The Student Room Group

Biomedical science

Hi,

Any medical students out there who have either applied for graduate medicine with a biomedical degree or any whom have transferred from 2nd year?

I know that students at Newcastle and St Georges have the option of transferring proving they get (aprox) >65% in end of year exams. Any other universities do this?

Thanks
Bump?
Reply 2
Original post by Macromolecular
Hi,

Any medical students out there who have either applied for graduate medicine with a biomedical degree or any whom have transferred from 2nd year?

I know that students at Newcastle and St Georges have the option of transferring proving they get (aprox) >65% in end of year exams. Any other universities do this?

Thanks

I got into GEM with a BSc in biomedical sciences. What do you want to know?

(Might be easier to PM me if you have very specific/personal questions :smile:).
Hi democracy,

I want to apply this year but I only got a 2:1, what uni did you get into and with what degree class? Thanks in advance

MM
Reply 4
Original post by minhajulmadinah
Hi democracy,

I want to apply this year but I only got a 2:1, what uni did you get into and with what degree class? Thanks in advance

MM

There's nothing "only" about a 2:1, all the cool kids get 2:1s :wink:

As you might have guessed I got a 2:1 too...and I got offers from Warwick and Barts and The London.
Thanks Democracy,

I'm not very confident in applying as this will be my 3rd time applying. I applied at A-level and then again in at the end of my 2nd year at university now that i have graduated I still want to become a doctor but the application is daunting and i'm quite scared. especially because i want to sit the gamsat this year and it is alot of investment in it doesn't work out. do you have any advice since you have been through this?
Thanks Democracy,

I'm not very confident in applying as this will be my 3rd time applying. I applied at A-level and then again in at the end of my 2nd year at university now that i have graduated I still want to become a doctor but the application is daunting and i'm quite scared. especially because i want to sit the gamsat this year and it is alot of investment in it doesn't work out. do you have any advice since you have been through this?

For Nottingham you can get a 2:2 so long as you do well in the GAMSAT, so don't worry about only having a 2:1!

It is a hard exam, and I'll be sitting it this year too (in Nottingham). My advice is to make a preparatory revision timetable of all the subjects likely to be tested.

Try and get your hands on the Griffith's GAMSAT review; it's worth the money and gives you a list of topics to prepare. As biomedical scientists, we have the advantage of knowing all of the biology (and some chemistry) already.
Reply 7
Thanks Democracy,

Apply strategically. I can't emphasise this enough. However much you love Newcastle (for example) there's no point applying there if your UKCAT is say 600. Download the admissions policies of the schools you're interested in, go through them and make sure you put yourself in the best possible position to get interviews.

I never did the GAMSAT so I can't advise on that, but since you have a 2:1 you could do just the UKCAT instead (it's much easier and you get the results on the day which means you can use your score to apply strategically).
Original post by Democracy
Apply strategically. I can't emphasise this enough. However much you love Newcastle (for example) there's no point applying there if your UKCAT is say 600. Download the admissions policies of the schools you're interested in, go through them and make sure you put yourself in the best possible position to get interviews.

I never did the GAMSAT so I can't advise on that, but since you have a 2:1 you could do just the UKCAT instead (it's much easier and you get the results on the day which means you can use your score to apply strategically).

This. Do the UKCAT and if you get a good score don't bother with the GAMSAT. If you get a bad score then do it and focus your application on GAMSAT unis and unis which don't use the UKCAT very much.
Thank you all for you advice. I agree that a strategic approach would be most sensible. do you have any advice regarding personal statements as i'm struggling to see how I would write one being a graduate in biomed? most PS threads talk about personal statements for school leavers but how should graduates structure theirs. Should I include a detailed section about my project for example?
Thank you all for you advice. I agree that a strategic approach would be most sensible. do you have any advice regarding personal statements as i'm struggling to see how I would write one being a graduate in biomed? most PS threads talk about personal statements for school leavers but how should graduates structure theirs. Should I include a detailed section about my project for example?

My advice in terms of personal statement and my degree would be to keep it short -- maybe a paragraph. Everyone applying with biomedical science will likely comment on the same things: you're well equipped with human physiology knowledge to succeed in medicine, you're analytical and can utilise information from different sources to come to conclusions (how does this relate to a doctor and diagnoses?), and yes you may have had experience of project management where you have taken on a lot of responsibility.

Biomed graduates are obviously common applicants to medicine but for good reason, the course does equip you well for a career in medicine and you should emphasise WHY on your PS.
Thanks Matt
Reply 12
I am doing Biomedical sciences at northumbria uni. any body out there from this course and uni, who were successful in getting into medicine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending