The Student Room Group

How hard isit to get into competitive swimming?

I've always enjoyed swimming and learnt early by watching someone when I was about 4/5
I did lessons for about a year when I was 7/8 then I did more lessons in school. I know all the basic swimming moves. I still remember them all very well even though I've not trained . I've always enjoyed them but after they stopped I didn't continue because I also had a slight deep water fear even though I was able to swim well . Since then I've combatted that fear a lot and I feel a lot confident with swimming and not afraid of the deepwater. I've swam in a lake in france and really enjoyed it even though it was deep at the other end. And raced my unckle swimming and he said I was a great and strong swimmer and I won him at a race.
I've started swimming again on my own in the gym and I swim quite a few length 10/20. In half an hour depending on my goal on the day.
Watching the olympics has got me inspired I'd love to swim for fun and maybe try it competitively not for any major tournaments as it's probably far too late for that now .
I'm 19 would I be too old as most swimmers would have competed their whole life?.
Even my mum said to me yesterday you could've been a great swimmer and then my uncles , aunties always say I'm a strong and very good swimmer. I don't usually get what they mean as everyone can swim. What does it mean to be a strong swimmer?

What would it be like joining? I read one of the clubs and they say you start off in lane one and progress up and then into the middle lanes. Is this how most swimming clubs are? How hard is the first days? I'm worried I'll look slow compared to everyone else. I would really love to try it out as I didn't continue swimming before when I probably should've.
Joining a swimming club is probably your best bet, the one I joined (no longer in it) did have a gradual progression through the lanes, I started in the second lane though because I'd been swimming for a long time.
Once they've gauged how good you are there may be opportunities for you to attempt some galas etc :smile:
Is the first days the hardest amongest everyone else?
I'm not too old at 19 to start it up would I?
Tbh I didn't find the transition that hard because I was still having swimming lessons at the time, I guess it would be harder for you because you haven't done it in a while.
A lot of swimmers do start young but I personally don't think 19 is too old :wink:
Reply 4
The Olympics has got everyone thinking what sports they could do!!

Join a club and progress up through galas and other competitions. You won't suddenly get to a national level, you'll have to win and succeed in quite a few small scale competitions before you'll be considered, but it is a fairly natural progression as you graduate through different levels. Your coaches would never put you against people they didn't feel you could match

Strong swimmers are swimmers who take to it quite naturally and look like they know what they're doing, if you've got a natural aptitude like your family have said you shouldn't find it too hard to progress through lanes in swimming clubs.
I'd probably be too late to be an olympic swimmer at this stage. I'd love to be the best that I can be and see how it goes.
I'm not sure I'm the best with the speed the technique I guess is pretty good it's the speed I need to work on.
I'd love to try it out although I'd be slightly nervous. I've swam 20 lengths the first few times I went back to swimming in a 25m pool in 30mins not sure if thats good or bad.
Would the training hours be long?
It also be quite fun and I don't really have any extra curricular activities that I do, apart from just going to the gym.
Are there tryouts on the first they where they watch you swim up and down to see your level?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Mysteriouschic
I'd probably be too late to be an olympic swimmer at this stage. I'd love to be the best that I can be and see how it goes.
I'm not sure I'm the best with the speed the technique I guess is pretty good it's the speed I need to work on.
I'd love to try it out although I'd be slightly nervous. I've swam 20 lengths the first few times I went back to swimming in a 25m pool in 30mins not sure if thats good or bad.
Would the training hours be long?
It also be quite fun and I don't really have any extra curricular activities that I do, apart from just going to the gym.
Are there tryouts on the first they where they watch you swim up and down to see your level?

The training hours would be whatever you wanted! And I guess there would be soe observation at first where the coaches try and workout your level, but a good and friendly swimming club won't hold formal 'tryouts' and will probably just observe you for the first session.
Yeah I think I'll try it out. It's worth a shot and it's what I enjoy and I'm more ready to take on challenges or even be in the deep water.

Do you reckon should get back to swimming for a few weeks or now until I join to get me prepared? and practise doing lengths.
Original post by Mysteriouschic
Do you reckon should get back to swimming for a few weeks or now until I join to get me prepared? and practise doing lengths.

Definitely, it's all about stamina :smile:
Do most people wear the one piece or two piece for the swimming?
I notice on the tv they all wear the long one piece suits.
I used to wear a one piece, I just found it more comfortable but I suppose it's good for streamlining
Just wondering whats the difference between masters galas and regular galas?
I really regret giving up swimming training. It'll always be one of those "what if"s. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest