Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think Yi Shiwen cheated in the 400m for swimming?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Did Yi Shiwen cheat?
    Yes, I think so. It's impossible.
    16.01%
    No, I think she made the impossible possible.
    56.23%
    I'm not sure, waiting for the results whether she did or not.
    31.67%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    OLYMPIC champion Rebecca Adlington produced a superb finish to win the 800metres freestyle title at the World Championships in China.

Adlington beat defending champion Lotte Friis yesterday to win her second medal of the competition following her silver in the 400m freestyle on day one.

The 22-year-old's gold is Great Britain's third medal in the pool, with Ellen Gandy claiming silver in the 200m butterfly.

Adlington's 8minutes 17.51seconds was too hot for Frii who took silver in 8min 18.20sec. America's Kate Ziegler scooped bronze in 8min 23.36sec.

Double Olympic champion Adlington said: "I don't know what to say. I'm so happy. It's absolutely amazing.

"We've always raced against each other and it has always back and forth but I hope to God it's me next year at the Olympics."

Frii won the title in Rome in 2009 in a race that saw her distraught British rival finish out of the medals.

As expected, this latest race quickly became a private battle between Adlington and her Danish counterpart. The pair went stroke for stroke for almost the entire event, the biggest gap being just the 0.65second lead Friis established with 100m to go.

However, the Briton responded and a final length of 28.91secs saw her overhaul Frii to claim the title Adlington's medal follows her gutsy display last Sunday when she scraped into the 400m freestyle final and took silver.

And having claimed titles at Olympic, world, European and Commonwealth level, she added: "I'm the kind of person that can handle pressure. I've pretty much learned to cope with it. I've had to after the Olympics.

"I want to do well and succeed. I don't put the hard work in and get up early just to come and not make it happen. No one can ever take away what I have achieved, no matter what happens next year.

"I'd love to go to the London Olympics but if I don't make it I can still be so happy with what I've done in my career."

Meanwhile, Britain's Liam Tancock warned his rivals they face an almighty battle to snatch his 50m backstroke crown after he qualified fastest for today's final.

He finished in 24.62secs then displayed typical calm after the race. The 26-year-old said: "I'm pleased with the way I've gone through this week. It's a strong field. Now it's about resting up and keeping your nerve."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/o...-medal-1109334

I don't think anyone questioned her.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    So many people in this thread who are stupid enough to think a negative drug test = no drug taking.

Lance never tested positive, yet he's currently undergoing a load of **** in the usa.

We'll see in years to come whether she was actually clean or not.

Until then, innocent until proved guilty.

It's good to ask questions though. Its not like they hurt. Wiggins got loads during the tour and went off on an expletive ridden rant :rofl:.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MKZebra)
    The person doing that interview clearly isn't protecting their best interests. If they actually were building drugs for athletes, they would be keeping their mouth shut, not boasting about it.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire
    They'd already been arrested AFAIK.

It's actually incredible how naive people are in this thread, actually believing that the drug tests are a guaranteed way to catch people who dope.

I'll just post this again: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/an...oping-1927491/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    some interesting opinions on here that I've read. but I will not jump to a full conclusion yet until results are shown since you guys are right, innocent until proven guilty. :blushing:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    That guy Wiggins must be a drug cheat, winning so conclusively and with such big margins. I bet they will find out in 10 years' time what he was taking.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't she beat her PB by 5 seconds? That's more than enough evidence.

As for innocent until proven guilty. We have to follow that because it wouldn't be right to call people without real evidence. But it's stupid because LOADS of people have been caught YEARS LATER. So just because she passed the current tests, that doesn't mean anything either.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooEasy123)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't she beat her PB by 5 seconds? That's more than enough evidence.

As for innocent until proven guilty. We have to follow that because it wouldn't be right to call people without real evidence. But it's stupid because LOADS of people have been caught YEARS LATER. So just because she passed the current tests, that doesn't mean anything either.
    Her PB was set in 2010 when she was only 14, she has grown and gotten good after training in Australia.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a farce how the press has questioned her over the last few days. She did beat Lochte's time in a small section of the race, but so did Adlington, and so many other male or female swimmers.

It's not a miracle, at that point, Lochte was usually tired and cruising a bit, furthermore he had a good lead over the rest.

I think it's just bias against China, which is a bit sad to see from us, as we are the hosts. If the IOC confirmed the drug tests were negative, then we should leave it at that. I'm sure they will retest the samples for the next few years, and if it is found to be positive, Ye Shiwen will lose her career.

The news firms calling her win "disturbing" is just plain disrespectful. There was a few other teenage "prodigy" swimmers competing. Such as Ruta Meilutyte and Missy Franklin. They destroyed their competition as well, but apparently didn't dope because they wasn't Chinese.

We need to stop our double standards, it's making us look bad. If someone wins a gold medal in the Olympics, and they test negative, then that should be it. End of story for the rest of the olympics.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Brilliance until proven guilty.

Otherwise you would start having to suspect any athlete that breaks world records wouldn't you? Surely there is more to Yi Shiwen but is anyone going to go and say that 15 year old Katie Ledecky is on drugs given her rather amazing race where for 15 lengths of the 16 she was well ahead of the WR and then fell just short on the final one? Probably not so why suggest that it is excellent in one athlete and must be doping in another?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I still find these threads hilarious.

If you look at the splits, Ryan Lochte took his foot off the gas for the last 50m, going from world record beating pace to 2 seconds behind it in the last 50m. Yi Shiwen on the other hand, saved some in the tank and went all out in the last 50m. She also did this with her other race, where the competition was much tighter.

Her PB was set in 2010, when she was 14. I find it amazing that the concept of adolescence escapes people who throw out the PB argument. Ian Thorp said he'd beaten his PB by a similar number when he was 15. There was that Lithuanian girl who actually broke a world record. Michael Phelps did the same things when he was 15 too.

Innocent until proven guilty. She may well have doped, but if she did dope, the PEDs she is taking aren't good enough to help her smash WRs (which she was 1 second behind in the suspect race).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    In regards to her beating her personal best by 5 seconds she is only 16 years old, meaning she's still growing and in swimming height plays a HUGE part in swimming. And I would have thought that after all the grief Phelps got when he was being accused of using PED's, the Americans wouldn't be so fast to accuse her of cheating.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern1456)
    Her PB was set in 2010 when she was only 14, she has grown and gotten good after training in Australia.
    But has she raced this year (before the olympic related heats and trials)? And if so, how come she still didn't beat her PB.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    But has she raced this year (before the olympic related heats and trials)? And if so, how come she still didn't beat her PB.
    Some athletes hold back at the trials, doing enough to win the race and go through to the next round/ finals they're usually capable of more..Look at Ledecky of America Womens 800m yesterday beating Addlington she beat her PB by over 20 seconds after just 1 year.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever heard of the concept of sandbagging?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I doubt she was cheating in that game. You see, she is just only 16 years old. If she is being coached well and trained well, i dont see any point where she can lose to the world record holder. If she was really cheated in the game, i bet the olympic guys would have taken action against her. Most probably her Kechara growth Chakras which helped her. Didn't you guys notice China has come up with plenty of athletes where are quite strong and capable of winning a gold medal back?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 4, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.