Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Are most British Muslims homophobic?

Announcements Posted on
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    But every muslim believes by definition that shariah law is flawless and has to be followed whenever possible.
    Sounds like our Zionist Israeli here sure knows a lot. Have you been learning from Rabbi's or something? I'd start with Torah before delving into other religions, as that will prepare you for anything lol.

You can't go around cutting people's hands of, whether you're in a Non-Muslim country or even a Muslim one. When Muslims "follow Shariah", it means, fasting during ramadan, praying 5 times a day, staying away from alcohol and so on.

State based Shariah rules are out of the control of Muslims, and as long as the nation isn't oppressing you from practising the fundamentals of your beliefs, or forcing you to do something contradictory to Islam, you can abide by their laws.

ps. At least you go the flawless part right.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But every muslim believes by definition that shariah law is flawless and has to be followed whenever possible.
    (Original post by Perseveranze)
    When Muslims "follow Shariah", it means, fasting during ramadan, praying 5 times a day, staying away from alcohol and so on.

State based Shariah rules are out of the control of Muslims
    This.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammyChoos)
    This.
    I wouldn't jump to agree with perservearance if I were you. I stopped replying to any post this dude makes because he's either a troll or exceptionally stupid.

Just now he jumped to labeling me "jewish" and "zionist" simply because I told him a few months ago that I was born in Israel. He's the most racist extremist person on TSR.

Anyway, it doesn't matter when or where shariah law is being implemented. My logic goes like this

- if a person is muslim, they agree with shariah law
    - shariah law dictates that being gay is wrong and merits punishment
    - therefore a muslim person would agree that being gay is wrong (otherwise they'd have to admit that shariah law is wrong)
    - so islamic followers are homophobic by default
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't jump to agree with perservearance if I were you. I stopped replying to any post this dude makes because he's either a troll or exceptionally stupid.

Just now he jumped to labeling me "jewish" and "zionist" simply because I told him a few months ago that I was born in Israel. He's the most racist extremist person on TSR.

Anyway, it doesn't matter when or where shariah law is being implemented. My logic goes like this

- therefore a muslim person would agree that being gay is wrong (otherwise they'd have to admit that shariah law is wrong)
    Oh I didnt know. my apologies

I understand where you're coming from with your logic.
    Homophobia is defined as "fear and hate against homosexuals"
    but im saying that Muslims dont fear or hate homosexuals (therefore aren't homophobic)... they just dont agree with homosexualilty because for muslims sex is for having children and because homosexuals can't have children naturally they dont see the point in it if you know what I mean.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrigidSymphony)
    Christians, indeed, Jews, not so much.

But tell me, why the urge to constantly point out that other religions are *******s as well? It's not like it's making yours sound any better.
    that what you christians do constanly. almost turning the peoples eyes away from how horrific your religion is.

u dont hear jews cuz there arent realy much gay jews same with muslims
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For what it's worth, I've known several muslims from Pakistan, Saudi, etc. They were all VERY homophobic. They probably wouldn't have acknowledged me anymore if I told them I was gay (which I'm not). But other than that they were actually really nice guys. The homophobia almost seemed comically out of place coming from them.

I wouldn't try and drawn any wider conclusions about British Muslims based on all that though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaboon-supreme)
    that what you christians do constanly. almost turning the peoples eyes away from how horrific your religion is.

u dont hear jews cuz there arent realy much gay jews same with muslims
    I'm not a Christian, and I've spent a great many hours tearing into some of the insaner Christians on this forum. Unfortunately for you, there are far less insane Christians here than there are insane Muslims.

In any case, pointing fingers and yelping "but what about them! They're just as bad!" doesn't help your position at all. Try it if you're ever in court. "But sir, why should I be punished for stealing? That guy in the Barclays office did it too and no one did anything about that!"

See how far it gets you.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is more of a theist (in general) issue is it not?

Don't think traditional religion has ever been on good terms with gay people sadly...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh and FYI, a muslim ,gay or not, will be judged by Allah only and thats the persons problem. No one else should have to butt in.
    Actually pretty sure Allah would have a problem with other people endoring that person to be gay (sin) and for letting that gay person to encourage others to be gay.

Fact of the matter is. If your gay you have to drop your religion if it does not support homosexuality. Not dropping it is living the real lie.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

Your logic is stupid.

Believing in God and that Mohammed is His messenger does not = we should kill all gays!1!!!1111!!!!!!

I'm not homophobic. None of us have a choice who we're attracted to or who we fall in love with. You have no control over whether you're gay or not, so there can be no virtue or sin in being gay. Love who you love, and don't hurt anyone else, simple as.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vortexbubbles)
    Actually pretty sure Allah would have a problem with other people endoring that person to be gay (sin) and for letting that gay person to encourage others to be gay.

Fact of the matter is. If your gay you have to drop your religion if it does not support homosexuality. Not dropping it is living the real lie.
    No religion supports homosexuality but you cant force people to not be religious. Its impossible.. And homosexuality isnt contagious that people will suddenly become gay after being near another gay person. People have the choice on whether to act on their homosexuality. Life is a test.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No religion supports homosexuality but you cant force people to not be religious. Its impossible.. And homosexuality isnt contagious that people will suddenly become gay after being near another gay person. People have the choice on whether to act on their homosexuality. Life is a test.
    I'm sure you'd feel exactly the same way if you were the one being told to live in contradiction to your nature.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cityboy2012)
    This has been on my mind for a while considering i have gay Muslim friends. I'd want to know how Muslim students here would react to them. Would you avoid them, ignore them, ostracise them, beat them up etc? What do non-Muslims think who have Muslim friends? These friends of mine are good people, they pray 5 times a day, they fast during Ramadhan and they just want to belong. They are proud to be of their faith, some engage in a range of activities from celibacy, monogamous relationship to living an moc (or marrying a gay guy/girl for cover). All of them hide their identity though. They would also make good friends for straight Muslims. Unfortunately, as soon as it gets out they are gay a lot of their straight Muslim friends avoid them, some have parents who disown and kick them out.

One of my gay asian male Muslim friends, who is a virgin, recently got raped by a straight/bi Muslim guy in a married relationship. He thought they were just friends but the guy took advantage of him. He is an immigrant for overseas, he is in fear of his visa being taken away, of being exposed as gay in his homeland
    This guy is a romantic sort of guy and he was waiting for someone special to have a relationship with but this guy, who is an upstanding British asian citizen, took advantage of him. It has been too late for him to give medical evidence since a week has passed ..but the fact of the matter is who will beleive him. Who will support him in his community. Just because he knows he is gay and doesn't want to engage in a false marriage people will be biased against him and think he is maligning the other guy. These guys don't choose to be gay, they have no feelings for women so why torture them further by rejecting them even more then they already have.

A lot of my gay friends are supportive of Muslims having religious freedom but from what i've read i don't see this thought reciprocated.

I've heard incidents happen in the past but i don't think they represent all Muslims.

http://www.news24.com/World/News/Bri...hobia-20120120

This news has reached further than UK shores.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann..._b_828037.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/ma...-homosexuality

Why do British Muslims seem to dislike gays so much, even compared to Muslims of other countries? Why can't you see them as humans deserving of respect. I'm sure none of you are perfect so why judge?

So if you're a Muslim, how would you react to a gay Muslim or a gay non-Muslim?
    How do non-Muslims think their Muslim friends would respond?

If i can make even one Muslim person, who is close-minded, be a little open minded i will feel like i have achieved something.
    Most people around the world are homophobic they just hide
    as most are racists but they just hide it
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    Your logic is stupid.

Believing in God and that Mohammed is His messenger does not = we should kill all gays!1!!!1111!!!!!!

I'm not homophobic. None of us have a choice who we're attracted to or who we fall in love with. You have no control over whether you're gay or not, so there can be no virtue or sin in being gay. Love who you love, and don't hurt anyone else, simple as.
    I know that not all muslims are homopobic and that's kind of my point. Many people who call temselves muslims don't actually agree with everything the quran says. It's just something they were born with, so they agree with it by default.

The result is an apparently very confused person. They know they should agree with everything the quran says so the islamic part of their brains go "sariah law is right in punishing gay people" while at the same time the human part of their brains admits that being gay is natural and that there's nothing wrong with it.

The latter part has nothing to do with the quran.

Only the true extremists will say that it's not unfortunate for a shariah state to hang gay people, and those are the people who actually follow the quran to the letter.

I didn't want to make this statement explicitly because I know many people would take offense to it but I'll do it now: most people who label themselves muslim are not actually muslim. They just don't take their time to honestly study their own religion and question it because questioning it is a sin in the first place.

