(Original post by KentaKobashi)
RHUL Economics graduate 2011 - Stayed in Tuke halls in my first year (Flat 3C, Room 8)
1) Postman Issac is a legend.
2) The SU has it's charm in 1st year, but by 3rd has worn off.
3) My personal best from London Waterloo to Egham is 41 mins, 53 secs
4) Englefield Green is great for parties so move there in 2nd year, but the neighbours are either going to be neighbourly old folk or common as muck extras from Eastenders.
5) Egham is more expensive and therefore full of posh ***** (some are alright I s'pose)
6) RHUL Rugby has a reputation for homoerotic tendencies such as running around halls naked or doing shots out of each others' asses. They think they are "lads" but pretty much everyone thinks they are making up in brashness elsewhere.
7) However, RHUL Rugby put on a SWEET boat party at the end of the year.
8) Geologists rock! (Seriously, they are the nicest department full of enthusiastic and friendly people who don't mind a drink)
9) Opposite can be said about Economics. Most of them think they are hot shot bankers and they ALWAYS try to shake your hand. (We're not at work, why do I have to shake your hand every time you say hi?!)
10) Speaking of RHUL Economics, Hui-Fai Shing, Vinay Nundllal, Sotiris Georganas, Maris Goldmanis and Jonathan Wadsworth are the best lecturers.
11) RHUL gym weights room is TINY, so if you want to use them, get there before 7:30
12) Halls of residence are amazing.
13) When you are renting a house in 2nd and 3rd year, try to avoid Aspens if you can. They never speak to their landlords and you may find at the end of the year that they charge you for damages that were already there in the first place. It's a shame really because they are the biggest estate agent in the area for students.
14) SURHUL Summer Ball is expensive and always will be. So save yourself the time complaining and just buy a ticket or not. SURHUL never change.
15) Avoid SURHUL bouncers and security like the plague. They will kick you out for just about anything.
16) Founders, when it snows, looks amazing.
17) Kingswood is further away than it looks. It's a 30 minute walk.
18) This applies to everyone really but make friends with EVERYONE on your first night. Everyone on every floor of your halls and everyone in EVERY other halls because it makes a HUGE difference.
19) Don't be alarmed if a guy dressed in a Polar Bear costume is walking around campus, he's the mascot.
20) Everyone hates the management department.
I'll try and think of more as time goes on, and then edit it.
But my RHUL experience was easily the best three years of my life. 1st year I met the most amazing people ever, who became subsequent best friends and I met the love of my life. Don't worry about job prospects or anything like that, RHUL is fantastic, no matter what TSR says. It's about what you DO with your degree more than where you went, and for every person that went to Southamption, Warwick, Nottingham and Cambridge, there is JUST as many people who are doing just as well who are RHUL graduates.
Your parents may cry when you move in and you may be nervous during your first weekend but believe me, it is a fantastic place to learn and have fun.