The Student Room Group

hings to do on a double date in Derby city??

Hi, I am a prospective student at the university of derby and am hoping to start in September 2012 :smile: The reason i ask this question is because recently i went on a double date with my boyfriend (of 2 years and 8 months) and our mutual friends (who have been dating for probably about 1-2 years). We all used to live in the same small town, but recently (i will call her Amy) moved away to live with her dad. She didn't move far about 30 minute car journey, to a much bigger town.
Anyway Amy and her boyfriend invited us over there for the day with them, and we had a really great time. We went on a lake and hired a rowing boat out, went to the park, did some shopping and just chilled and had a generally nice time.
So, me and my partner (who is also going to be hopefully starting derby in September) our hoping to invite the other couple over to our house (which we plan on renting out) to have a nice weekend with them as they wont be going to university and will be staying where they are.

I want them to have a really nice time like we did with them, so does anyone have any ideas of things that we might be able to do, places we can take them ect. (Baring in mind it will be about mid-end of September so will probably be cold, and we also don't have much money).

Sorry this is so long but any help would be appreciated, thank you :smile:
Orgy
^^^beat me to it
Reply 3
Original post by scott202
Orgy

Well, i would but that's already a regular occurrence, i was hoping to do something a little bit different!
^^is this what you wanted to hear?
All I can imagine a childish guy (as i imagine you are) giggling at the computer screen at the fact of sex. Are you really that immature?
The people that joke about sex are normally those that don't (or more often than not CAN'T get laid)... maybe you should try it sometime, it might help you grow up??
Reply 4
I've got no clue about what there is near your place since I don't know that part of England at all, but I suppose you could do what they did to you if you don't have any other ideas, like take them out shopping or even come down to London for the weekend - there's a hell of a lot to do here
Reply 5
Original post by Krish4791
I've got no clue about what there is near your place since I don't know that part of England at all, but I suppose you could do what they did to you if you don't have any other ideas, like take them out shopping or even come down to London for the weekend - there's a hell of a lot to do here

It would be nice to go to London, but we were hoping to show them our new home, it was almost going to be like a home warming party (without the gifts :L). And also London is expensive, all in all we only want to be spending as little as possible, so probably £20-£60 for the weekend.
Reply 6
Ah, I see - well in that case a house party seems like the best idea (home warming party, same thing) with a bit of extra flair, like a themed party (love/ London 2012/ whatever you want) and then maybe follow it up with walks in the park (if there is one?) and light shopping. I'm really sorry but I'm afraid that's all I can really come up with for you since I don't know the area - it's unfortunate you don't have a bit more money, since a weekend either by the coast or in London would be ideal - in the former, you get peace and serenity, or in the latter you can experience the thrill of activity and life in a mega-city + get to visit amazing places and do all sorts of stuff.
Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do and enjoy yourselves!

P.S. could you please tell me what Uni's actually like when you go there? I'm also going to uni soon and keep getting told that it's some sort of 'promised land' full of studying, sex, alcohol
Reply 7

P.S. could you please tell me what Uni's actually like when you go there? I'm also going to uni soon and keep getting told that it's some sort of 'promised land' full of studying, sex, alcohol

Yes, i can defiantly let you know how it is :smile: but i suppose its different for everyone? I think it can depend on lots of different factors like what uni you go to, what you want to study and your personality.

My sister, for example, went to sheff hallam to study psychology. She isn't a drinker, and is very sensible. So, saying that she wouldn't have got the impression that its all about drinking and sex- she never did any of that stuff. But she also didn't spend all of her time studying either, i spent weekends with her, and she told me she only went to uni for about 3 days per week (not including personal study). We had lots of time to do fun things and get to know the city :smile: She really enjoyed her uni experience, but i'm sure others on her course may have felt differently?

