Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How come the Chinese are not good at football?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A population of over a billion with the popularity of the beautiful game growing in the country,how come the 'inventors' of the game are rubbish at it?

China isn't even in the top 5 best football countries in Asia.

They have proven that they are decent at sports.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    It might be because it is a team sport. The majority of sports they are fantastic at are individual based sports. In a team game, be it football, rugby or cricket, it takes more than just technical ability. Team work and general being in a team is something China lacks as the country is very much each to their own to become the best.

I may be incorrect but that's my opinion anyway...
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because China is so densely populated, there is no room for Football Pitches.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Football's only really taken off there the last 10 years or so...nowhere near enough time to start putting the facilities in place to breed the next generation of footballers. give it another 10-15 years or so n they'll be a decent team. doubt they'll ever get any better than that though.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tubemap)
    Because they're all in the kitchen cooking special fried rice.. duh!
    omg, how many chinese people do you know that eat doritoz?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    how come the UK isnt good at long distance running?
    how come ethiopia isnt good at gymnastics?

it is a stupid question. the chinese dont realy put much effort into football and hence excelling in olympic sports such as gymnastics and swimming etc.

it is the same with ethiopians not being good at gymnastics, they just put all of their efforts into long distance hence get lots of gold.

it is about getting gold at the end of the day not being second or third
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by planetconwy1)
    Because China is so densely populated, there is no room for Football Pitches.
    We're more densely populated than them..
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Question really shold be "how come they're not good..at the moment?"

They will be up there soon. The way they indoctrinate sports into the youth over there, sooner or later there'll be a decent team emerging. Doubt you'll ever get the same flair/imagination as you find here, but they'll be workmanlike and efficient. The Stoke of international teams
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHUTUPMAN)
    how come the 'inventors' of the game are rubbish at it?
    England isn't "rubbish" at football :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because the Chinese don't put that much effort into building good sporting teams, I mean if China has almost twice the number of people than there are in Europe, then the Chinese should be able to put a decent team together.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Question really shold be "how come they're not good..at the moment?"

They will be up there soon. The way they indoctrinate sports into the youth over there, sooner or later there'll be a decent team emerging. Doubt you'll ever get the same flair/imagination as you find here, but they'll be workmanlike and efficient. The Stoke of international teams
    Totally agree with that, I say give it 10 years and China will be very competitive at a international level. I'll stick my neck out and say that within 20 years they'll win the World Cup.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because they only care about real sports.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of football. Too religious for my liking.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    For team sports they play more Basketball than Football.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    do u want them to be good so they can take gold again.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Optimistic Ram)
    Totally agree with that, I say give it 10 years and China will be very competitive at a international level. I'll stick my neck out and say that within 20 years they'll win the World Cup.
    It's not really sticking your neck out. TSR people may be sad but even they are not sad enough to be noting it down in their diary, ready to call you out for your dodgy predictions twenty years down the line.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    wait in ten years time
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It might be because it is a team sport. The majority of sports they are fantastic at are individual based sports. In a team game, be it football, rugby or cricket, it takes more than just technical ability. Team work and general being in a team is something China lacks as the country is very much each to their own to become the best.

I may be incorrect but that's my opinion anyway...
    What about their basketball team? They're quite successful, especially in the Asian Games and the Asian FIBA cup, plus they're 10th seed worldwide.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's one sport out of many, I did say majority in my original post!

Sports like diving, shooting and swimming where you really only need one person China are amazing at, others they are not. It'll be interesting at the end of the games to tally up China's medals for team sports and individual sports, then see what's what.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's a good question.. I hear the women's football team is pretty good, but in comparison the men's league is plagued with corruption. A lot of football fans in China also aren't interested in their domestic league and only care about the main teams in the UK, France, Germany, Italy etc, which is disappointing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    That's one sport out of many, I did say majority in my original post!
    I mean, what makes China's basketball team successful compared to their other roster-orientated sports teams.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 30, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.