The Student Room Group

College of Law or BPP for GDL

Hi,

I think other people may have made threads asking a similar question but I couldn't quite track them down...I have a place on the GDL at each of these providers and will be attending one of them in London...However I have really mixed feelings about which one to go to.

Can anyone give their opinions as to how they have found one or the other, or their reasons for going with one over the other?

I have heard that the exams for CoL are quite intense in terms of timetabling and that they have an open book exam (though I don't know if I see the latter as a bonus or not!). I have also heard that the course at BPP is particularly spoon fed, but after three years of independence studying a history degree, I think I'm happy to return to some spoon feeding!

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I went to the College of Law purely because it had a centre in the city I wanted to stay in.
I thought the teaching etc at CoL was pretty good (although very spoon fed), though I was disappointed with the career service, although this was probably more to do with applying for London firms while being based outside of London. The exams were tightly scheduled, but in many ways it was a relief just to get them over and done once they had started - they are also not open book, that is only the LPC. I was also told that the exams at BPP were easier, but I have no idea how true that is.
Reply 2
Original post by Ems8345
Well I went to the College of Law purely because it had a centre in the city I wanted to stay in.
I thought the teaching etc at CoL was pretty good (although very spoon fed), though I was disappointed with the career service, although this was probably more to do with applying for London firms while being based outside of London. The exams were tightly scheduled, but in many ways it was a relief just to get them over and done once they had started - they are also not open book, that is only the LPC. I was also told that the exams at BPP were easier, but I have no idea how true that is.

Thanks! That's really interesting.

Does anyone have any opinions of BPP from experience?
It depends on what you want from it.

I think CoL is the best option if you want to become a solicitor in the City whereas BPP is the best option if you want to become a Barrister.

The CoL has the more links to the big firms e.g. Allen and Ovary, Clifford Chance, Baker Mckenzie, Ashurst etc., but BPP still has Herbert Smith and Simmons & Simmons. Although I don't think these links really make any difference to career options, I think they do show the industry's perception of the institutions (either that or the CoL is just older/better at hustling contracts).

CoL is only open book in the LPC and yes, as you point out, this is as much a blessing as a curse. The GDL is closed book at both institutions.

CoL is more thorough (as evidenced by the fact that the SRA consider the combination of GDL + LPC worthy of an LL.B if they are both undertaken at CoL but not BPP) but, again, that's a pro as much as it's a con - especially after a history degree ;-)
Reply 4
Original post by richardfburton
It depends on what you want from it.

I think CoL is the best option if you want to become a solicitor in the City whereas BPP is the best option if you want to become a Barrister.

The CoL has the more links to the big firms e.g. Allen and Ovary, Clifford Chance, Baker Mckenzie, Ashurst etc., but BPP still has Herbert Smith and Simmons & Simmons. Although I don't think these links really make any difference to career options, I think they do show the industry's perception of the institutions (either that or the CoL is just older/better at hustling contracts).

CoL is only open book in the LPC and yes, as you point out, this is as much a blessing as a curse. The GDL is closed book at both institutions.

CoL is more thorough (as evidenced by the fact that the SRA consider the combination of GDL + LPC worthy of an LL.B if they are both undertaken at CoL but not BPP) but, again, that's a pro as much as it's a con - especially after a history degree ;-)

With respect, most of this is difficult to substantiate. The "links to the big firms" mean very little. Some firms send their trainees to one or the other. That doesn't mean doing the GDL at one or the other provides *any* advantage at all in seeking a TC or pupillage. BPP has ties with, inter alia, Slaughter and May, Freshfields, Hogan Lovells, Herbert Smith, Norton Rose, Jones Day. This does not mean Slaughter and May wouldn't take a GDL student from CoL, or that Allen & Overy wouldn't take a GDL student from BPP. It simply doesn't matter.

Finally, the conferral of an LLB really doesn't matter unless you're seeking *non-law* employment. Any lawyer will know that the GDL and LPC combination isn't a full-length law degree.
Reply 5
It does matter if you want to take the New York bar - you need an LLB for that. That's why I chose College of Law, anyway!
Original post by jjarvis
With respect, most of this is difficult to substantiate. The "links to the big firms" mean very little. Some firms send their trainees to one or the other. That doesn't mean doing the GDL at one or the other provides *any* advantage at all in seeking a TC or pupillage. BPP has ties with, inter alia, Slaughter and May, Freshfields, Hogan Lovells, Herbert Smith, Norton Rose, Jones Day. This does not mean Slaughter and May wouldn't take a GDL student from CoL, or that Allen & Overy wouldn't take a GDL student from BPP. It simply doesn't matter.

Finally, the conferral of an LLB really doesn't matter unless you're seeking *non-law* employment. Any lawyer will know that the GDL and LPC combination isn't a full-length law degree.

Yes you're in that it makes very little difference to your career. As you point out (and like I say), the links with the big firms don't make it easier to get a TC, but it does show the industry perception/age/hustling ability of the institutions. Yes BPP clearly has some big links but the 3 of the 4 biggest UK firms (linklaters, cc and A+O) are all with CoL.

