Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else been dissapointed by the medals (or lack of) won so far by Great Britain?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously I'd love to see us at the top of the medal board, but still. The athletes are trying their best and I guess it's hard as a spectator to appreciate how hard the events are and how amazing it is for the athletes to even get a chance to perform at the olmpics. It was a shame about the men's road race, but heh that's life. Fingers crossed for cycling and rowing!

It's not over yet, so go team GB!!!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    . Apparently it's also the case that Cavendish was never the favorite for the road race that he was made out to be.
    I agree with your point, but it was not the case in the road race.
    Cav was most definitely the favorite, which is partly why he lost!

There has been to much emphasis on sports Britain hasn't got much chance in, but the medals will come thick and fast soon enough.

I do think the entire team has been over hyped, but I think a finish out of the top 5 is very unlikely.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought having a home games is always an advantage? Bloody embarrassment to their country. Everyone's hopes and dreams have been shattered by the let down of our athletes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why is everybody griping on about us not having won everything already? There were probably a dozen or so realistic gold medal chances and we've had one of those finals (men's road race). No, we didn't win that, mainly because virtually the whole field was riding against us. We've still got all of the other cycling, athletics, rowing and sailing finals with realistic chances to come. We have not failed yet, get off the athletes' backs.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I'm a bit irked we didn't get the gold in the eventing.
    I agree our dressage is still letting us down though we could still have won gold in zara had got clear in the time
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodAtum)
    I thought having a home games is always an advantage? Bloody embarrassment to their country. Everyone's hopes and dreams have been shattered by the let down of our athletes.
    I want to hear you say that in a week's time when we've got more medals. Or perhaps you'd like to tell the mens' gymnasts how much they've let everybody down?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodAtum)
    I don't really see why it should be an advantage? You don't suddenly become a better talent just because you're in your home country. The other athletes are just better than ours atm.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynch101)
    Some people are under the impression that athletes 'do it for their country'. This is a farce, they do it for themselves/their families. No-one else.
    I disagree
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I'm a bit irked we didn't get the gold in the eventing.
    My thoughts exactly. :hmmm:

<3 x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I said it before its embarrassing to the country having a home Olympics and not doing anything. It just shows what we've been reduced to except it highlights the fact even more.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle)
    We're actually 21st... .
    :facepalm: we were 20th when i posted. . . :facepalm:
    what did you expect of me - to keep updating the post every time the rankings changed?? :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stop crying people. The wait for gold will be over tomorrow. Wiggins is going to destroy in the time trial.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nice.Guy)
    :facepalm: we were 20th when i posted. . . :facepalm:
    what did you expect of me - to keep updating the post every time the rankings changed?? :rolleyes:
    Haha I know, it's the most depressing thing. It seems every time we gain a medal, we actually go down the ranking.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm disappointed in the defeatist attitude many of us Brits seem to have. The amount of times I've heard the commentators say something like "We won't beat this team" or "we might scrape Bronze". Then we wonder why our athletes don't do as well. Maybe if we had a bit more faith in them it might spur them on a bit more.

As for those of you saying they've let us down. Are you the best in the world at what you do? No? Well then I guess you're a let down to the country too.:rolleyes:

Ahh well we have cycling and rowing finals tomorrow. Both of which we have fantastic teams for.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right, all of you miserable sods thinking we're going to win nothing: just watch Michael Jamieson in the mens' 200M breaststroke. Then tell me our athletes aren't trying.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingsholmmad)
    Right, all of you miserable sods thinking we're going to win nothing: just watch Michael Jamieson in the mens' 200M breaststroke. Then tell me our athletes aren't trying.
    Just watched that. Amazing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Both women lost in tennis today I think we also lost the basketball and water polo.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's because of how much the media have psyched it all up about team GB doing so well! So the competitors have so much pressure put on them!
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its day 4, be patient. Possibly tomorrow we shall get a gold, if not then by the weekend.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What are Team GB usually good at (lol by that I obv mean compared to the other teams!)? Which events have we gained Gold medals in in the last few olympics?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 21, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.