Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Earn living playing poker. Myth?

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

My question is simple - Is it possible to have rather stable income from the poker game? Do you happen to know any real examples? :rolleyes:

Maybe anyone has ever earned some sum of money or heard of someone having a short time profitable investment in such a game?

Thanks in advance for sharing!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you do get professional gamblers, wouldn't exactly call it a stable income though.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do you think the people of Las Vegas do?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's just a **** load of statistics. There was a cracked.com article about it.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E15i
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    What do you think the people of Las Vegas do?
    Lose their money I guess..
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's just a whimsical system that is facilitated on randomness.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalStudent)
    Lose their money I guess..
    Yes, don't gamble.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    A small number do make their money from poker but stable? I think gambling by definition means it can't be stable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

My question is simple - Is it possible to have rather stable income from the poker game? Do you happen to know any real examples? :rolleyes:

Maybe anyone has ever earned some sum of money or heard of someone having a short time profitable investment in such a game?

A mate of mine played a lot throughout uni, nice little earner for him. Averaged about £70 a week which would cover food / drinking.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here know what 'pay by money order means'?
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.

If you play online and play thousands of hands a day, you can earn a fairly stable income.

It is just a matter of volume. If you play enough hands, all the luck evens out. But it does require a lot of volume. It is no a cushy income stream, but it is something that any smartish person can have a crack at.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    My flatmate made around £18,000 in 7/8 months playing online poker and then lost most of it in a month. I think you have to pretty into it to make some real money but the flipside is the more you get into it, the more likely you are to take risks and could end up in some trouble. Gambling is a slippery slope and can be very addictive so personally I steer clear.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
    My flatmate made around £18,000 in 7/8 months playing online poker and then lost most of it in a month. I think you have to pretty into it to make some real money but the flipside is the more you get into it, the more likely you are to take risks and could end up in some trouble. Gambling is a slippery slope and can be very addictive so personally I steer clear.

(Original post by EGjeff)
    A mate of mine played a lot throughout uni, nice little earner for him. Averaged about £70 a week which would cover food / drinking.
    The answers I was waiting for! Thanks a lot.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its possible but then again you need to have money in that to make money and theres always the chance youll loose it all, far more people loose everything through gambling than who make money from it...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I will give you an honest answer to this question.

The answer heavily depends in 2 key factors:

1. Level of skill

You have to firstly learn how to play, develop the ability to calculate odds/statistics e.g when to call on a flush draw if getting right odds, also when playing live understanding what stage you are in a hand( reading your opponent and contemplating if your ahead)

2. Bankroll mangment

You can read above posts saying there mates won x amount of money one night in poker, that was luck. To establish a career in poker you need a sufficient bankroll that correlates with the stakes your playing at. Meaning you need at least 100 buy ins, e.g if I was playing £1,£2 blinds I need at least £200 minimum to sit in that game and then all together I need £20,000 in my savings as poker can also fall in the category of luck, if your getting coolerd in a few games you can carry on playing and in time you will win providing you have a good understanding to the game( very good understanding)

These days poker is a harder game to make money on compared to 20 years ago as There are so many good players all around the world.

P.s online poker can get complicated as the skill of reading the opponent is greatly decreased and skill of the game is highly needed

I hope I helped
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

It is if you're very very good. But such people are rare, and to be honest will not be on TSR asking the question.

Of course, an element of common sense is required as well as skill. You've got to build things up gradually and bet in a sustainable way, so that a short run of bad luck or unusually skilled opponents cannot bankrupt you.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mohsanrabbani)
    I will give you an honest answer to this question.

The answer heavily depends in 2 key factors:

1. Level of skill

You have to firstly learn how to play, develop the ability to calculate odds/statistics e.g when to call on a flush draw if getting right odds, also when playing live understanding what stage you are in a hand( reading your opponent and contemplating if your ahead)

2. Bankroll mangment

You can read above posts saying there mates won x amount of money one night in poker, that was luck. To establish a career in poker you need a sufficient bankroll that correlates with the stakes your playing at. Meaning you need at least 100 buy ins, e.g if I was playing £1,£2 blinds I need at least £200 minimum to sit in that game and then all together I need £20,000 in my savings as poker can also fall in the category of luck, if your getting coolerd in a few games you can carry on playing and in time you will win providing you have a good understanding to the game( very good understanding)

These days poker is a harder game to make money on compared to 20 years ago as There are so many good players all around the world.

I hope I helped
    Just so you know op, im pretty sure this guy is the only person here (as well as classical liberal) who has any idea what they are talking about whereas the rest are just sprouting out cliches or guessing
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Poker isn't gambling. It's a game of skill. The person with the best cards doesn't automatically win, which is why we see individuals win multiple WSOP events and make tens of millions off the game.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 31, 2012
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.