The Student Room Group

Geography A level

What does geography Alevel contain is it much different to GCSE?
I have done geography GCSE but predicted a C so i done foundation would this be a disadvantage to me at Alevel and do you think i would struggle?
what topics is on the syllabus? and what is the exams like?
thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by scousegirl
What does geography Alevel contain is it much different to GCSE?
I have done geography GCSE but predicted a C so i done foundation would this be a disadvantage to me at Alevel and do you think i would struggle?
what topics is on the syllabus? and what is the exams like?
thank you!

You would probably struggle and would require to put in a lot of self study to get up to speed. Regarding what topics you study it depends on the exam board and your school will usually choose the topics you need to do from those that they provide. The exams are loooong and you will find yourself writing lots of pages and at times really stretched for time (This was my experience with A level AQA Geography)
Original post by myyrh
You would probably struggle and would require to put in a lot of self study to get up to speed. Regarding what topics you study it depends on the exam board and your school will usually choose the topics you need to do from those that they provide. The exams are loooong and you will find yourself writing lots of pages and at times really stretched for time (This was my experience with A level AQA Geography)

Some bits I agree with, some bits I don't.

I've taught A Level and an examiner for AQA.

I wouldn't agree that the OP would struggle, he may struggle, but you don't require GCSE geography, it could require more work, but it depends how quick he'd pick it up, and most schools/SFCs will at least require a C, and a C at GCSE going in to A Level is pretty standard, as that's where the A Level content 'starts' so people with a C can do an easy progression to A Level.

All the exam boards have very similar if not the same content, terms differ, some go in to more detail/different things, but generally it is fairly similar. Most centres will give students choice, some don't.

For the exams, all the exam boards are like that, especially for Units 1 & 3, units 2, 4A and 4B less so. If you don't like essays or remembering a lot, A Level geography you will struggle with, however if you struggle at AS, it doesn't mean you will struggle at A2, they are different approaches and there have been some large gains, e.g. people getting an E at AS and an A at A2, averaging a C overall.

To the OP, look at the specification of the exam board that you will be doing online. If you are passionate about geography, you should do well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending