The Student Room Group

is too late to be an Olympian

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Not too late, but you will have missed about 10 years of training though :s-smilie:

Which is a sizeable disadvantage
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 61
Too late to be an olympian ? Maybe.

Too late to try and enjoy getting fitter and still improving, definitely not !

It's great if you manage to get into the Olympics. But one of the attributes that all athletes have is that they enjoy the sport that they take part in.

Yes you may be disappointed if you don't get into the olympics but you are still young enough to improve at what you do.

I'm gonna get back into swimming into september (I decided this way before the olympics but I'm waiting until September as my Uni has a great sports park that is fairly new.

I'm excited at improving my lengths and I doubt that I'm going to get into the olympics. But there's still masters tournaments that are for the over 25's once I get that old. Hopefully I can keep at it so I can achieve that goal. Never listen to anyone when they say you are too old. Just don't give yourself that minimum goal whilst not liking the sport that you are taking part in as well.
Yeah look at adam gemini the 100m sprinter
No but it will be very very hard.
Original post by delasandro
Thanks for being honest about it, much more useful that way :smile:

I'm guessing you know alot about Rowing etc? Any ideas where I should go to train in South Wales? Also, what specific features are important for Rowing? I've never been a sportsman (only casually with mates) but is there anything specific like weight/height you need to be to stand any chance? Also, is a big part of rowing about strength?

Sorry for lots of questions. Thanks in advance (Y)

Don't know whether this might interest you but I'm kind of in the same boat (haha) thinking about starting rowing and wondering whether I could get somewhere with it -in the South Wales area and I came across Llandaff Rowing Club, which has trained a few good quality rowers and seems a friendly, good place to start. Just a thought.
I'm kind of feeling the same thing here. I've been into running, mostly long distance but I enjoy a good sprint race now and then :smile:

I've never taken it to the competitive level though, I could have gone that way in school but I didn't and I don't know why because I really wish I had done now.
But yeah I can keep a good pace it's just about constant training and improving now I think, hopefully I'll be able to make something of it once I'm at Uni. Their Athletics club and facilities seem pretty good. The local track in my town is pretty bad quality
Original post by Summerfield93
Don't know whether this might interest you but I'm kind of in the same boat (haha) thinking about starting rowing and wondering whether I could get somewhere with it -in the South Wales area and I came across Llandaff Rowing Club, which has trained a few good quality rowers and seems a friendly, good place to start. Just a thought.

Will google it now and have a look thanks :smile:
Long jumpers can be pretty old. Theres the silly walk which i doubt very many people want to do.
I'm not saying I want or ever wanted to compete at the Olympics, but man, I never realised how old 19 can be in some universes.

When I was a lot younger some people said I had a shot at cycling if I wanted (of course, my dad likes to dramatise this, but still). I didn't think I really could, and didn't want to get too serious about it, and now I haven't properly been on a bike in two years.

Kinda wish I'd have gone for it, so at least I'd know. I think I'm going to get back into it though. I need to get fit again, and it's as good a way as any (and free). Maybe one day I'll have a crack at a velodrome just for fun.
Realistically being able to win an Olympic medal is largely a genetic lottery, and you won't know if you've won until after you already put in a lot of hours in something that's basically useless. It's not worth it if you didn't enjoy the sport all along.
Is it probably too late? Yes.

Is it definitely too late? No.

You don't have to become an Olympian to get a lifetime love for a sport though. :smile:
Reply 71
Also to add to my earlier points.

Ask any olympian who doesn't get a medal after they retired if they enjoyed their sport and they will say they did.

Ask anyone who almost got into the olympics if they enjoyed their sport they will say yes.

It's about not regretting your effort, not how far you get.
Reply 72
The Olympics comes around every 4 years do its never too late to be an Olympian!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest