The Student Room Group

Dissertation year next year-How to begin?

As topic says I am entering my third and final year of university next year...and this obviously means dissertation galore :P.
Now...in order to be one step ahead of the majority of people I am hoping to actually begin my dissertation (obviously the bit's that can be done such as research on the topc and method) and get a large chunk of it drafted up before university even starts (therefore allowing me time to go out in third year and have fun while still maintaining good grades).
However first step in this is to actually think of an idea for my dissertation...now i don't want people to give me ideas, i want to think of the idea myself for a study. However has anyone got any good starting points/tips of where i should look (such as websites etc) in order to help me think of an idea for my project...I mean previous research would always be useful, however there are millions of journals online and obviously looking through every one would be pretty impractical...so any tips guys? :smile:
Reply 1
How much you can do already will depend on how your department runs things. For me, I could only apply for a supervisor once term had started and then I worked closely with my supervisor to come up with a suitable idea. I know other departments give their students free rein to come up with anything they like, in which case it would definitely be worth at least keeping an eye out for some interesting research ideas. The BPS research digest is a good source of inspiration.
Reply 2
To be honest, as boring as it may be, you may be better off asking your supervisor or other lecturers about ideas they have as those projects are more likely to work and mean you have some support from people that know what they're talking about!

Quick Reply

Latest