The Student Room Group

The polytechnic delusion.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by nulli tertius
You mean that the world is really controlled by a secret society called the Russell Group.

It would certainly explain why things are such a mess.
Original post by Lady Maleficent
Because, presumably, Eton presents its A-level students with the same examination papers (or similar) to those at a tough comprehensive because of the exam board system.

In contrast, universities have some autonomy over their examination system. A module and its exam at Oxbridge is going to be a lot harder and intellectually rigorous than the same at a poor university.

Fair point, actually (I tend to forget about exams being standardised because I didn't grow up in this country). I still think the point about the individual stands: that companies are always hiring individuals. If an individual has done well at their degree (even if it is a bit easier) and is showing the necessary qualities then I think they still think they will be looked at. And ultimately the job application is a bit like taking those A-levels: it is a standardised way (within each company) for a company to establish whether they want to hire someone. The education they have behind them is a facilitator for them being able to make the application.

Though I don't disagree with the concept (for example) that overall Leeds has a better reputation than Leeds Met, I simply disagree that every single time that the Leeds graduate would get the job.
Reply 22
It also depends on the subjects. Some ex-polys are involved in running medical degree in association with other universities; some older universities are ranked lower than some ex-polys; and it's not easy to get into some ex-polys for some subjects (e.g. aeronautical engineering at Kingston). Some ex-polys also do subjects not available at older universities (e.g. I don't think Oxford or Cambridge offer pharmacy).

Gradually these distinctions will be eroded but it will be horses for courses (almost literally!) with some places being better for some specialities. There will always tend to be an elite group overall of course, which will attract the best researchers and grants.
Reply 23
I've never felt discriminated against for going to a so-called 'lower tier' university. I don't attend an ex-poly but most assume for some reason that I do. The university I go to won't lower my career prospects. Though this may be because I attend a uni famous for its teacher training, and I want to be a teacher.
only subjects worth doing at ex poly are pre 1991 subjects , and vocational subects like engineering

oxbridge engineers probs have more theory thrown at them but most of it is not relavent
ex poly engineers probs get taught the bare minimum, but you know how that joke goes " what do you call a doctor who graduated bottom of his class".

Quick Reply

Latest