Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else been dissapointed by the medals (or lack of) won so far by Great Britain?

Announcements Posted on
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    No medals in badminton for GB - that's confirmed now; they didn't get past the group stages.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nice.Guy)
    we're 20th in the medals table :cry2:

and north korea's 4th??!! :eek:
    We're actually 21st... The North Koreans are under so much pressure by their government, I'm not surprised. Democratic Peoples republic of Korea - Must be the most ironic name of a country in the world.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle)
    Me too, I'm pretty hopeful for the mens time trials tomorrow. Not too sure about the womens but I think we've got an excellent chance on the rowing tomorrow to get our first golds.
    I would be incredibly surprised if by the end of tomorrow we still don't have a gold medal. Both Wiggins and Froome look decent for medals, I know they have both done a lot of cycling over the past few weeks, but both (Wiggins especially) looked incredible at the ITT's at the TdF. Additionally, I don't think that either Martin or Cancellara are fully fit, giving them another boost.

The women's pair also look good in the rowing, and I don't think you can rule out the men's 8 either.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutty_Psychologist)
    Kazakhstan have two gold for god's sake lol
    Well it is the greatest country in the world...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle)
    We're actually 21st... The North Koreans are under so much pressure by their government, I'm not surprised. Democratic Peoples republic of Korea - Must be the most ironic name of a country in the world.
    Isn't too much pressure supposed to make you perform less well?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutty_Psychologist)
    Kazakhstan have two gold for god's sake lol
    3 now haha
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's early days and the events that Team GB are strong in with a good chance of getting medals are still to come - Cycling, Rowing, Swimming events .. I'm still confident Team GB will pick up
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    People are getting all butthurt about Team GB not winning golds/medals but quite frankly many of them don't deserve it as they haven't put nearly as much work in as some of the other olympic athletes. We already know that China have worked a million times harder on their diving.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've been watching mainly the Judo and so far 7/8 of our athletes have lost in their first fight, with the other getting knocked out shortly. We weren't expected to do great, but it's very disappointing to watch everybody going out before 10am.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmudz_009)
    Isn't too much pressure supposed to make you perform less well?
    Depends what the pressure is i guess.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    team gb are turning out to be sub standard
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the important thing with Tom Daley is that I don't think he's reached his peak yet. It's his second Olympics and he's only 18, plus he's had a hell of a year and I think they did really well; but I think in four year's time he'll be even better.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dinrah04)
    3 now haha

:facepalm:

It's just getting embarrassing
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone genuinely cares.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A level Az)
    People are getting all butthurt about Team GB not winning golds/medals but quite frankly many of them don't deserve it as they haven't put nearly as much work in as some of the other olympic athletes. We already know that China have worked a million times harder on their diving.
    How on earth would you know how much work the athletes put in? Clearly you're one of the people who have jumped on the 'China force ridiculous workloads out of their athletes' bandwagon'.

In response to the thread: yes, I am rather disappointed that we haven't got any golds but I do believe a part of that is due to me being silly enough to jump on the media bandwagon regarding GB's medal hopes. From what I now understand, the synchronized diving was always an outside shot for us, as was the eventing individual events. Apparently it's also the case that Cavendish was never the favorite for the road race that he was made out to be.

It's also worth remembering that rowing and cycling will yield a substantial number of medals for us (hopefully), and none of those events are in the finals yet. We also stand good chances of medals in sailing, tennis, athletics and possibly both football events.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodie)
    ITT that people who watch a particular sport once every four years are massively getting on the media bandwagon and are expecting unrealistic performances. Apart from the men's road race nothing so far has gone terribly. There's been a fair few PBs and the golds will come.

Everyone just chill out.
    ITT people*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The only person who you could ague SHOULD have won a medal is Mark Cavendish in the Road Cycling. The other medals have come via athletes who really weren't expected to do well in those disciplines. Rebecca Adlington for example is an Olympic champion so on the face of it a Bronze looks disappointing but it was in her least favoured event so in fact it was quite an acheivment.

jut because we had more medals after 3 days in China was probably as much down to the schedule of events as much as it is anything else.

Things will pick up when the cycling starts off in the Velodrome and the track and field begins.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some people are under the impression that athletes 'do it for their country'. This is a farce, they do it for themselves/their families. No-one else.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynch101)
    Some people are under the impression that athletes 'do it for their country'. This is a farce, they do it for themselves/their families. No-one else.
    True!
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RtGOAT)
    No. I don't care, I'm a sports fan not a small minded nationalist.
    Wow. Bet you are a pleasure to have in class.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 21, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.