The Student Room Group

Any graduates feel they'll be left behind in life? Read on...

Scroll to see replies

I think the problem with a lot of graduates from top institutions is that they had no work experience at all? Internships are negligible, I think employers understand how competitive they are and more importantly how not everyone is able to undertake weeks of unpaid work.

When I was in my third year (I've recently graduated, had a job waiting for me before I left for reference) there was a notable difference between those getting interviews & offers, and those getting rejected from the outset: employment. I'm not suggesting you need to get into the ridiculously competitive world of uni internships/placements but even working a few shifts at River Island looks better in their eyes than nothing. When interviewing firms often have "competencies"- those on my course answering purely with answers from uni/school must have looked weaker than those who could link it into real world work experience?

It's a shame because those at top unis are always led to believe that academia and high grades alone will secure you a good job like it did for your parents. So to focus upon your grades, don't get a job to interfere with your studies as recommended by your teachers/parents/peers.

To all undergrads ****ting themselves over what's going on in this thread- the best advice I could give is get a job absolutely anywhere. You CAN get good grades and work if you schedule your time well, in uni holidays I used to work 60 hour weeks (this was through necessity I don't recommend replicating it) and still came out of a redbrick uni with a first. Employers want to see you being proactive, that you have some experience in the work place, etc etc.

Also good luck to grads trying to find work- the only thing careers-wise I would recommend is prospects.ac.uk and the Uni of Kent's careers website! They're both really good resources for guiding you through the application process.
Original post by Renacata
...Going to apply for every internship I can find for the next year, then :/

For those who've managed to get placements: if an application form specifically asks for relevant work experience, and I don't have anything relevant and recent, should I put down non-relevant jobs/ECs/voluntary work? I'm studying physics and I'd be applying for related internships; my ECs are mainly charity-based and I've done a bit of office temping... not relevant at all! It might sound like a bit of dumb question but I'd be worrying that they'd just see that I'd ignored the 'relevant' part of the form and that might annoy them :/ Or should I split my CV into 'relevant experience' and 'other experience' or something?

I've had two placements so far and applied for well over a dozen in total and never once came across any that specifically asked for relevant work experience, so I think you'll be fine without it, not something I'd worry about.
Reply 102
Have you considered blogging for money on the side while you look for something?

I am considering getting into it myself, some people have made good money from it. Also, buying/selling on Ebay
Reply 103
Yeah, it was! Ahh, would you consider buying stuff in bulk to sell on?

You can get paid through affiliate links and through advertising, such as google adsense. I am still learning about it myself and have yet to start but I think it is definitely an option.

There is loads of info on the Moneysavingexpert forum and on www.problogger.com
Original post by PrivateWealth
Probably the best post on here. "only the top 20%. Do you notice something? The top 20% for both era's will still get the job. Thats what you gotto do, get to the top. Its a dog eat dog world out there, use that to push yourself to the limit. ." I don't think people have woken up to the fact that a getting a first or a 2.1 is just to keep the door open. If you want to blast through it, ECs, internships at uni etc are the way forward.

Thank you Private Wealth, that's very nice of you to say.

I want to hear more of students and their views as I start work the department of BIS, which includes regulating the Higher Education Sector.

I will also be launching a E-book (which I intend for it to be free - at least for a bit depending on costs), to keep you guys updated on my own experiences and to give hints and tips on how to secure a career.

In the meantime, the link on my signature has abstracts of the upcoming book, feel free to comment =),

might change the name of it too..

Kind regards,

JL
Reply 105
Original post by RabbitCFH
Immigration laws. :tongue:

You can get an internship / job in America... I know quite a few people interning in the US at the moment, if you find a company that wants you it shouldn't be a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending