The Student Room Group

Doctor Who: David Tennant vs Matt Smith

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
David Tennant hands down

This was posted from The Student Room's app in my head
Reply 101
I like them both equally. David Tenant set the bar really high, and for me, at least, Matt Smith held up that standard. I think that David's stories and episodes were more interesting, but that's only the writing; acting- wise, I don't think Matt is worse than him at all. After Season 4 ended I never thought the 11th Doctor could ever match up to David, but surprisingly, Matt Smith did.

I wish Season 5 and 6 were as interesting as the ones before, though. 'Blink', the Agatha Christie episode, and 'Silence in the Library', and all the specials and season finales with David Tenant are still the best episodes on my list. On the other hand I found 'The Girl Who Waited' a bit boring, and a lot of the newer episodes don't have that thrilling storyline.

I just hope the next one is as good as them, because after these two it'll be really hard to get used to one who can't uphold that brilliant, entertaining Doctor personality as well.
They both kinda have their pros and cons, although personally I think it has to be Tennant - just so much more depth to his character.

Although in fairness, the writing was definitely better (on the whole) for Tennant's run compared to Matt Smith.
Original post by Cerdog
To be fair, Love and Monsters was arguably the worst-received episode of New Who.

Out of curiosity, what do you look for in an episode of Doctor Who? Alternatively, what are other episodes you strongly like or dislike? I ask this because I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone else who disliked Midnight or (especially) Blink, and I'm interested in why you feel differently.

Okay, favourite five (two part episodes count as one):

The Sontarem Strategem/The Poison Sky
The Stolen Earth/Journey's End
Fathers Day
Boom Town
World War Three

Least favourite five:

Midnight
Love and Monsters
Blink
Amy's Choice
The Eleventh Hour

I'm not that sure what I look for, I'm just not one for long-winded plots or in the case if The Eleventh Hour, just a rubbish storyline.

My favourite episodes of the Matt Smith era have been Victory of the Daleks, The Lodger, Vincent and The Doctor, The Curse of the Black Spot and Closing Time.
Original post by Amwazicles
Ooh, you've just clarified my own opinion on the matter, and it's the direct opposite of yours! I think Tennant's Doctor was a slightly stronger and better developed character (maybe just because he did it for such a long time), but the writing and plotlines of the last few series have been the best ever.

Haha :P

I thought Tennant's Doctor was too 'human', whereas Smith's was how the Doctor should be - more crazy etc. I was really disappointed with the whole 'question that never can be answered' thing and a few other things in the recent episodes; it seemed too obvious and lazy from the writers.
Original post by The Hedonist
Haha :P

I thought Tennant's Doctor was too 'human', whereas Smith's was how the Doctor should be - more crazy etc. I was really disappointed with the whole 'question that never can be answered' thing and a few other things in the recent episodes; it seemed too obvious and lazy from the writers.

Maybe I'm just not very good at predicting plotlines so it takes less to impress me. :tongue: I really like when they have a long and overarching storyline of the series, which Moffat emphasises a lot more than they did in Tennant's era.

I see what you mean about the human thing, but then maybe that's why people like him more. :tongue: I think Smith is a really good characterisation, but if I had to choose one who I would enjoy actually being with as a real person, it would be Tennant's. I guess sometimes it's hard to separate those two feelings although they are different.
I prefer Tennant but the more I watched Smith the more he grew on me. The writing was certainly better in the Tennant era, I think Smith would do just as good a job if he was given stories to the same calibre of Tennant's episodes.