The reference to an LL.B was simply to evidence thoroughness, not utility. Although it's true that an LL.B matters if you want to work abroad, in continental Europe as well as well the U.S
Reply 7
*grabs popcorn and 3d glasses*
Reply 8
I went to BPP Holborn and I actually have a TC with a firm that sends their trainees to COL so it doesn't matter where you go - if you're good firms will take you. What matters is probably whether you do well on the course.

Closed book may seem daunting when you have so much material on the LPC but actually I never did well in open-book exams because you don't have that drive to actually commit anything to memory. So, closed book worked better for me and you definitely get better results than you think. The teaching was good at BPP and the resources were pretty good as well.

The careers service wasn't that great - the woman couldn't really tell me anything that I could change about my applications of CV. Apparently City or Kaplan has a really good careers service! But what they do have is something on Blackboard which are forms that people have filled out after interviews at different firms. It means that you can have a look at what questions were asked, how the interview went etc. etc. from a wide range of firms. I definitely found it useful but obviously if you're interviewing at a smaller firm, there may not be as many previous experiences to read through.

So yes, BPP Holborn was good. :smile:
Reply 9
Yeah, friends have told me CoL's career service isn't that hot either. I never had to use it, thank goodness.
Hi stefwad75,

Saw your query - let us know if we can help with any queries on The College of Law :smile:

If you're at a loose end over the summer, you might be interested to take a look at the law careers advice on our Future Lawyers Network - it's free to join and takes you step-by-step through planning your legal career, job applications and beyond: http://www.college-of-law.co.uk/employability/

Hope it helps!
I'm in the middle of choosing where to get my LPC.

It's between College of Law and one that I haven't met anybody that been to it - NCLT (National College of Legal Training).

Much cheaper fees, however does anybody know if they're any good?

If the CoL fees were lower I'd definitely go with them as the saving I am making when considering the commute is around £2,500
Reply 12
Has anyone been or does anyone know someone who has been here to the NCLT!!??

There is absolutely NO information about this online
Reply 13
O I am in the same boat as you. I am really stuck as to choose BPP or COL. I suppose the main difference is the examinations but I am stuck as well!
Hi,

Here at NCLT we deliver the excellent University of the West of Englands GDL, which is highly recognised, at study centres across the UK making it more accessible to students.

We are currently halfway through our first part time cohort studying the University of the West of England's Course via NCLT in London and have received excellent feedback from current students.

Please feel free to give us a call and have a chat about the course and NCLT. 0121 362 7529

Best wishes,
NCLT Support
Reply 15
I honestly don't think it makes a big difference whether you go for CoL or BPP. Obviously you aren't going to find many people who've been to both and there'll be some who've loved and hated them for different reasons. They're both widely endorsed by law firms. Unless you need the LLB for some reason, I'd make your choice based on 1) Which you're better at - open book or closed book exams (LPC) or 2) Finances/location.

Never heard of NCLT, sorry.
CoL for solicitor
BPP for barrister
:smile:
Reply 17
Original post by millybing
It does matter if you want to take the New York bar - you need an LLB for that. That's why I chose College of Law, anyway!

I was recently thinking of doing something like this: studying the GDL & LPC, and possibly moving to NY sometime in the future to practise law there.

However, upon expressing an interest in doing this, people have thrown in some warnings, and I was wondering what your thoughts are on the following.

(1) From what I've gathered, for UK grads with an LLB, normally an additional qualification - the LLM - is required to take the bar in either NY or CA, which requires 1 additional year of study on top of the GDL & LPC, meaning at least 3 years of full-time study in law in total. An exception is if the LLB is from one of a few specific schools. I know that the College of Law hands out an LLB if both the GDL and LPC are completed there, but where does it confirm that an LLB from the College of Law, specifically, is sufficient for not having to hold an LLM to take the bar? It would be great if that were the case.

(2) It seems that people think that it's substantially harder to get a TC in NY via such a route than to get a TC in the UK, and the latter is hard enough! People have claimed that there isn't much demand in the US for people with LLBs or even LLMs, when firms can choose amongst a sea of candidates with JDs or other American degrees. Of course, I would like to believe that this isn't true. What makes you inclined to try to find work in the US despite this warning? Have you seen evidence to the contrary?

Also, do you happen to know if working in the US with UK law qualifications entitles one to the benefits of the US system including a higher salary, etc., or are there still substantial differences?

You seem to have some experience with the system, and I would really appreciate your help. Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by millybing

If you're talking about the LLB gained automatically from doing both the GDL & LPC at the CoL, to take the NY bar you'll probably also need an LLM, which constitutes an additional year of study. At least that's what BOLE advised the last time I called them.
Reply 19
http://www.legalweek.com/legal-week/news/1596268/college-law-offer-new-york-bar-course-uk-law-students

This is what I was talking about, sorry if it wasn't very clear. You can do the JD with them if you have their LLB. My original plan was to go to a US firm and, being dual-qualified, to have the freedom to be able to move between their London and US offices. I never really looked into applying in the US first off. In the end I decided not to go the the US route, but it's nice to know the option is there. As far as I know this is the only school that offers it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending