Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cross-Party Prison Reform Committee

Announcements Posted on
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Patriotism is unsuprising at the moment, we are watching the biggest ejaculation of nationalism seen since WW2.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Patriotism is unsuprising at the moment, we are watching the biggest ejaculation of nationalism seen since WW2.
    What? he isn't patriotic if he only supports the UK during a sporting event. He has to support the country, military and all sporting events 24/7... not just for two weeks every four years
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    This might be some help around which you can base your own Bill. It wasn't voted upon, but, as the author, you have my permission in advance should you wish to use it in any way, shape or form.

B350 - Prison Work Scheme Bill, TSR UKIP

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Prison Work Scheme

(1) Upon Royal Assent, all prisons in the United Kingdom shall be required to provide a "Prison Work Scheme"
    (2) Companies shall be allowed to bid for the opportunity to employ prisoners as a temporary workforce as described in section 3 of this Act.

2. Responsibilities of the Prisoner

(1) All prisoners shall be required to undertake 8 hours of work a day for at least 5 days a week unless they are specifically exempt from this scheme.
    (2) Prisoners shall be paid the minimum wage and the wage shall increase as the minimum wage increases.
    (3) Any prisoner who does not take part in the scheme shall not receive any privileges which they would normally receive.
    (4) For the purposes of this Act:-
    'privileges' refers to any and all items that are distributed by prison staff to offenders such as Playstations and televisions
    (5) Prisoners shall be required to work at least 230 days a year.
    (6) Prisoners shall receive 1 weeks holiday for both Christmas and Easter.
    (7) All prisoners shall not work during religious festivals.
    (8) Prisoners shall not work weekends, but they may choose to work at this time if they wish to do so.
    (9) The working day shall be from 9am - 5pm
    (10) All work shall be completed within the confines of the prison.

3. Responsibilities of the Company

(1) All companies shall be required to enter a bidding process in order to secure contracts.
    (2) All bids shall be considered by the governor of each prison on the following criteria:
    (i) Economic viability
    (ii) The skills which it will provide prisoners with
    (3) Companies who are successful shall be required to provide all the materials to complete any and all contracts and shall contribute to the scheme as shown in section 4 of this Act.

4. Funding of the Scheme

(1) The Government shall allocate £500 million worth of funding for this scheme.
    (2) The Government shall provide from this fund £2 per hour per prisoner to participate in this scheme.
    (3) All successful companies shall pay each prisoner £2.93 per hour per prisoner.
    (4) All successful companies shall pay for all supplies used to fulfil the contract.
    (5) The Government shall receive 1/3 of the profits from the contracts which are fulfilled in prisons.
    (6) Both the Government and successful companies will not have to pay national insurance, income tax or pension contributions.

5. Compensation of Victims and Allocation of Income

(1) £3 from the £5.93 per hour earned by prisoners shall be used to compensate the victims of the offender's crime.
    (2) The remaining £2.93 shall be used as follows:
    (i) £1 shall be used to cover the costs of imprisoning each offender
    (ii) £1.93 shall be paid into a bank account to be accessed by the offender upon their release

6. Exemptions

(1) All prisoners held in Psychiatric Hospitals are exempt from the scheme
    (2) All prisoners under the age of 16 are exempt from the scheme and instead shall receive employment education based around the skills necessary for employment
    (3) All prisoners who are engaging in some form of education scheme in prison shall be exempt from this scheme.

7. Commencement, short title and extent:

(1) This Act may be cited as the Prison Work Scheme Act 2011
    (2) This Act shall extend to the whole of the United Kingdom
    (3) This Act shall come into force immediately following Royal Assent.

Explanatory Notes

Funding is allocated by the Central Government on the basis that the maximum prisoner population is currently at 88000 people. Given that the government is paying £2 an hour, multiplying that by 8 and again by 230 means that £325 million will be spent by the Government. The Government will easily recoup this money. This is achieved by two means. The first is by the £1.00 per hour rebate for the government from the prisoner's wages. This will provide £161 million for the Government. The remaining money will come from profitable contracts. It is likely that money from the banking levy will be needed to supplement this, but the scheme is, largely, economically self-sufficient. It is possible that, combined with the 1/3 share in profits from each contract and other taxes on profits, this scheme could become fully self-sufficient and may even provide a provide a profit for the Government. Below are the exact figures for this scheme:

Outlay:

Wages: £323840000

Return:

Return from Wages: £161920000

Shortfall: £161920000 ( This will be made up from profit taxation and the share of profit per contract and bank levy)

Employment Concerns:

It is likely that this will not affect employment of non-prisoners. This is due to the fact that the majority of jobs outside prisons can not be done in prison. Reducing the contribution to the minimum wage to just £3.93 means that we can become more economically competitive and the removal of taxations makes this project quite attractive to companies which might have otherwise outsourced jobs from the UK. This is likely to have little or no effect on employment levels whatsoever.