And all these people saying "I watched one episode of Smith and didn't like him", get over yourselves. You're certainly not fans of Doctor Who if that is the case
I loved Tennant, I felt like he made the character really real and likeable. Smith's Doctor is undeniably charming and crazy but sometimes I just think he's a little bit stupid compared to the other Doctors. Maybe it's just the writing, I dunno.
I love them both, in different ways. Matt Smith is just so alien and weird and he's adorable, but David Tennant is the one who made me fall in love with Doctor Who after the Empty Child scared the life out of me when I was 10, didn't watch it after that. So yeah, I just love them both so I can't pick one over the other. Not sure what happened to Steven Moffat (although part of me wonders if I have begun to drift away from Doctor Who, it happens with everything else in the end), because in my opinion he wrote some of the best episodes of the first four series, they were stunning, but in series five and six I wasn't massively keen on the scripts, with the exception of The Doctor's Wife which was Neil Gaiman. I'd love to see him become the next main writer of Doctor Who if it continues, I'm a huge fan of his writing. Think a new Doctor is required soon and a new writer to get people's interest back, a lot of people have drifted away. Although the fact that they're always changing what time of year it's on hasn't helped it at all. So impatient. I want Doctor Who back please!!!
Tennant all thee way! tried to watch Doctor Who with Matt Smith in as well as Steven Moffet writing the episodes (inact still watch them but find them rather confusing and switch off from them alot), but thought personally, they was awful! Amy Pond is an awful companion, she does **** all but stands there in her scottish accent shouting 'doctor' all the time, dont think she has ever saved the world. Rory is okaay i suppose, he reminds me of Mickey :tongue: hehe. The writers have gotten so lazy as well. All the episodes are just based on earth, either in the past or the future. It's awful, it just doesn't feel like Doctor Who anymore. Although, i liked the last few episodes Russell T.Davies written, i thought he started to get a bit big for his boots a little and made the success go to his head, he was running out ideas which was evidential. i loved up until series 4, where i thought the end of it he ruined it by bringing back Rose and all the other companions. Although, i was a big fan of ten and Rose, i thought it kind of ruined her leaving from Doomsday from series 2.. I think David Tennants departure as well as saying goodbye to Rose would be abit more upsetting and heart wrenching as a fan.. for instance, us fans got we want - we saw Rose ending up with the doctor technically, but i think it would of made RTD'S Who go out a lot higher if they wasn't reunited until see them at end of Tennants scene! Other then that, i have nothing to complain about it. RTD was a great writer, and I thought the whole Doomsday story was written excellently as well as Donna's too! Moffett's earlier episodes was alright such as the Girl in the fireplace but jesus, as a head writer? hes terrible. He even managed to somehow ruin Doctor Who confidential, something which was quite fluffy and fun to watch afterwards with RTD's who, but with Moffett's, it seemed all to serious and boring..

Rant over.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 110
Original post by Jammie_x
Tennant all thee way! tried to watch Doctor Who with Matt Smith in as well as Steven Moffet writing the episodes (inact still watch them but find them rather confusing and switch off from them alot), but thought personally, they was awful! Amy Pond is an awful companion, she does **** all but stands there in her scottish accent shouting 'doctor' all the time, dont think she has ever saved the world. Rory is okaay i suppose, he reminds me of Mickey :tongue: hehe. The writers have gotten so lazy as well. All the episodes are just based on earth, either in the past or the future. It's awful, it just doesn't feel like Doctor Who anymore. Although, i liked the last few episodes Russell T.Davies written, i thought he started to get a bit big for his boots a little and made the success go to his head, he was running out ideas which was evidential. i loved up until series 4, where i thought the end of it he ruined it by bringing back Rose and all the other companions. Although, i was a big fan of ten and Rose, i thought it kind of ruined her leaving from Doomsday from series 2.. I think David Tennants departure as well as saying goodbye to Rose would be abit more upsetting and heart wrenching as a fan.. for instance, us fans got we want - we saw Rose ending up with the doctor technically, but i think it would of made RTD'S Who go out a lot higher if they wasn't reunited until see them at end of Tennants scene! Other then that, i have nothing to complain about it. RTD was a great writer, and I thought the whole Doomsday story was written excellently as well as Donna's too! Moffett's earlier episodes was alright such as the Girl in the fireplace but jesus, as a head writer? hes terrible. He even managed to somehow ruin Doctor Who confidential, something which was quite fluffy and fun to watch afterwards with RTD's who, but with Moffett's, it seemed all to serious and boring..

Rant over.

Haha, I can tell you've probably wanted to say that for a while! :biggrin:

I agree with you that the writing isn't as good now, and some of the storylines are confusing!

But I will always love Steven Moffat, because of Sherlock! :love: :colondollar:
I have another idea about why lots of people are saying they like Tennant! I think it's because we've actually seen ten die, we saw his character arc sort of decline until he was basically a sad, angry and lonely old man, and then he died alone and it was heartbreaking and really well written. And I think the trauma of actually seeing the end of his character stays with people a lot more than the beginning of the new character - i.e. eleven. So maybe once eleven leaves, when the next Doctor appears, everyone will fondly remember eleven and say they miss him, because they saw him go and it was upsetting and memorable.
Reply 112
I have another idea about why lots of people are saying they like Tennant! I think it's because we've actually seen ten die, we saw his character arc sort of decline until he was basically a sad, angry and lonely old man, and then he died alone and it was heartbreaking and really well written. And I think the trauma of actually seeing the end of his character stays with people a lot more than the beginning of the new character - i.e. eleven. So maybe once eleven leaves, when the next Doctor appears, everyone will fondly remember eleven and say they miss him, because they saw him go and it was upsetting and memorable.

That's is a good idea! :biggrin: We have seen Tennant develop as a character, and now we miss him.

