Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anybody experienced in rowing?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about starting to row at one of the clubs in my town, just wondered if anybody here had experience in the sport or advice for someone thinking of starting?

Some of you will probably notice I made a thread about starting to box, but after speaking to my Dad about what sport to take up, he thinks I should check out rowing and could be good at it. Just exploring all my options to be honest. I always loved watching rowing in the Olympics and use the rowing machines at the gym, but nothing extensive.

I checked out a website for a local club and they have some requirements about being able to tread for a couple of minutes, swim a certain distance in light clothes etc. This shouldn't be a problem as I took swimming lessons for a good few years and will get back in the pool as practice. I know from the machines how hard it is but I go to the gym 3 times a week and I run, so I enjoy exercise. Cheers for all posts!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Can't say I'm massively experienced, but I rowed for a team in university. It's definitely good fitness, and because you keep pace, it's great motivation to exercise as well. It works your legs, arms and core simultaneously. Only drawback is that you get pressured into wearing lycra, and early mornings if it's the only time everyone in the boat is free.

Practically, an 8 or even 4-man boat is stable as hell, so you shouldn't actually spend any time *in* the water unless a) you get thrown in (it happens), b) you try sculling (1-2 man boat) or c) you do something stupid.

For a beginner, if you can hold maybe a split (time for 500m) of under 2 minutes for 2000m, you'll be absolutely fine. I doubt they'll row faster than that at first.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunderX)
    Can't say I'm massively experienced, but I rowed for a team in university. It's definitely good fitness, and because you keep pace, it's great motivation to exercise as well. It works your legs, arms and core simultaneously. Only drawback is that you get pressured into wearing lycra, and early mornings if it's the only time everyone in the boat is free.

Practically, an 8 or even 4-man boat is stable as hell, so you shouldn't actually spend any time *in* the water unless a) you get thrown in (it happens), b) you try sculling (1-2 man boat) or c) you do something stupid.

For a beginner, if you can hold maybe a split (time for 500m) of under 2 minutes for 2000m, you'll be absolutely fine. I doubt they'll row faster than that at first.
    Yeah, I guess it's just for safety in case something did somehow go wrong. The one club I looked at ran 'Learn to row' courses at certain times of the year, so presumably I would be rowing with beginners like myself on this course. Thanks for the post, was helpful.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did it for a couple of years. Even when sculling, it's pretty easy to stay out of the water. There will be a fair bit of "rowing banter", which for me mostly comprised of people getting thrown in the river, as said above. You'll want to be hitting the ergo several times a week, and keep trying to improve your splits. Focus on technique over strokes per minute. When I was first learning we got told to keep it below 30 strokes per minute and just focus on explosive power; the advice certainly worked for our teams!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arva)
    I did it for a couple of years. Even when sculling, it's pretty easy to stay out of the water. There will be a fair bit of "rowing banter", which for me mostly comprised of people getting thrown in the river, as said above. You'll want to be hitting the ergo several times a week, and keep trying to improve your splits. Focus on technique over strokes per minute. When I was first learning we got told to keep it below 30 strokes per minute and just focus on explosive power; the advice certainly worked for our teams!
    Cheers, I'll keep researching!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    just do it, you won't regret it! i have been rowing 4 years now (since the last olympics) completely addicted, it gets you fit, there are lots of competitions if youre looking to compete, and rowers are generally very sociable people, my club is now like a second family to me! which club is it? if you don't mind me asking!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloe45)
    just do it, you won't regret it! i have been rowing 4 years now (since the last olympics) completely addicted, it gets you fit, there are lots of competitions if youre looking to compete, and rowers are generally very sociable people, my club is now like a second family to me! which club is it? if you don't mind me asking!
    I think it's between swimming and rowing now, I like the look of so many sports it's hard to pick one

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 31, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.