Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Olympic Swimming is a joke. Fact.

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slick Fosbury)
    Says who?

I'm not denying a heavy boxer is better. That much is clear. But you can apply the same thing to the marathon. Everyone who does well in the marathon will be under say 60kg, does that mean we should have an over 100kg marathon class?
    I highly doubt somebody that runs marathons at Olympic level could ever be over 100kg.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    So does running backwards?

Also front crawl/butterfly use very similar muscle groups.
    No one wants to watch running backwards though. It would also probably be dangerous.

In Butterfly, there is far more emphasis on back. So, it is not similar to freestyle at all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    I highly doubt somebody that runs marathons at Olympic level could ever be over 100kg.
    Precisely. Just like I highly doubt someone in the featherweight class could compete with olympic heavy weights.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Precisely. Just like I highly doubt someone in the featherweight class could compete with olympic heavy weights.
    My point was that it's incredibly difficult to be a marathon runner and weigh over 100kg (not even sure if it's possible) By nature, the sport will make you light. The same does not apply to boxing, so weight classes make sense in order to have skilful boxers and not just big boxers.

I also don't think you appreciate the different technique involved in each swimming stroke, and are going by the logic 'it's all swimming so there shouldn't be so much'. Let's not forget that what Phelps did was unbelievable and most people will get one gold in one particular race or stroke.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    No one wants to watch running backwards though. It would also probably be dangerous.

In Butterfly, there is far more emphasis on back. So, it is not similar to freestyle at all.
    Running backwards has far more emphasis on quads. Skipping far more on calves. 1 legged far more on the leg in question.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Different distances is fair, I mean they do that in swimming too and I'm not bothered. Different distances tax different energy systems differently so it makes sense that

No male has won more than 2 track medals at one olympic games since it became more professional. However with swimming some athletes win upwards of 5 golds? And you're telling me that's fair?

I can run backwards, I can run forwards. I can swim front crawl (freestyle), I can swim back stroke. Why does it make sense there is a backstroke event but no backwards running?

By the way, it's cute you've studied a bit of logic or whatever little gem you've picked up these clever words. But you're not using the correctly. Please go back to the books.

There is no logical reason why boxing shouldn't be open weight. And if there was the same would surely apply to sprinting where a man weighing 50kg would have no chance against Bolt and co.
    Why is it unfair? If there are different disciplines in a sport then all an athlete can do is train for those disciplines and attempt to win as many as possible. Each sport has a certain format. Swimming has four accepted strokes that each require different technical proficiencies. Hence, the swimmers can compete in all of these four strokes if they have the requisite quality in each disciplines. Now, whether you believe that having four different strokes is sensible is a completely subjective issue and calling Olympic swimming a 'joke' based on that subjective opinion isn't really valid. As I said before, very few athletes have excelled in all four to the level that Phelps has, so calling him 'average world class' seems rather odd to me.

The practice of backwards running has actually become more common recently - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backward_running - but it hasn't taken off, probably because there seems something inherently illogical about running backwards that isn't evident in swimming backwards. Again, that may seem incongruous but the matter of whether having the different events is logical is a totally different matter from whether the achievements of an athlete in winning those events are less valuable.

Explain to me how those terms were used incorrectly?

I don't know very much about boxing but surely an athlete that was taller and heavier would not only have a longer reach but also have a greater amount of power? As it is, that is probably one of the reasons why one sees very few shorter sprinters - because competing against taller athletes is more difficult.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    You have no idea what you're talking about. The four strokes and im are all technically very different and require different amounts of strength stamina etc. in addition transitioning from a 100 to 200/ 200 to 400 is again very difficult. Phelps is so good because he has triumphed at 100,200 and 400 in almost all strokes and no one can match him (look at lochte, touted as phelps equal yet unable to achieve the same amount. What phelps did is phenomenal and it will be years before it is equalled. I don't speak about many sports because I don't know much about them. If your only experience of swimming is the Olympics, perhaps you should do the same
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    No but the 100m and 200m double means less than El G's 1500m and 5000m double.

Lets see if you can work out why.
    Because that's your opinion maybe?

In my view Thorpe making bronze in the 100 free at the same time as being the 800 world record holder is God like. You probably disagree, quelle surprise.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The main difference though is that boxing is a skill sport. You aim to land as many clean punches as you can. It would be unfair if a more skilful and agile boxer is beaten just due to greater strength and reach of a heavier boxer.

