Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think Yi Shiwen cheated in the 400m for swimming?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: Did Yi Shiwen cheat?
    Yes, I think so. It's impossible.
    16.01%
    No, I think she made the impossible possible.
    56.23%
    I'm not sure, waiting for the results whether she did or not.
    31.67%

• 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Until shes been proven guilty i will just say she upped her game for it. Athletes have broken their PB before so why should we question it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    The US coach that has accused her of cheating should be ashamed of themselves. You come across looking like one hell of a sore loser when you do it. You can't go around accusing people when your only evidence is, "She swam real fast". It's disrespectful and irresponsible.
    Talk about the darker side of the Olympics eh? Anyway bring on the womens finals tonight!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    drugs are part of most professional sports. you're very naieve if you think otherwise.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    She comes out of nowhere, beats her PB before the Olympics by 5 seconds now, the WR is beaten by 1 second. She is 16. (That Lithuanian girl didn't come close to the WR).

Yea right she didn't dope. Clean tests now don't prove anything. You can dope as much as you want in training if your national doping agency doesn't test you and you don't go to events it won't be noticed.
    Are the tests done by the national doping agency or some global agency? Secondly, do all the remnants of the drug fully digest and disappear from someone's body before they compete in an event?

I have to admit, from past history and what she achieved, it looks suspicious, but she was found to be clean so congratulations to her. If we start to think that our tests are useless, then we may as well not even watch the games because anyone could be doping.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tackla)
    Her results from the drug test will come out in 2 months time. Dont be suspicious. Celebrate her.
    Drug tests aren't even close to being effective at catching designer drugs. Perhaps when the testers catch up then we'll find out, although we might have to wait 8 years.

The US coach that has accused her of cheating should be ashamed of themselves. You come across looking like one hell of a sore loser when you do it. You can't go around accusing people when your only evidence is, "She swam real fast". It's disrespectful and irresponsible.
    Actually it is more complicated than that. When people perform at exceptional levels, in sports with a history of doping, questions should be asked.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djpailo)
    Are the tests done by the national doping agency or some global agency? Secondly, do all the remnants of the drug fully digest and disappear from someone's body before they compete in an event?

I have to admit, from past history and what she achieved, it looks suspicious, but she was found to be clean so congratulations to her. If we start to think that our tests are useless, then we may as well not even watch the games because anyone could be doping.
    Tests are done by an international body.

Some drugs can't be spotted by the current tests.

Some drugs will be out of their system by the time they are tested, but testing is often a year round process.

Often people are found to be doping many years after the event when testers catch up with the designer drugs. (See "the clear")
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No doubt about it.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maths, swimming, what is next?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    Actually it is more complicated than that. When people perform at exceptional levels, in sports with a history of doping, questions should be asked.
    I disagree. Drug tests will be done regardless of whether someone questions her or not. I agree with your earlier point about how in some cases drugs probably aren't detected but if that's the case then there's not a lot that can be done. In those cases it's on the conscious of the person involved and whether they can live with themselves knowing they didn't win fairly.

I do, however, think it is incredibly irresponsible for someone in a respected position to cry foul in such situations. It doesn't put them in a good light either even if it turns out she has cheated.

Whenever I participate in sports there are two things I can't stand being said to me. One is that I'm not giving 100% when I am and the other being accused of cheating when I haven't. To call someone a cheat, or even question it, is a very big statement. That's all I'm saying.
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fires)
    All top Olympians train like trojans. The issue in this case is her extraordinarily unusual performance, which she has not managed before and which puts her light-years above her fellow athletes. Yes, there are super-exceptional athletes sometimes but you tend to see them being super-exceptional over a period of many years. Time will tell. There isn't proof yet, but the odds are she's a drug cheater.
    Ok then, as they say, innocent until proven guilty.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by commandant)
    drugs are part of most professional sports. you're very naieve if you think otherwise.
    Naive*

Yeah athletes take painkillers and anti-inflammatories all the time, and they are more likely to take antibiotics or anti-virals if they feel ill.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. Drug tests will be done regardless of whether someone questions her or not. I agree with your earlier point about how in some cases drugs probably aren't detected but if that's the case then there's not a lot that can be done. In those cases it's on the conscious of the person involved and whether they can live with themselves knowing they didn't win fairly.

