The Student Room Group

Equestrian:Eventing Jumping and dressage

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Not really, you're implying that she's on our Olympic team because she was born into a rich family which happens to be the family of our monarch. She's not, she's there because she's a damn good rider.

Agreed! She has put in a hell of a lot off effort to be where she is!

Posted from mars
Original post by lukas1051
It's not a sport, and I'll belittle it as much as I like. It's sitting on a horse while it gallops around a square. As far as skill is concerned the animal does all the work, all the rider has to do is balance (not difficult to learn) and memorise a few commands. It's only in the Olympics because of tradition, there are sports which require far more ability and training that aren't in the Olympics.

The only **** here is you and the others who think there is nothing to it. Its a life long every day uphill struggle in rain wind snow blistering heat to become that good! If you think its just balance you have a lot to learn. I show jump and if you think keeping a hot headed animal calm enough to jump around a course of 1.50 and up fences is easy you are very much mistaken. Horses these days in jumping have to be as careful as nudists over barbed wire fences. The rider has to keep them balanced and straight aswell as have them produced from youngsters to compete in such a big stage
Reply 62
Original post by taraheartsdancer
The only **** here is you and the others who think there is nothing to it. Its a life long every day uphill struggle in rain wind snow blistering heat to become that good! If you think its just balance you have a lot to learn. I show jump and if you think keeping a hot headed animal calm enough to jump around a course of 1.50 and up fences is easy you are very much mistaken. Horses these days in jumping have to be as careful as nudists over barbed wire fences. The rider has to keep them balanced and straight aswell as have them produced from youngsters to compete in such a big stage

Who puts in more effort, the horse or you? Whatever the rider is telling the horse to do, the horse is the one to actually do it, plus put up with carrying someone who is whipping them.
Original post by Hopple
Who puts in more effort, the horse or you? Whatever the rider is telling the horse to do, the horse is the one to actually do it, plus put up with carrying someone who is whipping them.

a) dressage riders dont carry whips
B) whips are meant to be used as an aid not a punishment
c) riders have to be just as fit as the horse to compete what you think horse riders sit on they're bums all day and then just decide to compete - it took forever to give Mary King her Caseran due to the amount of muscle that she had.
All in all horse riders look like a useless bunch but the point is thats how its meant to look Effortless :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by taraheartsdancer
a) dressage riders dont carry whips
B) whips are meant to be used as an aid not a punishment
c) riders have to be just as fit as the horse to compete what you think horse riders sit on they're bums all day and then just decide to compete - it took forever to give Mary King her Caseran due to the amount of muscle that she had.
All in all horse riders look like a useless bunch but the point is thats how its meant to look Effortless :smile:

a) and b) are an aside. As for c), would the human be able to do what the horse does jumping over stuff, plus carry a weight on their back? I don't think riders just sit all day, but nor would I put them in the same league as runners, swimmers, cyclists etc, people who push their maximum energy expenditure up as high as possible.
Original post by Hopple
a) and b) are an aside. As for c), would the human be able to do what the horse does jumping over stuff, plus carry a weight on their back? I don't think riders just sit all day, but nor would I put them in the same league as runners, swimmers, cyclists etc, people who push their maximum energy expenditure up as high as possible.

The truth of the matter as someone who only ever rode horses I was as fit as everybodywho ran did high jump etc. Its only people who dont compete regularly that think horse riders arent fit because they dont have to do all chores included in working with top class animals. Horse riders are as much athletes as people who run swim etc.

Quick Reply

Latest