I've seen the third, fourth, fifth, seventh, and ninth doctor die as well, and I can honestly say that the tenth doctor (Tennant) was the most upsetting (closely followed by the fifth)!

Matt Smith is by no means the worst doctor, that goes to Colin Baker! He just doesn't have that wow-factor that David Tennant has. And that is why Tennant is better in my opinion. :biggrin:
Original post by AJCSShp
That's is a good idea! :biggrin: We have seen Tennant develop as a character, and now we miss him.

I've seen the third, fourth, fifth, seventh, and ninth doctor die as well, and I can honestly say that the tenth doctor (Tennant) was the most upsetting (closely followed by the fifth)!

Matt Smith is by no means the worst doctor, that goes to Colin Baker! He just doesn't have that wow-factor that David Tennant has. And that is why Tennant is better in my opinion. :biggrin:

I guess it's like 'wanting what you can't have', and as soon as ten left, everyone wanted him back. But when nine left, people missed him to, and I guess the same goes for all but the most awful Doctors. :tongue:
I prefer David Tennant due to his flamboyance and charisma as being the Doctor. Nonetheless, his personality is quite distinct to that of Matt Smith and albeit I have seen all Doctor Who episodes from series 1 (in 2005) to series 6, I have seen the episodes from the first 4 series many times in comparison to the episodes featuring Matt Smith since I found them to be more interesting/ captivating. However, this may not be due to the actors, but rather the storylines of each episode and the first four series had more solemn storylines in general so my perception of the Doctors may be down to the writer. All in all, I would say a combination of David Tennant and Russel T Davies produced the best episodes (although funnily enough, I'm eagerly anticipating series 7!).
Original post by Daniel-G1995
David Tennant. I watched every season with David Tennant but only watched one episode with Matt Smith and have never watched another one again, he's just not the same. Matt also looks incredibly weird.

Surely you have to give someone more of a chance than that? What would you say to someone who was a big fan of Ecclestone and the only Tennant story they watched was one like 'Fear Her'? That was a bad episode, but it shouldn't put you off the actor playing the Doctor for it.

Which Smith episode did you see? :holmes:

I reckon Smith's best episodes so far have been 'Amy's Choice', 'The Doctor's Wife' and then either 'The God Complex' or 'The Girl Who Waited'. Give them a try.

As for him not being the same. Tennant was very different to Ecclestone and I remember people saying he wouldn't be the same and he would now 'ruin it' and yet those who gave him a chance tended to actually approve! So why can't that happen again?
david tenant all the way!!

As I mentioned in my post just above, I've seen people criticise Tennant before he started due to Ecclestone. They then loved Tennant and did the same thing to Smith. It really is quite interesting to watch. Especially when I try to explain to them that they are repeating themselves from before and what happened from that.
Original post by markybhoy999
I prefer Tennant but the more I watched Smith the more he grew on me. The writing was certainly better in the Tennant era, I think Smith would do just as good a job if he was given stories to the same calibre of Tennant's episodes.

And all these people saying "I watched one episode of Smith and didn't like him", get over yourselves. You're certainly not fans of Doctor Who if that is the case

Steven Moffat as writer of small stand a lone episodes/two-parters: Some of the best episodse in New Who.

Steven Moffat as show runner: Yeah and now let's throw that in there and try and confuse the viewer with all the timey-wimeyness and let them see how clever I am.

I still watch it and long for the Moff to go back to his older totally more awesome style. I don't really like his arc stories, especially if they run over multiple series. Sure it is a break from it's all done and dusted by the end of the series but it should be done and finished in the second. Going into a third and people just lose interest in it as what's to stop him just trolling us further and saving it for a fourth series. :unimpressed:
Original post by AJCSShp
Haha, I can tell you've probably wanted to say that for a while! :biggrin:

I agree with you that the writing isn't as good now, and some of the storylines are confusing!

But I will always love Steven Moffat, because of Sherlock! :love: :colondollar:

haha, your right! :biggrin: everyone else i know seemed to have warmed to Smithy & Moffett, so haven't really vented about it tbh haha. I don't get why tbh.. but i know when one person said 'oh you obviously are not a fan of doctor who, if dont like matt smith' i think some of them took it to heart so kinda just like it because someone said that.

The thing is, he was actually good at Sherlock. He wrote that very well indeed and it worked out well for him. it was quite clever and it worked because he got the chance to set the tone of that show while with doctor who, it was already a set tone done by RTD which we obviously got used to, so when he came along, it just made me feel uncomfortable a tad. In some ways, he makes it very babyish and others, he makes it too grown up. Just dont think Moffett has it cut out to do doctor who :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest