The Student Room Group

Paramedic practice the next 12months

Hi everyone,
I will be joinin you in this big game of anxiety and dissapointment as i too have decided to become a paramedic.
Just wanted to share my work experiance in the hope you could give me a little feedback.
I dicked around in school far too much and got kicked out before i even tryed my GCSE's since then i have grown up and managed to complete an NVQL3 in motor mechanics (it was sort of a road i was forced down and thankful for at the time.

That was 6 years ago and this christmas i weighed up what i wanted in life and concluded on becoming a paramedic, since that point i have done my first aid at work/medical gases/AED/spinal immobilisation and various forms of airway management. This has landed me with a voluntary job as an event first aider, i have worked for sporting events festivals and i even helped cover the olympic torch, on top of this i have become a rescue medic (glorified first aider) with the hovercraft search and rescue and i am applying to become a community first responder.
Im hoping with 12months of this behind my belt it should put me in a good position, the event companys i work for are run by an ex army field medic and a paramedic both willing to give me a referance.
As well as this i am doing an online course in anatomy & physiology and in september i will be attending an access to nursing course. This will include key skills in english and maths.
I can only apply for LJMA and edge hill because i am commited to were i live
Im so desperate to get in and any advice or criticism would be welcome.
Thanks , dan
PS; good luck to all those applying this year and all those who are going to uni this year.
First of all good luck with your application and access course.

I would say all your first aid experience is great but whatever you do don't fully concentrate on that in your application. When you apply its more about what qualities etc. you can show and showing you have life experience. May I suggest looking at the nursing/medicine sections in the personal statement section (tabs at top of the page).

Quick Reply

Latest