The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Mature/Postgrad students and Sports Societies?

Hello!

In September I'll start my postgrad as a mature student (I'm 27). Been here for a year already as an international student, but due to weird working schedules I decided not to join a sports team last year.

This year however, I'm thinking of joining one (swimming, rowing or athletics (for running)) but I was just wondering whether those (or other) sports clubs are 'welcoming' older students. I'm not the 'dress up social' kind of person and will mainly be there for training. Not that I'm anti-social, but still: I've passed the undergrad-party-stage a few years ago :wink:

Anyone here who has experience with that?
Reply 1
Allclubs I know of are welcoming to mature students.
Though if you are not the dress up social type then I recommend you avoid the rowing team as they drink a lot and have some bizarre initiations (like running 5km naked iirc). They also aren't very good and have no money.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Allclubs I know of are welcoming to mature students.
Though if you are not the dress up social type then I recommend you avoid the rowing team as they drink a lot and have some bizarre initiations (like running 5km naked iirc). They also aren't very good and have no money.
Reply 3
Thanks for your reply :smile: I guess it's just trial and error, unless someone from the above mentioned teams posts here and can give me some insights. It's really hard to find sports clubs for mature students/regular people in Hull... I've found a 'Masters Swimming Club', tried one training, but it didn't really feel like a CLUB. Although I'm not the dress-up-social type I do like interaction and drinking a few beers with club mates every now and then.
Reply 4
Original post by MoBlo
Hello!

In September I'll start my postgrad as a mature student (I'm 27). Been here for a year already as an international student,

Hi I will be starting uni in sept as a mature student! Do you know whether the 'welcome social' for mature/postgraduate students on wed 26th is worth going to?!
Reply 5
Reply 6
I haven't but it's probs because I've just moved house and haven't had mail redirected yet! Who's it for? Mature, postgraduates, or everyone!?
Reply 7
Original post by Ro_Eve
I haven't but it's probs because I've just moved house and haven't had mail redirected yet! Who's it for? Mature, postgraduates, or everyone!?

Mature Students, i'm not gonna be moving in till the 22nd, but i only live around an hour away so im gonna go to it, to meet people :smile:
Reply 8
Oh cool, I think I will probs go to it too, to meet people nearer my age! :smile:
Reply 10
Welcome Lunch? I never heard anything about a welcome lunch ;(

However, I will be going to the meeting on the 26th, evening social with free drinks and stuff! It was really nice last year. But no one with more information on sports clubs?

Quick Reply

Latest