Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gold medals contain only 1.3% gold!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Each gold medal is made up of 92.5 percent silver and 1.34 percent gold, with the remainder copper.

The silver medal (which represents second place) is made up of 92.5 percent silver, with the remainder copper.

The bronze medal is made up of 97 percent copper, 2.5 percent zinc and 0.5 percent tin.

The value of the materials in the gold metal is approximately $644. The silver is worth approximately $330. The bronze medal approximately $4.71 on the current market."

Thoughts?

http://olympics.yardbarker.com/blog/...think/11334214
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No thoughts about this. The value of the medal itself, sentimental or monetary, has nothing to do with the amount of valuable ore it contains
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    People only care about the outside, not the inside. And was a fact made known decades ago when places first started doing this.

Thoughts? Complete nothng story.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    this was on QI a while back .. and cant remember what the cost was to give all the gold medists real gold but i remember thinking that in the grand skeem of things it was worth it .. better then most of the bs stuff they spent money on that was totaly pointless.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    at the end of the way, its the record in the history books that really matters
    • 69 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motobrock)
    better then most of the bs stuff they spent money on that was totaly pointless.
    Such as?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It could be made of wood for all I care and I'd still run around everywhere screaming like a moron if I won a medal....

Lot of symbolic awesomeness wedged into a small block
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    It could be made of wood for all I care and I'd still run around everywhere screaming like a moron if I won a medal....

Lot of symbolic awesomeness wedged into a small block
    This. I'd gladly sacrifice my brother on a pagan alter if it meant winning an Olympic Medal
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather than the medals had a metal value of $50,000 and that half the budget went on paying for them?

Unless the athlete plans to melt it down it hardly matters.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...re-Dorset.html

Few things that just seem like places were money was poorly spent... like the g4s crap. The amount they played that guy and he ballsed it up who the hell thought it was a good idea to give him the contract...

Anyone know how much it would cost to give them all solid gold?

Also kinda unrelated butdo they intend on keeping everything they have build for the Olympics?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Drewski)
    This. I'd gladly sacrifice my brother on a pagan alter if it meant winning an Olympic Medal
    Imagine an Olympic medal replacing the ring.

My precious
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    Would you rather than the medals had a metal value of $50,000 and that half the budget went on paying for them?

Unless the athlete plans to melt it down it hardly matters.
    Ok say it costs 50k each to make em real gold. Then it's gonna cost like $15million but in a £9 billion games it a drop in the ocean. And it would make then that bit more special. And something to set the London games apart from others...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Olympic medals have pretty much always been made this way.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    We're all in this together, even the athletes
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course they are. Have you seen the size of them?

Do you really think they're going to be handing out slabs of gold this size?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was common knowledge. This isn't something new. There's no need to use expensive metals in the creation of Olympic medals because absolutely none of their value comes from their composition - it comes from what they represent. If the prize for first place was a piece of coal, it would still have immense value (not in the monetary sense) because it would be a piece of coal representing the fact that you're the best in the world at your chosen discipline.

If anything, I think that fussing over this and trying to change them to real gold would make them less valuable, because that would be emphasising the monetary value that victory brings over the value of victory in and of itself, which is really what the Olympics are about. We're not talking about premiership football here.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    feel like I should point out that "The bronze medal is made up of 97 percent copper, 2.5 percent zinc and 0.5 percent tin." is basically the same as saying "the bronze medal is made up of 100% bronze" since bronze is a alloy made of mostly copper and usually tin often also with zinc..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It would be a massive waste of gold if they were primarily gold.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    also I completely agree with this and this is why it really doesn't matter what they are actually made of
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Was this in the daily mail by any chance?
    It's supposed to be a prize, not a payment to the athlete.

It's pretty odd how they medals have got larger and more blinged up over the past few decades though, they used to look like large coins and now they're the size of giant cookies. According to wiki they're around 400g this time. If phelps or someone won 8 and tried to wear them all at once it'd be heavier than 3 bags of sugar hanging off his neck.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 31, 2012
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.