Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you have liked to see included in the Opening Ceremony?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would change the portrayal of the years preceding the rise of industry; moving away from the bucolic interpretation to one that emphasises the grim nature of life in pre-industrial rural Britain, maybe dropping in a reference to the Black Death. I would have included more than a line of Shakespeare, and perhaps references to folk heroes like King Arthur and Robin Hood, and followed the chimneys and the rendition of Jerusalem with the counter-strike delivered by the Romantic movement, maybe giving a Shelly, Coleridge or Wordsworth a voice in addition to Blake's "And did those feet...". As long as we're going for a visual history, I think motifs on naval themes wouldn't have gone amiss, showing our rich, romantically skewed interpretation of pirates and privateers. Alternatively, we could have shown the coming of the Angles, Saxons and other Germans in longboats and warships, maybe a 1066 arrow-in-the-eye.

Other worthy omissions: War of the Roses, English Civil War and the formation of Parliament, Spanish Armada, Gunpowder Plot, American Colonies, Raleigh, Drake, Dickins etc.

I would have replaced that uninspiring crap on the "Windrush", the cheap and clunky social network sketch with the dancers and the multiple butchered songs that didn't work too well, the boring NHS tribute (might as well have had some DVLA dancers) and the pity-gambit that was the God Save the Queen rendition. And probably more that I've forgotten.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would have also got rid of all the pre-recorded stuff, for the sake of the stadium audience. Those who can't, pre-record.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There is more to Britain than England you know

oh and Drake hasn't really contributed much to British culture he isn't even British and he has only had one poor album and one decent album I don't think that merits being included in a celebration of British culture.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muscovite)
    Stadium audience: 80,000
    TV audience: 2.9 billion

You do the maths
    Why have a live performance at all then? All those I know who watched it on TV got the sense that they were trying to bolster a lacking show
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Spice Girls
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shabalala)
    The title is a question open for anyone, so I'm all ears...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought they could have done the history of Britain much better and that section on the British music wasnt much better either. I think they should have included things more multicultural reflecting London & the Olympics.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starrstruck)
    The Spice Girls
    They're in the closing ceremony alongside One Direction, Jessie J and Emeli Sandé
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muscovite)
    because Olympics ceremonies have to be live performances - it's the IOC code. Literally not one person I know who watched has said that the TV performaces were trying to bolster a 'lacking performance' -you probably just didn't understand the message about the socieconomic and cultural transition of England from agrarian to industrial; and I bet most of the cultural references went over your head - which would have bored you. others enjoyed the ceremony so just because you didn't get it doesn't mean it was 'lacking' :rolleyes:
    You're right; I didn't and still don't understand how the transition from bucolic agrarian virgin-meadows was characterised by chimneys rising from Hell's pores, but, it being a show, I chose not to bring into question this aspect of the realism; until, that is, somebody states that horribly over-simplified concepts involving interpretive dance have "gone over my head". It was frightfully complicated, which is why I suggested in my original post a step away from abstruse pieces featuring Dizzee Rascal and Mr. Bean in favour of Milton's, Shelly's and Dickins' simpler charms.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
    They're in the closing ceremony alongside One Direction, Jessie J and Emeli Sandé
    Good to know
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    "This represents the nightmares of children in hospital" I seem to remember a commentator saying (or something along those lines) What? Why? To link to the children's villains showing off British literature? But isn't that kind of saying the NHS is horrible? There could've been some other way of doing that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A celebration of the Empire. It is after all Britains biggest achievement, yet it was completely ignored.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Less Dizzee Rascal and Sex Pistols. More Jimmy Page, Brian May, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Paul Weller, Sting, David Bowie, The Who, Stone Roses, Oasis, or practically anyone else.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RtGOAT)
    A celebration of the Empire. It is after all Britains biggest achievement, yet it was completely ignored.
    Might have been a bit inappropriate. Think how many nations and cultures (who are competing at the games) suffered at the hands of the oppressive Empire. It would have gone against the multicultural theme, and sunk like a German battleship being paraded in front of Israel
    • 117 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to see the animals run amok and poop everywhere...
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    A giant Harry Potter light the cauldron with his wand
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Were newton and darwin mentioned in the ceremony?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RtGOAT)
    Hardly an achievement... the empire is now considered a bad thing... and most of the countries which we mistreated are now competing at the olympics lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shabalala)

oh and Drake hasn't really contributed much to British culture he isn't even British and he has only had one poor album and one decent album I don't think that merits being included in a celebration of British culture.
    When the OP said Drake, they didn't mean the rapper, they meant Sir Francis Drake

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 31, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.