Women- do you have any female role models?

Rep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Totally nothing to do with this thread but her dad is one of my favourite Politicians of all time; Nigel Lawson, Tory Chancellor 1983-1989, under Mrs. Thatcher.
    Exactly. I just don't get how she can be a role model. :lolwut: What has she done? Live comfortably and make nice food. Probably because she's overweight people find her a role model, which is I think silly.

Rep:
    (Original post by such_a_lady)
    From your flag I can see why you might think that However, I believe even in modern-day France it was a very gutsy, if reckless, action.
    Lol I would call it slightly pathetic but to each their own...

I'm also impressed with how much she's achieved in her journalistic career, and you have to admit that she makes a refreshing change from the subservient if likeable partners such as the Duchess of Cambridge, the First Lady, Mrs Cameron and so on. I'm not saying that they're 1950s housewives, only that they're not very strong presences.
    I see what you mean here although I believe Samantha Cameron has had her own career.

Rep:
    Florence Welch

Rep:
    It depends, my Mum is my role model really. I've never really looked up to celebrities nor people I haven't met. My University lecturer was another of my role models. I have people I admire but I wouldn't give them that title unless I knew them personally.

Rep:
    Zoe Smith, because she's only a year older than me and she's brilliant.
    Emma Thompson, one of my all-time favourite actresses.
    Jessica Ennis, goes without saying really.
    Rebecca Adlington, I don't even get what's wrong with her appearance! I think she's really pretty.
    As far as writers go, Toni Morrison all the way, more so than JK Rowling. I love Toni Morrison. :love:

I think a lot of Olympic athletes are great models which is what makes the Olympics so fantastic.

Rep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    I reckon most young boys would say exactly what you're saying (which I agree with). Are women self-destructive or just shallow to view these two as role models?

If Jordan and that random slut are role models for females, are women still going to be complaining that business, science, industry and politics are dominated by men in the next generation?
    If so, well, sorry, we just have higher aspirations than you do.
    Writing off a whole gender based on the opinions of a few idiot teenagers. Nice :rolleyes:

EDIT: Lots of teenage/adolescent boys have low or unrealistic life expectations as well (e.g. obsession with footballers). Girls generally outperform boys academically. I don't think it's a gender specific thing to be immature and lacking in aspiration.

Rep:
    I don't see why role models have to be the same gender as you. I wouldn't say I have any role models as such - the closest I would consider to being a role model for me is my dad.
    I don't see the point in idolising people, really. There are attributes that I admire and people - scientists mainly - whose work I admire, but I don't put them on a pedestal or try to be like them.

Rep:
    Not so much role models, as I am not modelling myself on them, but these are people I admire. Katie Piper, Queen Elizabeth I, Bif Naked, Catherine Middleton, Liv Tyler, A Thrifty Mrs, My Adopted Mum, My Biological Nan, all of the suffragettes, Anybody that is living with and coping with a life-long or chronic illness. Stephen Fry ( I don't believe that women can only have female role-models )

Rep:
    (Original post by FilmNerd1989)
    Not so much role models, as I am not modelling myself on them, but these are people I admire. Katie Piper, Queen Elizabeth I, Bif Naked, Catherine Middleton, Liv Tyler, A Thrifty Mrs, My Adopted Mum, My Biological Nan, all of the suffragettes, Anybody that is living with and coping with a life-long or chronic illness. Stephen Fry ( I don't believe that women can only have female role-models )
    Agree that Elizabeth I, the suffragettes and Stephen Fry are amazing, but what's so great about Kate?? She's boring and has never done anything great except bag a prince, so I don't understand how she could be a role model (unless you're aiming for Harry)

Rep:
    I think she's more of an inspiration to young girls than say, Jodie Marsh/Kardashian/Jordan/Any of the tramps off TOWIE/Geordie Shore etc etc. She's a "normal" girl, who always looks classy and stylish, and proves that you don't need to be a half-naked whore to look nice.

Rep:
    (Original post by (:Becca(:)
    Why does gender matter for role models? Mine are Charlie Sheen and Mario Balotelli, couldn't give a **** that neither of them have a vagina.
    Completely off-topic, so I apologise for that, but my heart skipped when I saw Ling Ling as your avatar. I've never found anyone else that knows that show.. I don't care if it's creepy; I love you slightly.

Rep:
    (Original post by FilmNerd1989)
    I think she's more of an inspiration to young girls than say, Jodie Marsh/Kardashian/Jordan/Any of the tramps off TOWIE/Geordie Shore etc etc. She's a "normal" girl, who always looks classy and stylish, and proves that you don't need to be a half-naked whore to look nice.
    exactly

Rep:
    Role models....

Well no. How would you come into your own if you don't throw out that idea? This makes me think of Anne Boleyn. Jeanne d'Arc. Alienor D'Aquitaine. Women with minds of their own in a world that had prescribed places for each of their kind.
    I would say, break the case and be your own girl.

Rep:
    Adele for her pure talent.

Gemma Collins (yes she is from TOWIE but let me explain). She is a positive role model to young women. Okay so she may not be an inspiration, but she gives young women the confidence to be themselves. She has a lot of confidence, despite being publicly bullied and abused for her weight. She is a size 16-18 ( i think?) and gives the right message to those who want to lose weight- do it naturally. She's not one of those kerry katona types who get liposuction every time they gain weight.

J.K Rowling because she is a literary genius.

And funnily enough, my Sociology teacher. She came from a working class background and worked really hard to get to Oxford University.

Rep:
    my mum. she has taught me that no matter what comes my way in life, I am strong enough to get through it

Rep:
    Mariah Carey
    Hillary Clinton
    Emmeline Pankhurst
    Mary Seacole/ Florence Nightingale
    Zana Mushen
    Amy Tan
    This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-N7000

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

: August 6, 2012

Which unis are the poshest?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.