I plan on starting uni on tue 11th sep 2012, (so not long now :s-smilie: ) so feel free to private message me around then to remind me :smile:
oh, and i have my university timetable through already so i can send you that if you'd like, it might give you an idea of what uni is actually like (study wise)? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by mizzmegg
Yes, i can defiantly let you know how it is :smile: but i suppose its different for everyone? I think it can depend on lots of different factors like what uni you go to, what you want to study and your personality.

My sister, for example, went to sheff hallam to study psychology. She isn't a drinker, and is very sensible. So, saying that she wouldn't have got the impression that its all about drinking and sex- she never did any of that stuff. But she also didn't spend all of her time studying either, i spent weekends with her, and she told me she only went to uni for about 3 days per week (not including personal study). We had lots of time to do fun things and get to know the city :smile: She really enjoyed her uni experience, but i'm sure others on her course may have felt differently?

I plan on starting uni on tue 11th sep 2012, (so not long now :s-smilie: ) so feel free to private message me around then to remind me :smile:
oh, and i have my university timetable through already so i can send you that if you'd like, it might give you an idea of what uni is actually like (study wise)? :smile:

Sure - thanks very much! Think I've got my Cambridge interview at the beginning of December (which i'm a little apprehensive about). I'll probably do economics and love most sports in general so it would be really good to see what it's like in that sense.
Reply 9
Sure - thanks very much! Think I've got my Cambridge interview at the beginning of December (which i'm a little apprehensive about). I'll probably do economics and love most sports in general so it would be really good to see what it's like in that sense.

Well good luck with that :smile: I hope it all goes to plan for you :smile: I sort of know someone (well its a friend of my dads son, who i have only met like once :L ) who goes there to do English. From what he has said there is a big focus on extra curricular activities. The staff encourage everyone to take part in some thing, he was editor of the school paper or something :confused: So yeah, if you are looking forward to that aspect of uni Cambridge should be good for you :smile:
Reply 10
Well good luck with that :smile: I hope it all goes to plan for you :smile: I sort of know someone (well its a friend of my dads son, who i have only met like once :L ) who goes there to do English. From what he has said there is a big focus on extra curricular activities. The staff encourage everyone to take part in some thing, he was editor of the school paper or something :confused: So yeah, if you are looking forward to that aspect of uni Cambridge should be good for you :smile:

Thanks for the advice - my PS is going to be submitted at the end of this month, and seeing as I'm in my final year at school, there's nothing else I can do which can add to what's already written, but at least I can now focus on what I need to say in the interview (assuming I get to that stage :tongue:)! Once again, good luck with uni - I'll be joining the year after you so hopefully not too long to go anyway!:biggrin:
Reply 11
Cinema? There's a cinema in the westfield shopping centre, you could shop for a bit and see a film, then grab a meal afterwards at somewhere like Pizza Express or Nando's which is right near the cinema, or head back into the food court for TGI Friday's :smile:

Swimming or lazer tag in the city too if you like being a bit more active :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Alxndra
Swimming or lazer tag in the city too if you like being a bit more active :smile:

Thanks for the reply that sounds great :smile: Do you have any idea how much it would cost to do that?
And also what kind of swimming pool is it? I'm not particularly keen on the boring pools where you just swim lanes :/ So is it one with water slides etc?
Reply 13
Laser tag: http://megazone-derby.co.uk/prices.html

Swimming: http://derby.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/sports-clubs-and-centres/facilities/queens-leisure-centre/

Unfortunately it doesn't have slides and stuff but they have times for casual swimming where you'll be able to just mess about rather than swimming lanes :smile: AFAIK the nearest ones are in Nottingham, such as Bramcote swimming baths :tongue:
Well, i would but that's already a regular occurrence, i was hoping to do something a little bit different!
^^is this what you wanted to hear?
All I can imagine a childish guy (as i imagine you are) giggling at the computer screen at the fact of sex. Are you really that immature?
The people that joke about sex are normally those that don't (or more often than not CAN'T get laid)... maybe you should try it sometime, it might help you grow up??

Sense of humour fail :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending