The Student Room Group

Which of these books is best for FP1-3?

I'm planning to start self studying further maths this year. My board is CCEA but there is no specific textbook for it so I have looked at textbooks from other boards and got the following list

1. Edexcel (2008/2009)

2. OCR (2004/2005)

3. Edexcel (2008-2010)

4. Further Pure Mathematics (2001)

Which of the above books is best in terms of good explanations and a range of exercise questions along with answers and which has fewest mistakes. Could anyone recommend any of the above?
It depends what you mean by self study. Will you have access to a teacher/Someone who could help you when you get stuck?

I'm on Edexcel, due to start FP next school year. I'm doing some of it now and I'm having trouble understanding alot of it on my own. Lucky my dad is a professor so he helps me with most of it :biggrin:. I don't know how the books are for OCR/AQA but I can't imagine they'll be miles better than Edexcel, I would say make sure you have some sort of guidance for any exam board.
Reply 3

Yes I have those downloads but I never realised they are a continuation of the printed copy. Do you think the book and the downloads would be sufficient for FP1, FP2 and FP3, there is no FP4 for CCEA.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Anythingoo1
It depends what you mean by self study. Will you have access to a teacher/Someone who could help you when you get stuck?

I'm on Edexcel, due to start FP next school year. I'm doing some of it now and I'm having trouble understanding alot of it on my own. Lucky my dad is a professor so he helps me with most of it :biggrin:. I don't know how the books are for OCR/AQA but I can't imagine they'll be miles better than Edexcel, I would say make sure you have some sort of guidance for any exam board.

I will have teacher help but it may be limited as they will be teaching the core modules which I'm covering over summer. I don't have trouble studying C3 and C4 without the help of my teacher. All I'm really after is book that gives a good explanation and insight to certain topics. Doesn't have to be too fancy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Ateo
Yes I have those downloads but I never realised they are a continuation of the printed copy. Do you think the book and the downloads would be sufficient for FP1, FP2 and FP3, there is no for CCEA.

You may need to cross check the specs but I would recommend the books for the quality of heir explanations and practice material
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
You may need to cross check the specs but I would recommend the books for the quality of heir explanations and practice material

Looking at one example, the specification lists eigenvalues and eigenvectors of 3x3 matrices which I have no idea about but the only book that seems to list it in the contents is the 2001 further pure mathematics book. Do the Edexcel books have this?
Reply 7
Original post by Ateo
Do the Edexcel books have this?

No idea
Reply 8
Original post by Ateo
Looking at one example, the specification lists eigenvalues and eigenvectors of 3x3 matrices which I have no idea about but the only book that seems to list it in the contents is the 2001 further pure mathematics book. Do the Edexcel books have this?

I *think* (I can't remember because I don't have the book :colondollar:) that the Edexcel FP3 book has these - they would be under the contents heading of "Matrix Transformations" or "Transformations using 3x3 Matrices".

That said, the 2001 book is very good, although I don't do CCEA. I just use it for extra practice of Edexcel topics. I like how it explain where things come from - the Edexcel books just tend to state the method / formula in bold, but don't always bother to show where it was derived from.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Silent--ly
I *think* (I can't remember because I don't have the book :colondollar:) that the Edexcel FP3 book has these - they would be under the contents heading of "Matrix Transformations" or "Transformations using 3x3 Matrices".

That said, the 2001 book is very good, although I don't do CCEA. I just use it for extra practice of Edexcel topics. I like how it explain where things come from - the Edexcel books just tend to state the method / formula in bold, but don't always bother to show where it was derived from.

I think that the 2001 book is the one I'm going to go for. Does it cover all the topics that are in the Edexcel book and will it be enough to cover all the FP modules?
Reply 10
Original post by Ateo

The edexcel FP3 book includes eigenvalues and eigenvectors of 3x3 matrices.
Reply 11
Original post by Ateo
I think that the 2001 book is the one I'm going to go for. Does it cover all the topics that are in the Edexcel book and will it be enough to cover all the FP modules?

I don't know enough about the CCEA to know how well it will cover their course. It covers the same stuff, but the questions in the Edexcel book are written in the same style as their exam papers, and emphasises the key points that are always tested in their exams - the 2001 book doesn't do this. However, if you're doing CCEA anyway the style/key points might not necessarily be the same as Edexcel would have used anyway, so this might not matter.
Reply 12
Original post by Silent--ly
I don't know enough about

CCEA is quite different from Edexcel. Could you just tell me one last thing, the 2001 book, do the questions vary a lot in terms of complexity, for example do they get more complex towards the end of the exercise and is there any 'hard' questions included at the end of the exercises? I think I will use that book along with what TenOfThem recommended.
Reply 13
I'm on CCEA, and I'll be honest - FP1 is unbelievably easy. I know 2 and 3 get a lot harder though, haven't got to them yet.

I would suggest just learning the content etc first and not worry about how different the style of the boards are. Learn the content, practice some questions, then look at some exam questions from CCEA for a feel of their style. I think that would be your best bet..
The Gaultier book is pretty good. My OCR FP book only arrived the other day, not really worked through it.

As an aside, the Gaultier book has far more practice questions.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 15
Original post by Snakefingers13
The Gaultier book is pretty good. My OCR FP book only arrived the other day, not really worked through it.

As an aside, the Gaultier book has far more practice questions.

The Gaulter book it is then. Thanks :smile:
You just need to read the spec for each module carefully, as the chapters in the Gaultier book are not divided by module. Make sure you know which ones belong to FP1/2/3 etc.

Reply 17
Original post by Snakefingers13
You just need to read the spec for each module carefully, as the chapters in the Gaultier book are not divided by module. Make sure you know which ones belong to FP1/2/3 etc.

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind.
Reply 18
From my experience of self-teaching:
The Edexcel (2008/2009) books are good
Further Pure Mathematics is a good book
Those OCR books though... :afraid:
Reply 19
Original post by TenOfThem

This Gaulter book that I bought really doesn't give a good first impression. 2 typos on first 2 pages;

typo1.jpg
typo2.jpg

The equation shown has real roots which can lead to confusion. The preface is rather contradictory as the authors said the book is also aimed at those self-studing. Not doing a good job of it. Is this what is meant for z: 'x+yi represents a complex number denoted by z'?

Quick Reply

Latest