This Bill also allows the Government to put prisoners in that '9 to 5' routine which is crucial to the economy. Teaching prisoners skills will improve their employability upon release which will help the economic recovery.

Bills:

While I am aware that the 'minimum wage' does not exist, for the purposes of this Bill, this is the wage level which I will be working from to establish a level at which to set wages. It will allow prisoners to work for something realistic rather than a smaller figure plucked from the air.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1549950
    That looks great. However, I would set a new NMW level.
    1. People should not be made to work, whether well or badly behaved
    2. As I said oly the best behaved should be given the option of work and earning their own money
    2. Dont like the compensation for the victims
    3. Dont like all the government intervention

Some good stuff there though
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    What? he isn't patriotic if he only supports the UK during a sporting event. He has to support the country, military and all sporting events 24/7... not just for two weeks every four years
    Sounds a lot like Murray fans in Tennis who think Wimbledon and the FO are just two random turnaments, when i told somebody the season stretched from Jan to Nov with events ever week they were pretty shocked.

With that said i am not really patriotic myself, i rarely support the English (or Scottish).
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacDaddi)
    That looks great. However, I would set a new NMW level.
    1. People should not be made to work, whether well or badly behaved
    2. As I said oly the best behaved should be given the option of work and earning their own money
    2. Dont like the compensation for the victims
    3. Dont like all the government intervention

Some good stuff there though
    As I say, feel free to use any of it. I'm more than happy for you to do so.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can't descirbe it in words:

:france::whip:
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, three things: the Franco-Prussian War, WWI and WWII. :mmm:

Now we wait for the 'oh but that wasn't France's fault' excuses... :teehee:
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzini)

• 21 followers

ReputationRep:

Didn't lose WWI nor WWII so I don't see what you are getting at.

But I am proud of my country regardless of the bad things in her past.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:

What are your views about the ban on foie gras?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:

You only won because of the rest of the Allies. Oh wait; we only invaded to conquer you, didn't we? :teehee:

Another thing is that I really don't understand why you Frenchies celebrate Bastille Day. You've had so many counter- and counter-counter-revolutions since then that it devalues it almost as much as you (and your hookers) devalue sex and relationships.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    You only won because of the rest of the Allies. Oh wait; we only invaded to conquer you, didn't we? :teehee:

Another thing is that I really don't understand why you Frenchies celebrate Bastille Day. You've had so many counter- and counter-counter-revolutions since then that it devalues it almost as much as you (and your hookers) devalue sex and relationships.
    What are you trying to achieve exactly? all I see is you trying your hardest to insult me only failing and I also see a boy that is bitter because he sees another persons lifestyle and is jealous... exactly the response I wanted from you, jealousy, I bet if you were I, you would not be complaining so much.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    What are you trying to achieve exactly? all I see is you trying your hardest to insult me only failing and I also see a boy that is bitter because he sees another persons lifestyle and is jealous... exactly the response I wanted from you, jealousy, I bet if you were I, you would not be complaining so much.
    I'm seeking to amuse myself because you are fun to bait.

I am not jealous of your lifestyle, merci bien, monsieur. I am most happy with my own lot in this world.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    Send them to the mines of Rura Penthe.
    • 79 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Now you're speaking my lingo paddy.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 79 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Now you're speaking my lingo paddy.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Going back to prison reform... I do believe that military service will help overall.

Obviously there would be a consensus for allowing the well behaved inmates to work, give them more flexibility on how the decorate their cells but all this stuff is already done in the lower down prisons and really it doesn't appear to make a difference... most likely because these are criminals that didn't commit terrible crimes such as murder in the first place so are more likely to better behaved.

But yes, I think that military service would be best for those that are serving longer sentences, no matter how serve their crime was.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy to help. Our prisons currently fail both prisoners and victims of crime. Recidivism rates are increasing as well as prisoners leaving jail with the addictions that caused them to commit crime.

The old model of punishment based justice is outdated and doesn't work.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 7, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.