The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

English/Theatre at Sussex

Hi,

So I've heard rave reviews of the English Literature course at Sussex, but there isn't a whole lot of meat on their site, along with this site, on the theatre programme.

Is the teaching purely theoretical, or is there a practical component? I see no mention of any theatre on campus, but there are theatre societies so there must be a performance space, or so I am guessing. Also, how are the module choices?

Also, I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with the joint honours English/Theatre course and would be willing to shell out an opinion on it.
Reply 1
sdawood
I see no mention of any theatre on campus, but there are theatre societies so there must be a performance space, or so I am guessing.
The Uni have recently built a small studio theatre space (which seats about 30) which is used for the drama course and it sounds ok. There is also a performance space in Falmer House (the Union building) but it is currently unlicensed (but we're working on it). We have a theatre on campus (Gardner Arts Centre) but its not really part of the University and students don't use it. We also have drama performances in Hothouse (our club) but this isn't really ideal as its really small.

Jo x
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
sdawood
Hi,

So I've heard rave reviews of the English Literature course at Sussex, but there isn't a whole lot of meat on their site, along with this site, on the theatre programme.

Is the teaching purely theoretical, or is there a practical component? I see no mention of any theatre on campus, but there are theatre societies so there must be a performance space, or so I am guessing. Also, how are the module choices?

Also, I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with the joint honours English/Theatre course and would be willing to shell out an opinion on it.

Are you hoping to study drama and english?I have applied for the combined drama and english and am interested in how good the drama department is too!Anyone doing this course at the moment?

Latest