Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Laptop battery "needs replacing"

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got a message pop up from windows 7 saying I should consider replacing my battery. I've only had my laptop for 2 years and I don't know why it's dying, I think it may be because I occasionally use it on my lap causing it to overheat. Is there anyway I can save it and restore it back to normal or is it dead now?
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    Batteries over time lose their ability to hold charge. This is typical of pretty much all rechargeable batteries. You have two choices really.

1) Carry on regardless - you'll have ****e battery life and annoying popups, but if you're always near a power source it'll be no problem.
    2) Buy a new battery
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Batteries over time lose their ability to hold charge. This is typical of pretty much all rechargeable batteries. You have two choices really.

1) Carry on regardless - you'll have ****e battery life and annoying popups, but if you're always near a power source it'll be no problem.
    2) Buy a new battery
    's about it, yeah. My battery life is literally about 2 minutes, after which it just turns off. So I just keep it plugged in 24/7 (not much of a laptop anymore )
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileyGurl13)
    I've got a message pop up from windows 7 saying I should consider replacing my battery. I've only had my laptop for 2 years and I don't know why it's dying, I think it may be because I occasionally use it on my lap causing it to overheat. Is there anyway I can save it and restore it back to normal or is it dead now?
    Battery life degrades over time, they have a certain limit to how many times you charge it.....so either keep going and using it even with the plug in, or eventually get a new laptop battery.
    That's why you are supposed to take the charger out the moment it gets to 100% charge.

Do expect the battery prices to vary and make sure it comes with some sort of warranty.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mine too, it's a 2 year old dell, even though my dad and brother have had theirs for 5-6 years and haven't needed to replace the batteries. It's going to PC world this evening though as it also keeps failing to start up.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone9)
    Mine too, it's a 2 year old dell, even though my dad and brother have had theirs for 5-6 years and haven't needed to replace the batteries. It's going to PC world this evening though as it also keeps failing to start up.
    don't get ripped off
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    My battery needs replacing too as mine never holds charge anymore.

Could someone recommend me good places to buy from? I've seen some cheap ones online but I obviously don't want to get ripped off with a dodgy or fake product. Getting a genuine one from HP will cost me just over a hundred quid for a battery (with three year warrenty) but if I can, i'd much rather pay less! Help?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Scout.)
    My battery needs replacing too as mine never holds charge anymore.

Could someone recommend me good places to buy from? I've seen some cheap ones online but I obviously don't want to get ripped off with a dodgy or fake product. Getting a genuine one from HP will cost me just over a hundred quid for a battery (with three year warrenty) but if I can, i'd much rather pay less! Help?
    Theres really not many genuine battery suppliers other than the manufacturers. The other obvoius place is to go to eBay but 90% of the choices will be 3rd party batteries. I recently bought 3rd party one for my dad's HP 6735s, seems to run fine tbh - just careful on the seller's reputation/see how many of that battery has been bought by others.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 31, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.