Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Dark Knight rises vs The Dark Knight

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: Which was the better film?
    Dark Knight rises
    13.40%
    Dark Knight
    71.13%
    Equally good
    15.46%

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Simple thread.

Which do you think was the better film?

They were both awesome but I think the dark knight edges it. I can remember a few very intense scenes like the one where the Joker goes to the mansion. The new film didn't have anything like that.
    I also didn't think bane was a very good villain and this is going to be pretty controversial but I didn't like the ending, I'd have preferred it if he would have died at the end.

Also, the new one was a bit too long.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Dark Knight was more unpredictable, and the Joker was the perfect villain.

I loved TDKR, however it was predictable and lacked the style of its predecessor. It did however, have more emotional scenes, every scene involving Alfred was excellent, in tears for alot of them.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was blown away by TDKR, but to be honest in my opinion TDK was better for the reasons listed above by daviesblue.

Interesting what the OP said about length. I would actually argue that TDK was more drawn out.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    TDKR was dreadful
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dark Knight 9/10
    Dark Knight rises 7/10
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Dark Knight, no two ways about it. TDKR is a very well-made movie, but I feel the sheer scale and ambition of it is it's downfall. There's simply too much going on, it just hurtles us from one plot point to another, some of it just felt downright rushed, which sounds ridiculous to say about a near 3 hour film.

With TDK, it was the Batman vs Joker saga that was the centre point, everything else revolved around that. That made it was a far more tightly plotted and focused movie than its sequel. And of course, Heath Ledger's performance is in a league of its own. I really think its a masterpiece and will go down as the comic book genre's finest hour.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Both exceptional - although DK had the Joker, one of the greatest villains of all time, Dark Knight Rises had a better cast, with Bane being 80% as good as Joker, with Hathaway and Gordon-Levitt also fantastic.

I think in terms of Storyline, DKR was better, examining Gothem in greater depth and showing Batmans highs AND lows.

An excellent ending too
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    I spent way too long during the dark knight rises trying to understand what Bane was saying. :confused:

I thought the Joker was a better villain and was played amazingly well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Dark Knight was a lot better, the joker played by Heath Ledger was amazing. Some of the best acting i've seen in a long time and there were some unbelievable scenes in that film. One of my all time favourite films. RIP Heath Ledger
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    am i the only one who hated the dark knight? doesn't click for me unfortunately. Because of that I'm not gonna watch the dark knight rises.

And for the love of God he's called batman, I don't know why they refer to him as the dark knight :facepalm:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilyas)
    am i the only one who hated the dark knight? doesn't click for me unfortunately. Because of that I'm not gonna watch the dark knight rises.

And for the love of God he's called batman, I don't know why they refer to him as the dark knight :facepalm:
    Watch The Dark Knight again. It explains it... :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Dark Knight. I could go into more detail but basically, as big as some of the set pieces in The Dark Knight Rises were, it was a very flat experience compared to The Dark Knight. The fate of Harvey Dent alone was more heartbreaking than anything that happened in 'Rises.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dark Knight, Bane bored me.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Dark Knight, definitely. TDKR was great, I thought it was a fantastic end to the trilogy, but Heath Ledger as the Joker was just phenomenal. Both are fantastic though, just that TDK had that extra suspense.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think Batman Begi.. oh wait.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daviesblue)
    The Dark Knight was more unpredictable, and the Joker was the perfect villain.

I loved TDKR, however it was predictable and lacked the style of its predecessor. It did however, have more emotional scenes, every scene involving Alfred was excellent, in tears for alot of them.
    Exactly just that. The eeriness that the Joker brought to TDK made trying to find out what his next plan was that much more thrilling, and vice versa.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    What about the other one?

But seriously. TDK was better IMO. I was constantly wondering what would happen during each scene, and it gave me thrills throughout, whereas it wasn't the same for TDKR. Really liked Rises, but not as good as the film before. I also think it's because the acting by Heath Ledger set the bar a bit too high for this film to reach it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Dark Knight.

But seeing as it as just come out, and there's some awesome scenes, I'm going for 'Equally good' atm.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any reason Batman Begins wasn't involved in the poll? Anyway with the choices given TDK wins easily, TDKR's ending was too much like the Avengers for me to be impressed (not to say the TDKR isn't a great film, I just expected more from the ending)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dark Knight 10/10
    compared to Dark Knight Rises which is 7 or an 8/10 xx

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 3, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.