Oh I didnt know. my apologies

I understand where you're coming from with your logic.
    Homophobia is defined as "fear and hate against homosexuals"
    but im saying that Muslims dont fear or hate homosexuals (therefore aren't homophobic)... they just dont agree with homosexualilty because for muslims sex is for having children and because homosexuals can't have children naturally they dont see the point in it if you know what I mean.

See the reply I gave up there to ABC.

You don't agree with islam either.

Islam says that executing gay people is correct (whether the state does it or not is irrelevant). If a state executes a person for being gay and you go "this is not right" then you aren't agreeing with the state (shariah) and you aren't homophobic.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    UK Muslims hate the West, it's not real surprise, is it?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calikesindobabes)
    UK Muslims hate the West, it's not real surprise, is it?
    I'm really not at all racist, but when Muslims say they hate this country I just say: 'why the **** are you here then? Pakistan is much better I'm sure...'

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cityboy2012)
    This has been on my mind for a while considering i have gay Muslim friends. I'd want to know how Muslim students here would react to them. Would you avoid them, ignore them, ostracise them, beat them up etc? What do non-Muslims think who have Muslim friends? These friends of mine are good people, they pray 5 times a day, they fast during Ramadhan and they just want to belong. They are proud to be of their faith, some engage in a range of activities from celibacy, monogamous relationship to living an moc (or marrying a gay guy/girl for cover). All of them hide their identity though. They would also make good friends for straight Muslims. Unfortunately, as soon as it gets out they are gay a lot of their straight Muslim friends avoid them, some have parents who disown and kick them out.

One of my gay asian male Muslim friends, who is a virgin, recently got raped by a straight/bi Muslim guy in a married relationship. He thought they were just friends but the guy took advantage of him. He is an immigrant for overseas, he is in fear of his visa being taken away, of being exposed as gay in his homeland
    This guy is a romantic sort of guy and he was waiting for someone special to have a relationship with but this guy, who is an upstanding British asian citizen, took advantage of him. It has been too late for him to give medical evidence since a week has passed ..but the fact of the matter is who will beleive him. Who will support him in his community. Just because he knows he is gay and doesn't want to engage in a false marriage people will be biased against him and think he is maligning the other guy. These guys don't choose to be gay, they have no feelings for women so why torture them further by rejecting them even more then they already have.

A lot of my gay friends are supportive of Muslims having religious freedom but from what i've read i don't see this thought reciprocated.

I've heard incidents happen in the past but i don't think they represent all Muslims.

http://www.news24.com/World/News/Bri...hobia-20120120

This news has reached further than UK shores.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann..._b_828037.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/ma...-homosexuality

Why do British Muslims seem to dislike gays so much, even compared to Muslims of other countries? Why can't you see them as humans deserving of respect. I'm sure none of you are perfect so why judge?

So if you're a Muslim, how would you react to a gay Muslim or a gay non-Muslim?
    How do non-Muslims think their Muslim friends would respond?

If i can make even one Muslim person, who is close-minded, be a little open minded i will feel like i have achieved something.
    For starters, I am a muslim who is very open minded and in my opinion being gay is not a choice as it is an emotion you can choose to show or hide just like every emotion. I think that being gay should be considered as being straight and not brought up as if it were something strange.
    There is not an actual proof of your answer as you have not shown statistics.

You are right regarding no one is perfect enough to judge, but why should you judge the majority of Muslims in Britain? Considering the fact they are many other religions not in favor of homosexuals even some atheists (though are not the majority).
    As regards to a friend being gay, i would have no reaction as it has not changed to person they are so I will carry on as normal.

Hope that gave you a different view point.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how people can live their lives defined by religion- how can you truly know that there is a God ? Indoctrination leads to an inferior lifestyle which leads to dysfunctional attitudes towards things like homosexuality
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by `R92)
    Very worrying that there are people in this country following these kinds of principles.
    Plenty of Christians follow these principles too. Go to the US and see what Christianity is really about, it's just as homophobic as Islam. Infact i'd go one step further and say Christianity is almost identical to Islam, it's just that some muslims are a bit more hardcore. If you're an atheist and you criticize one of them, you'll have to do the same with the other.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathhead)
    I'm really not at all racist, but when Muslims say they hate this country I just say: 'why the **** are you here then? Pakistan is much better I'm sure...'

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
    I've seen many more white English people say exactly the same thing and i'm not a muslim.
Updated: December 23, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.