The Student Room Group

Being 17 in uni :@

Scroll to see replies

I'm in the same boat - I won't turn 18 until May next year! I'll be going to Glasgow or Stirling though. What are you hoping to study?

GOOD LUCK! I know how nerve-wracking it is!
Reply 21
Ethical hacking and counter measures, you? And tell me about it good luck to you

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
French and either Latin or Spanish (both are joint honors but Stirling doesn't offer Latin :frown: ) I need AAAB for Glasgow and there's a chance I will have got it, but if not then it's BBBB for Stirling. What do you need to get for your conditions to be met?

Hopefully there will be other people in the same situation as me but as I was the only person from my school to apply early it's not looking like there are many of us this year going for advanced entry! Are you going for student accommodation? (I live near Dundee so know what the flats for Abertay are like)
Reply 23
Original post by InkingTheSky
French and either Latin or Spanish (both are joint honors but Stirling doesn't offer Latin :frown: ) I need AAAB for Glasgow and there's a chance I will have got it, but if not then it's BBBB for Stirling. What do you need to get for your conditions to be met?

Hopefully there will be other people in the same situation as me but as I was the only person from my school to apply early it's not looking like there are many of us this year going for advanced entry! Are you going for student accommodation? (I live near Dundee so know what the flats for Abertay are like)

I need BBBB which is reasonable. No I live like 20 minutes away so I'm staying at home for first year :smile:

Reply 24
well sheldon cooper went to university aged 11, so i imagine the adjustment was somewhat more difficult for him x
Original post by Kgarratley
I need BBBB which is reasonable. No I live like 20 minutes away so I'm staying at home for first year :smile:

Are you confident you've got in then? :smile:

I'm praying I haven't really messed up somewhere, I'll be very happy with either of my choices tbh.
Reply 26
I don't know keep going over my exams and finding things I'd do differently :/

What highers did you take? I know a few of mine I've looked at the marking schemes and panicked.

I did English, Maths, Business Management, French (of course) and Music.
Reply 28
English Maths computing graphic communication and history. I think two a's is a definite no idea about the rest though

Maths was horrendous! We had AH students check over paper 2 and they said some of the stuff was from their course but even they couldn't do loads of it... Hated it. I'm writing that one off and I'm glad I only need 4 passes
Reply 30
It really was. That's why I'm worried :/

Hopefully they'll drop the pass mark (they have to, don't they?). I know our SG pass mark was dropped so let's pray they do the same. Or even just congratulate us for trying. A's all round!! :biggrin:

As maths was one of the first and it was so difficult, it made me try a lot harder for my other exams 'cause I knew I would have to do well in them. I properly used every waking hour to study :P
Reply 32
I attempted to... Such a lack of motivation

Reply 33
Original post by spacepirate-James
I was 17 when I started and it wasn't much of a problem. I couldn't buy alcohol but just got my friends to do it. Clubs are no problem if you have a suitable ID, so perhaps a relative or a generous friend? I'm asian (and since we all look the same) so that wasn't really an issue for me.

:smile:

That sounds alright but it wouldn't be possible at every university. I go to Loughborough and there were 2 17 year olds in my halls during freshers. Both of them had to be breathalysed every hour when they were out in the union. Lets hope it's not like that for the OP :smile:
Reply 34
There will be plenty of other 17 year olds at a Scottish uni. There is a post very similar to this on the scottish uni forum so you will probably find more people in the same situation over there!
Reply 35
You probs won't be IDed 'cause the assumption'll be that everyone is 18+

Besides, you'll make friends who'll understand and probs buy you drinks as you'll be the cute young one Of them xD

Totally DO turn up
Reply 36
Thanks, I will then. Although will need to leave at like 11 for the bus haha

Reply 37
I'm in Glasgow uni, several people I know were born in February and so were 17 for most of 1st year, just unluckily, they still had a really good time cause most of freshers week is done in the unions and they tend to not ask for ID.
Go to your freshers, it will be fun :smile:

Original post by LSD
I'm in Glasgow uni, several people I know were born in February and so were 17 for most of 1st year, just unluckily, they still had a really good time cause most of freshers week is done in the unions and they tend to not ask for ID.
Go to your freshers, it will be fun :smile:

That seems pretty good - I was worrying about Glasgow Freshers' because it seems like there's no point if you can't get into pubs/clubs etc.
Reply 39
Original post by InkingTheSky
That seems pretty good - I was worrying about Glasgow Freshers' because it seems like there's no point if you can't get into pubs/clubs etc.

Stick to the unions and it'll be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending