Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Conduct of the Speakership Election

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread has been posted with the approval of the Speaker. It's not a motion but simply a discussion thread which has got the approval of the Speaker.

(Original post by Thread posted by Matthew_Lowson and Life_Peer)
    This thread is not about bringing anyone to account for what has happened during the speakership election but is designed to be a discussion about what has arisen and House can best deal with these should arise again.

There are clear procedures and rules governing an election and it's always important that in an election that the rules and procedures are followed. If they are followed then there can be no complaints about the conduct of a returning officer.

The nature of the requirements for anyone to be speaker that they must be elected. I.e. there is no automatic entitlement to the position should there be a single candidate. That means that there can be no election which can be unhealthy.

However, it is not for any member of the House whether they be an MP not to place pressure upon a candidate to withdraw from the election or to criticise the candidate for abiding by the rules in continuing as they are entitled to do in the process of trying to hasten the opportunity for other candidates with a 'renewed interest' in the position to begin the preparations of their campaigns should the situation arise, likewise it is not for any member to encourage the speaker to intervene.

If MPs do not believe that the candidates offered to them are suitable or otherwise ones they wish to support then they are free to vote RON if they wish. That ensures that we get a speaker who has the support of the House. Surely that is healthy for the House regardless of whether that the election is being contested by a half dozen candidates, or whether it be as in this case just one single candidate.

In the spirit of 'fair play' it should be encouraged that those who do plan to enter a second election should that situation arise to openly declare their candidatures before the House if the current candidate is obliged to declare his candidature should the situation arise.

Nick as Speaker should be supported in the decision that he took to allow in not intervening and reopening the process before this election process has taken it's course. I'm sure that the House will join with us in offering its best wishes in his retirement.

The election result is going to be very interesting. We are sure that all members of the House will offer total respect to the outcome of the result, whatever that may be.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is to acknowledge that I agree with Matthew_Lowson on this and think that certain members should reconsider their behaviour in such cases. Accusations of future partisanship and demands to withdraw from a valid election are the true ‘unhealthiness’ we have here, I think. The Speakership election should not be a political competition. I have expressed myself quite clearly in the election topic so if you missed that and happen to be interested, there it is.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who are you two to tell everyone else why they should or should not vote RON? The judgement belongs individual MPs - they can vote to re-open nominations for whatever reason they like. I think I might vote RON because this is outrageous (for instance). Neither of you are doing Hamish any favours.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    Who are you two to tell everyone else why they should or should not vote RON? The judgement belongs individual MPs - they can vote to re-open nominations for whatever reason they like. I think I might vote RON because this is outrageous (for instance). Neither of you are doing Hamish any favours.
    I've not said members should and should not vote RON? Like the thread says

If MPs do not believe that the candidates offered to them are suitable or otherwise ones they wish to support then they are free to vote RON if they wish.
    • 84 followers

ReputationRep:
    As I have said previously: people are free to say whatever they wish to say within the confines of site rules and it is up to the person it is directed at to respond as they see fit. Toronto is not a child and expressing the opinion that he should withdraw is not tantamount to trying to make him (read: force him to) withdraw and frankly the idea that we need to take our behavioral cues from you is amusing.

I mean this with all due respect to yourself: jog on.

Edit: I should explain that the due respect referenced above does not amount to a great deal.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    But it's not for anyone, me or otherwise to start trying to get the speaker to act what would have been in breach of the election procedure in reopening the election because there is only a single candidate. Of course, if the vote comes back for RON then that's a different matter.
    • 84 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    But it's not for anyone, me or otherwise to start trying to get the speaker to act what would have been in breach of the election procedure in reopening the election because there is only a single candidate. Of course, if the vote comes back for RON then that's a different matter.
    People can try to get the speaker to do whatever they please - it is his job to tell them that the answer is no and to be emphatic and clear about that. Stop trying to define the nature of our discourse on here by your own imagined parameters because that isn't how it works and you should know that because you have been here longer than I have. I agree with you that Nick should not have simply reopened the process and would not have been impressed if he had but I completely disagree with you that there is anything wrong whatsoever with people presenting it as an option - forcefully or otherwise.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've not said members should and should not vote RON? Like the thread says
    Missing the point. People can vote RON for whatever the hell they like, it's purely their choice.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is M_L Toronto's official spokesman? Lol. Tbh I agree with a lot of what Paddy has said. The Speaker and Toronto are not little children, I'm sure they are perfectly capable of defending themselves...
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eff01)
    Is M_L Toronto's official spokesman? Lol. Tbh I agree with a lot of what Paddy has said. The Speaker and Toronto are not little children, I'm sure they are perfectly capable of defending themselves...

This has nothing to do with toronto - I'm not his spokesman at all. He hasn't seen this before it has been posted here.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate these issues being raised guys, but you and I and everyone has to respect the wishes of the MPs who have voted. You may not like it, but we have a system that is tried and tested. I don't agree with people voting RON obviously, but that is their choice and we, as a democratic institution, must respect that. If RON wins, then fine because I will still fight the next election to show those who have voted RON that I am the right person for the office of Speaker. At the moment, we must wait until the results are known before proceeding with whatever next steps are needed (i.e. running again if RON wins/ taking the Speaker's chair if I win).
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I appreciate these issues being raised guys, but you and I and everyone has to respect the wishes of the MPs who have voted. You may not like it, but we have a system that is tried and tested. I don't agree with people voting RON obviously, but that is their choice and we, as a democratic institution, must respect that. If RON wins, then fine because I will still fight the next election to show those who have voted RON that I am the right person for the office of Speaker. At the moment, we must wait until the results are known before proceeding with whatever next steps are needed (i.e. running again if RON wins/ taking the Speaker's chair if I win).
    I totally agree with you, and this is not a thread to tell people what or who they should vote for in an election. That is most definitely not the intention that myself or L_P had when we discussed this.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Well said buddy
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with you, and this is not a thread to tell people what or who they should vote for in an election. That is most definitely not the intention that myself or L_P had when we discussed this.
    I believe you, but I think that we should let the election run its natural course really. I, for the record, don't agree with people voting RON, but if running in a second election is what must happen for me to finally persuade those people who voted RON in this election that I am the best person for the office of Speaker, then so be it.

(Original post by eff01)
    Well said buddy
    Thanks.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    This looks like pressuring MP's to vote a certain way, MP's are independently minded and will vote which way they think is best. The poll is private.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Drama!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    All my supporters voted RON I guess naughty supporters! Anyway if I could vote I would vote for toronto but if RON wins I will be submitting a manifesto again.
    • 84 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetguru)
    All my supporters voted RON I guess naughty supporters! Anyway if I could vote I would vote for toronto but if RON wins I will be submitting a manifesto again.
    Don't employ Matthew as your campaign manager :nope:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Don't employ Matthew as your campaign manager :nope:
    Too late we already signed the contract this morning over brunch.
    • 84 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetguru)
    Too late we already signed the contract this morning over brunch.
    Did you make him shout SHOW ME THE MONEY?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 3, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.