Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Conduct of the Speakership Election

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Did you make him shout SHOW ME THE MONEY?
    Yes and I responded that it is currently in a Nigerian bank account I inherited from a long lost relative I just need a small fee to cover tax costs etc so I can wire him the money.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    But it's not for anyone, me or otherwise to start trying to get the speaker to act what would have been in breach of the election procedure in reopening the election because there is only a single candidate. Of course, if the vote comes back for RON then that's a different matter.
    Surely MPs / posters have the right to ask the speaker to act in a certain way, and then the speaker uses their own judgement if to act or not? I don't recall anyone telling the Speaker that he must act in a certain way, or asking the speaker to act once he gave his decision on the matter.

From an outside point as well, I find it interesting that most of the posts of the nature that I quoted are made by the TSR UKIP party. I doubt that toronto353 is using his position unfairly, but I wonder if the people posting that it is unfair would think so if the person was another person outside the party.

(Edit: Got ahead of myself, others have made the same point but my point is really the basis of this thread. MPs can try and convince others to vote a certain way if they want, and can also make requests of the speaker (which can be turned down))
    • 84 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    Surely MPs / posters have the right to ask the speaker to act in a certain way, and then the speaker uses their own judgement if to act or not? I don't recall anyone telling the Speaker that he must act in a certain way, or asking the speaker to act once he gave his decision on the matter.

From an outside point as well, I find it interesting that most of the posts of the nature that I quoted are made by the TSR UKIP party. I doubt that toronto353 is using his position unfairly, but I wonder if the people posting that it is unfair would think so if the person was in another person.

(Edit: Got ahead of myself, others have made the same point but my point is really the basis of this thread. MPs can try and convince others to vote a certain way if they want, and can also make requests of the speaker (which can be turned down))
    I think there are bigger issues to address if candidates are being eaten.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Members should retain and reserve the right to express their opinion on these matter - including whether a candidate should withdraw, or whether people should vote RON. I don't agree with any of this thread and I don't see any need for it to be posted. Due process was followed and the candidate was rejected for whatever reason (in this case, that it was not healthy to have a one candidate election). Thus, we have a second round. Just like if more people had voted for toronto than RON, then he would be speaker. I really don't see the issue here.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    I think there are bigger issues to address if candidates are being eaten.
    You can tell it has been a long day for me Fixed my original post.

Although, being inside another person doesn't necessary mean they were eaten, they could just be showing love for each other!
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesusandtequila)
    Members should retain and reserve the right to express their opinion on these matter - including whether a candidate should withdraw, or whether people should vote RON. I don't agree with any of this thread and I don't see any need for it to be posted. Due process was followed and the candidate was rejected for whatever reason (in this case, that it was not healthy to have a one candidate election). Thus, we have a second round. Just like if more people had voted for toronto than RON, then he would be speaker. I really don't see the issue here.
    I agree and I hope I can show you this time around that I am the right person to become Speaker.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I agree and I hope I can show you this time around that I am the right person to become Speaker.
    Come on toronto show some steel to the voters. Voters are stupid little animals that want to be tamed they see strength and they are drawn to it like a moth to a flame. The whole "please sir can I have some more" routine saddens me.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetguru)
    Come on toronto show some steel to the voters. Voters are stupid little animals that want to be tamed they see strength and they are drawn to it like a moth to a flame. The whole "please sir can I have some more" routine saddens me.
    That's entirely your opinion and you're welcome to it. I'm glad that I'm making you sad - it clearly show that I must be doing something right. Now run along.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's entirely your opinion and you're welcome to it. I'm glad that I'm making you sad - it clearly show that I must be doing something right. Now run along.
    It makes you seem like Mitt Romney flipping and flopping to impress every potential audience. Your whole routine about regretting bills about taking away freedom of speech and all this "I hope I win you over *insert random smiley" seems so fake. I want to see the real Toronto, I want to stare into his eyes before I take away his pride and storm to victory in the election.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    It makes you seem like Mitt Romney flipping and flopping to impress every potential audience. Your whole routine about regretting bills about taking away freedom of speech and all this "I hope I win you over *insert random smiley" seems so fake. I want to see the real Toronto, I want to stare into his eyes before I take away his pride and storm to victory in the election.
    I'm always happy to irritate you. I see that ignorance is truly bliss. You're welcome to your opinion about me being fake and I'm not going to try to change that. Now run along.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm always happy to irritate you. I see that ignorance is truly bliss. Now run along.
    I like how you lost an election against yourself. The only person in the history of elections to ever lose against himself. Run along now.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like how you lost an election against yourself. The only person in the history of elections to ever lose against himself. Run along now.
    And how many elections with one person (and RON) have there been previously?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    And how many elections with one person (and RON) have their been previously?
    there*.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    there*.
    Yes, well done, you managed to find a mistake in my grammar after I have had a long day. You also didn't answer my question, maybe because you don't know, maybe because the answer will make you look silly.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, well done, you managed to find a mistake in my grammar after I have had a long day. You also didn't answer my question, maybe because you don't know, maybe because the answer will make you look silly.
    Or maybe because it is irrelevant as my statement is still correct.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe because it is irrelevant as my statement is still correct.
    Interesting, is this the approach you are going to take if you run again, ignore all questions you are asked as long as your manifesto is correct?

On another note, then context is still important. toronto353 may have been the only person to lose an election against RON, but then if he is only person to do so, you could say that any single person, if they had of ran against RON, would have lost. I believe that a lot of the MPs voted RON not because they didn't think toronto353 would do a bad job, but they didn't want a single-candidate winner as someone less confident might do a better job if they don't think they are running against a much more experienced and well known member.

Maybe a more relevant question to ask is which candidates for the election have been banned recently? Wouldn't want a speaker who can't do his job for a week because he has been banned - that looks bad on the house, it would be like a real life speaker ending up in prison.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hope the new election is without the bitterness and unpleasantness of the first.
    • 84 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can tell it has been a long day for me Fixed my original post.

Although, being inside another person doesn't necessary mean they were eaten, they could just be showing love for each other!
    True enough!
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    Delightful as ever to speak with you. I look forward to our debate.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Delightful as ever to speak with you. I look forward to our debate.
    But he should have said RON along now...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 3, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.