Marathons are a poor comparison because it is an endurance sport. The sole aim is to run the distance as fast as possible. The only skill involved is race tactics which is not a physical advantage but something that anyone can pick up. Thus it makes sense if it is an open competition - the people who run the fastest times compete.

I concede that weightlifting is a bit of a grey area. Yet it is about both strength and technique. I also assume that they want the sport to be open to more people who want to get involved and still have a chance of success.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adsyrah)
    Logic fail.

Track athletes DO have events where they compete in different disciplines at the same time - triathlon and modern pentathlon.
    Knowledge fail. The triathlon is a completely separate sport from athletics, not just a different event within the same sport. The same applies to the modern pentathlon - another separate sport. They are as separated from track and field athletics as table tennis is from archery or equestrianism is from sailing.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    So how does that make it unfair for there to be different weight categories?

You wouldn't pitch a NASCAR against an F1 car...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think team sports like football , hockey , basketball etc. should present the winning team with more than just one gold medal.....
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Unique Bloke)
    I think team sports like football , hockey , basketball etc. should present the winning team with more than just one gold medal.....
    Because that'll be another load of medals. That's not enough though, not only is it an individual sport they also do team sports since that will be another 4 medals per team.
    You do both know that's not how the relay/team medals work, right? Yes each member gets a medal, but it only counts as 1 medal win in the table.
    Whoever wins the football tournament doesn't get 14 medals added to the table, they get 1.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think they should keep it how it is, but they shouldnt allow the swimmers to take part in so many events! I think you should be able to pick 2 or 3 to take part in, not like all of them as Phelps does. Then we would have a more varied group of winners because lets be honest, the Americans kind of dominate swimming but thats mainly because of the fact that their athletes take part in loads of the events.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parente)
    I think they should keep it how it is, but they shouldnt allow the swimmers to take part in so many events! I think you should be able to pick 2 or 3 to take part in, not like all of them as Phelps does. Then we would have a more varied group of winners because lets be honest, the Americans kind of dominate swimming but thats mainly because of the fact that their athletes take part in loads of the events.
    But normally swimmers only compete in 2/3 events. Name me another swimmer apart from Phelps and Lochte who are doing more than 3/4 individual events. That's why Phelps is so phenomenal.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    An average world class athelete. If someone called me an average world class athelete id be damn chuffed

(Original post by JaggySnake95)
    average worldclass?:lol:
    It's not a criticism for someone who hasn't got any medals, but for someone who has the record for most golds at any one Olympics it is, and it's a fair one. There was a documentary on the BBC pointing out that his strength is the underwater dolphin kick which happens at the start and each turnaround for every event so he's not really being tested only on that specific stroke. He does a less cheeky version of what I used to do when my swimming instructor wanted us to do butterfly - I'd swim as much of the length underwater breaststroke as possible.
    (Original post by notnek)
    I started a similar thread yesterday and I agree that there are too many swimming events (34) and the sports below that (cycling/gymnastics/wrestling) have only 18 events, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Swimming shouldn't have more events that running since we're humans not fish.

Should there really be medley events in the swimming? This just seems like a way to increase the number of swimming golds available for the sake of it, since most medley swimmers compete in other races.
    I don't think it's right, but I suppose it's easiest to pack in more events there than elsewhere, and more events in itself can't be a bad thing. Swimmers do need time to recover, but they don't tend to be at their maximum energy output (like 100m sprinting) or be swimming so long they risk passing out (like a marathon, but you can understand why passing out in a pool is worse).
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parente)
    Why? Surely it's harder to compete that well in so many events? If someone is capable of it, let them try. There's a reason why there's not been many swimmers of a Spitz/Phelps level - it's chuffing impossible to get that good.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree there's too many swimming events.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Because that's your opinion maybe?

In my view Thorpe making bronze in the 100 free at the same time as being the 800 world record holder is God like. You probably disagree, quelle surprise.
    That is impressive from Thorpe, but Phelps only does 100 and 200 metre events, doesn't he?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    That is impressive from Thorpe, but Phelps only does 100 and 200 metre events, doesn't he?
    At Beijing he won Golds in 1s, 2s and 4.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 9, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.