The Student Room Group

The Olympics Opening Ceremony was total rubbish. Anybody else agree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DrunkenMaster
The NHS/great ormand street peice was cringy. The music, stage school brats jumping on beds. Nice to know doctors and nurses had time to rehearse the dancing. I'll remember that next time theyre on strike.

I just spat some Pepsi on my keyboard.
Alot of stuff in the opening ceremony don't have to be related to the olympics, just look at beijing in 2008 when they put alot of emphasis on showing the cultural/historical side of China. Overall I would give our ceremony a solid 7/10, better than athens for example but some way off china which IMO is a 9/10 compared to all the other ceremonies.
cheer up luv, it might never happen.
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
You do know that the opening ceremony is supposed to showcase the host country?: 'The host nation then presents artistic displays of music, singing, dance, and theater representative of its culture, history, and the current Olympic game motto' :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games_ceremony

The Chinese did a great presentation of their culture. Britain didn't. It totally spoiled it up.
Original post by The Marshall
The Chinese did a great presentation of their culture. Britain didn't. It totally spoiled it up.

I didn't say it was the best, although I really enjoyed it and thought it was fantastic.

If you read the posts fully, you would see that I was actually correcting another poster who said that the opening ceremony should be about all the countries, rather than showcasing the host country, which obviously is wrong.
Reply 45
It doesnt matter what we thought of it to be honest. Like ther other guy said, its an international event not national. Im Italian and I was in Italy when the ceremony was on TV and I can tell you that the commentators deffinately enjoyed it, they were joking and laughing and saying how much it represents Britains culture and history which is what it is meant to do!! If British people dont like it, that doesnt matter. It is hard to impress everyone these days, so much negativity about team GB its unbelieveable. I honestly thought it was pretty good, the only bit I didnt really like was the bit with Dizzie Rascal :angry: I dont mind him but not many people around the world actually like music like that, just saying.
Original post by Parente
It doesnt matter what we thought of it to be honest. Like ther other guy said, its an international event not national. Im Italian and I was in Italy when the ceremony was on TV and I can tell you that the commentators deffinately enjoyed it, they were joking and laughing and saying how much it represents Britains culture and history which is what it is meant to do!! If British people dont like it, that doesnt matter. It is hard to impress everyone these days, so much negativity about team GB its unbelieveable. I honestly thought it was pretty good, the only bit I didnt really like was the bit with Dizzie Rascal :angry: I dont mind him but not many people around the world actually like music like that, just saying.

Its because Team GB doesn't respect its opponents.
Original post by kimsiclez
There was an intruder in the Indian team. Some lady dressed in bright red and turquoise was walking right next to the flag bearer - nobody knew who she was. They didn't want the focus to be on this woman so they didn't show the Indian team for very long. Bit of a shame that she managed to get through all that security, really. I think she was a volunteer or something.

Yeah? She's old news!
I didn't say it was the best, although I really enjoyed it and thought it was fantastic.

If you read the posts fully, you would see that I was actually correcting another poster who said that the opening ceremony should be about all the countries, rather than showcasing the host country, which obviously is wrong.

Special effects were amazing. Rowan Antkinson was great, but the rest was rubbish. Live with it.
Original post by HugoDuchovny
exactly! my friend.

Thats my point~!
Special effects were amazing. Rowan Antkinson was great, but the rest was rubbish. Live with it.

In your opinion. :smile:
Thats my point~!

It is a stupid point - because the whole point of the opening ceremony is to showcase British culture - nothing to do with being about all the different countries.

Whether you enjoyed the British culture is your own opinion, but to say that it was wrong to just be about Britain is sheer ignorance.
It is a stupid point - because the whole point of the opening ceremony is to showcase British culture - nothing to do with being about all the different countries.

Whether you enjoyed the British culture is your own opinion, but to say that it was wrong to just be about Britain is sheer ignorance.

It had everything to do with Britain! Where the heck was anything worldly represented in it? Its an international event, not a national event. And certainly not British! The point you make is utter crap and you know it lady!
It had everything to do with Britain! Where the heck was anything worldly represented in it? Its an international event, not a national event. And certainly not British!

That is what I just said, can't you read?

You implied that because it is an international event not an national event, that it shouldn't just display British culture.

Edit: No need to use that tone, or be so rude. The opening ceremony is supposed to be about the hosting country, so in this case it was about Britain, clear enough for you?
(edited 11 years ago)
That is what I just said, can't you read?

You implied that because it is an international event not an national event, that it shouldn't just display British culture.

Edit: No need to use that tone, or be so rude. The opening ceremony is supposed to be about the hosting country, so in this case it was about Britain, clear enough for you?

Can you not read? In fact, could you understand?

I have implied that while it is certainly a International event, It should not be that national. A real ceremony would have had a mix of national and international. But in this ceremony, it seemed like some opening '' Bollywood'' dance or something. And it clearly tried to show that England owned the Olympics, when they don't. I will use the tone I like, thank you very much.

Rubbish, making utterly useless points in front of me with no direct sense.
Can you not read? In fact, could you understand?

I have implied that while it is certainly a International event, It should not be that national. A real ceremony would have had a mix of national and international. But in this ceremony, it seemed like some opening '' Bollywood'' dance or something. And it clearly tried to show that England owned the Olympics, when they don't. I will use the tone I like, thank you very much.

Rubbish, making utterly useless points in front of me with no direct sense.

Yes I can read.

Yeah it is an international event, but just because you think that doesn't make it correct. If you read the link I have previously provided you would realise that the opening ceremony all about the host country, it always has been.

My points make sense my friend, just because you don't agree with Olympic protocol doesn't mean that Britain was wrong in following it.

Here is the link incase you cannot find it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games_ceremony

I seriously hope you are troll - no one can be so ignorant.
Reply 56
Nope.

But that's the beauty of something subjective. I think it was great. I'm neither right nor wrong. You, or the person from whom you copied the blog, thinks it was crap. They are neither right nor wrong either.
Reply 57
I thought it was a bit of an anti climax after all the hype on the TV in the weeks building up to it. However I heard on the news that the TV coverage didn't give the ceremony any justice as there was so much happening at one time and the cameras couldn' focus on it all. Without the TV commentary I would have had no idea what was going on though, it was pretty hard to follow so I don't know how the crowd (especially the foreign crowd members) followed it or even understood what was going on in some parts.
Reply 58
I completely agree! Barely any of the 250 (approx) countries competing would have a clue what was going on. They messed up the queen's parachute thing as the ore recorded video was set in day light. Roman atkinson's part was the best thing but even that was a disappointment, he's done way better things in the past! Dizzie rascal is crap and that social network thing was awful! The very start was just chaos! Halfway through I actually said this is the worst thing I have ever seen. Bad opening ceremony, hopefully the rest of the olympics will make up for it
Yes I can read.

Yeah it is an international event, but just because you think that doesn't make it correct. If you read the link I have previously provided you would realise that the opening ceremony all about the host country, it always has been.

My points make sense my friend, just because you don't agree with Olympic protocol doesn't mean that Britain was wrong in following it.

Here is the link incase you cannot find it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games_ceremony

I seriously hope you are troll - no one can be so ignorant.

Do not call me friend you fool. You are the damn idiot that refuses to accept it.
Oh well, since you refuse, I cannot change your cliched and stupid views.

Olympics opening ceremony was 'multi-cultural crap', Tory MP tweets.

And there it was!

Quick Reply

Latest