged :rolleyes:
It is a scientific fact that muscle is more dense than fat, thus having more muscle instead fat will make you heavier and look slimmer.
Another proof that scales are not the be all when it comes to looking good

dhTZi.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest