Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you need much cardio to gain muscle?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ian80)
    but with missing out breakfast (I know, I know, bad)
    I'd say missing breakfast is bad for anyone, let alone somebody who wants to put on muscle mass. Make sure you're eating something substantial and healthy in the morning pal, otherwise you'll just end up snacking on stuff later in the day that will do nothing for your goals.

I have a similar body to you I think, I'm slightly smaller and slightly lighter, so basically I'm a skinny runt. Eating is the biggest challenge for me and I too will be trying to count calories and see how far off I am. Good luck with it all!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol at some posters in this thread. You CAN do cardio and build muscle at the same time, just do weights sessions alongside your cardio ones and make sure you eat enough. Swimmers and rowers are normally pretty stacked with muscle, and 70-80% of their training is cardio. Of course JUST doing cardio isn't going to do much without some significant resistance training alongside it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    . Swimmers are normally pretty stacked with muscle
    wat??
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny.)
    wat??
    I think he was raising the point that swimmers (those in the Olympics particularly) do a huge amount of cardio but can still maintain a muscular physique. I know they aren't ridiculous but some give the impression that no cardio is possible if you want to build mass.

I think that's what he was getting at anyway, don't want to speak for him.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    I think he was raising the point that swimmers (those in the Olympics particularly) do a huge amount of cardio but can still maintain a muscular physique. I know they aren't ridiculous but some give the impression that no cardio is possible if you want to build mass.

I think that's what he was getting at anyway, don't want to speak for him.
    I know what he was getting at, most swimmers aren't "stacked with muscle" though. The sprinters can have a decent amount but the others aren't, because they don't need it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny.)
    I know what he was getting at, most swimmers aren't "stacked with muscle" though. The sprinters can have a decent amount but the others aren't, because they don't need it.
    Lol. Ok, they have reasonably muscular physiques. Would that please you more, o arbiter of the male physique? My point still stands. You can still build muscle whilst doing cardio as part of your routine.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Ok, they have reasonably muscular physiques. Would that please you more, o arbiter of the male physique? My point still stands. You can still build muscle whilst doing cardio as part of your routine.
    He weighs 127lb for Gods sake. He should not be doing cardio.

Op, sign up for my fitness pal, put in everything for a few days then link it here.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)

Op, sign up for my fitness pal, put in everything for a few days then link it here.
    Oh I like this site, just put everything in for today. Just had dinner, I'm on about 2000 calories. Although I'm about to go out so that'll be topped up with quite a few liquid calories and probs a mcdo
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

Someone negged u lol

I disagree. Doing cardio is always good because cardiovascular health is mightily important. Mix it up with weights. The op's main problem is not eating enough.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The only cardio where you'd gain muscle is in sledge pulling and tyre flipping.

• 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Someone negged u lol

I disagree. Doing cardio is always good because cardiovascular health is mightily important. Mix it up with weights. The op's main problem is not eating enough.
    I assume he's early 20s at most and weighs in at 127lb, his cv system is fine. He can get fit when he's stronger than a 10 year old girl.

Considering he's struggling to get in a normal amount of kcals if he tries to do cardio and weights (complete with ludicrous kcal requirements) he's going to flop.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ian80)
    Oh I like this site, just put everything in for today. Just had dinner, I'm on about 2000 calories. Although I'm about to go out so that'll be topped up with quite a few liquid calories and probs a mcdo
    Make sure you're getting in 130-150g+ protein as well. Liquid kcals are usually **** apart from milk so I don't even add them on mine.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say so. I have quite a bit of muscle mass from doing basic home exercises, though I have started doing a fair amount of walking recently to get rid of what's left of my spare tyre.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I never disputed your point, I know it can be done, I'm doing it. Just you said swimmers are "stacked with muscle" and, well, they're not
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I assume he's early 20s at most and weighs in at 127lb, his cv system is fine. He can get fit when he's stronger than a 10 year old girl.

Considering he's struggling to get in a normal amount of kcals if he tries to do cardio and weights (complete with ludicrous kcal requirements) he's going to flop.
    Well, depends what your aims are. I think compared to the average population, i'm sure his CV system is fine but I'd say most people in the gym that do no/little cardio actually have a poor CV system. If you struggle to run a couple of miles at a decent pace, then you're simply unfit. Looking good aesthetically just isn't enough imo, but I guess it depends on your aims.
    My gym buddy actually lifts pretty much the same as me but his cardiovascular system is piss poor because he only does it once a week-- we run our local park and he's ready to pass out just after the 1 mile mark. Those fancy muscles are just for show-- better to have overall good health and this is the idea of moderation in everything.

But back to the topic. No, cardio won't necessarily help you build muscle mass but I do find it helps massively with recovery speeds (or at least that's my theory).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 4, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.