I do, however, think it is incredibly irresponsible for someone in a respected position to cry foul in such situations. It doesn't put them in a good light either even if it turns out she has cheated.

Whenever I participate in sports there are two things I can't stand being said to me. One is that I'm not giving 100% when I am and the other being accused of cheating when I haven't. To call someone a cheat, or even question it, is a very big statement. That's all I'm saying.
    I'm pretty sure that the US Coach didn't actually accuse her of cheating. In fact he said:

"We want to be very careful about calling it doping"

The point of questioning a result isn't to get a drug test done, we all know that they are done, it is just a matter of being curious about the result.

Questioning performances in these sports is justified when, as I've said before, people have been misled so many times before in the past. Being sceptical is not a negative thing.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that the US Coach didn't actually accuse her of cheating. In fact he said:

"We want to be very careful about calling it doping"

The point of questioning a result isn't to get a drug test done, we all know that they are done, it is just a matter of being curious about the result.

Questioning performances in these sports is justified when, as I've said before, people have been misled so many times before in the past. Being sceptical is not a negative thing.
    He says that but he's still essentially making an accusation but using language so he can say otherwise when later questioned.

Be curious privately and wait for the result. That would be my advice to the US coach.

I know. I'm a big cycling fan and that is a sport that has had a lot of doping problems and there are times when I struggle to support people in the sport. You see someone do something spectacular and in the back of your head is a little voice saying, 'Don't get too excited. Don't cheer him on. He maybe cheating like the others did'. And I'll tell you this, I hate myself for thinking that.

Anyway, it seems we're going round in circles now, so we'll have to agree to disagree
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djpailo)

It is known that the US doping agency was lax in testing athletes during training and I am sure that Armstrong doped in the off season. I refuse to believe winners before him (Ulrich, Riis, Pantani and the 5 time in a row Indurain tested positive) and afterwards (Contador, Landis) were doped but he managed an incredible 7 years in a row sometimes absolutely thrashing opponents and he wasnt doping??? Plus he is now being charged. The huge benefits of off season doping are never looked at strongly enough, they only ever look are you doping right now during the event.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    In that case I think we agree. Public figures probably shouldn't be making statements like that, since it will probably come back to bite them.

However, people should be able to question result like that without being shouted down.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    It is known that the US doping agency was lax in testing athletes during training and I am sure that Armstrong doped in the off season. I refuse to believe winners before him (Ulrich, Riis, Pantani and the 5 time in a row Indurain tested positive) and afterwards (Contador, Landis) were doped but he managed an incredible 7 years in a row sometimes absolutely thrashing opponents and he wasnt doping??? Plus he is now being charged. The huge benefits of off season doping are never looked at strongly enough, they only ever look are you doping right now during the event.
    Think the best example of the US Team doping was the 1988 Olympics when Carl Lewis failed drugs tests at trials and then went on to be awarded Gold. Later on he claimed that it was ok because "There were hundreds of people getting off," he said. "Everyone was treated the same."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2003...s.duncanmackay
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    In that case I think we agree. Public figures probably shouldn't be making statements like that, since it will probably come back to bite them.

However, people should be able to question result like that without being shouted down.
    It has become natural in some cases to question and as I said, I don't like questioning but I do it myself. I guess it's the sad state of some sports and the cheats in the past have a lot to answer to since they've ruined certain sports' reputations.

It seems we do agree on more than I first thought
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:

As far as I know, it's more the fact that she has improved her personal best by over five seconds than the fact that she beat the world record. :confused:
    In a sport where first and last place are often apart by hundredths of a second, improving that much in less than a year is extraordinary, so it's natural that some questions will be asked, right?

I get what you mean completely - it's really hurtful to be accused of cheating when you haven't, and I'm with you on that people shouldn't be flat out accusing her of doping at all. But I can also see why questions are being asked, and I don't see anything wrong with that given the situation.

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I see no reason to suspect she cheated.

That US coach did not outrightly say she cheated, but he implied it, which is just as bad. In the end, he's just making himself look sour and a bad sportsman.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't impossible, because she did it, that's hard work and dedication, it's not fair when someone 'over performs' you immediately point to PEDS, if she tests positive, then fair enough, but there is no need/use for speculating till then. Can't we just assume she's awesome till then, like that 15 year old Lithuanian lass that broke records and picked up a gold?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 4, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.