The Student Room Group

Is it likely to be a problem socially if I don't drink at university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Not at all - as long as you still get out and meet people, you'll be fine! Also, you can make some extra cash doing lifts as the designated driver :rolleyes:
Reply 81
py0alb, your argument is completely floored. I wish you would have not joined this thread as all I wanted was an answer. You can not compare sex, friends and good food with alcohol as they are all natural and our bodies encourage them; alcohol artificially stimulates our brains which provokes a response without any benefit to the survival of our species.

In short, there is nothing alcohol can offer me and about a dozen reasons why I avoid it, if you want me to list them then just say but ultimately stay on the thread to answer the question or your answers are rendered redundant. :wink:

Thanks to everyone else; I feel quite a bit more confident now and am glad to know how many people respect it. Glad I started the thread :smile:
Original post by amyrew
i'm so glad i'm not the only person thinking this! unfortunately i'm going to Oxford Brookes, so we can't be non-drinkers together haha. I think my plan is during freshers week and big outings and stuff i'll go out and stick to non-alcoholic drinks so then i get the friendship basis, so then in the future they're more understanding and stuff.

A word of advice - if you're not drinking, DO NOT go to Fuzzy Ducks. Trust me, that place is awful, and alcohol is the only thing that gets you through!

... actually, on second thoughts, don't go to Fuzzy's even if you're drinking.
Original post by Sk18

Thanks to everyone else; I feel quite a bit more confident now and am glad to know how many people respect it. Glad I started the thread :smile:

Im in my 4th year and dont go out clubbing or anything, I drink wine sometimes with meals.

So if your not a big drinker you can still have fun, go to the freshers fair join a society and you'll have a really gr8 time.

Oxford has lots of things to do other than clubs, you'll probably find people like you and hang out with them.

You'll enjoy it.
Reply 84
Original post by Sk18
py0alb, your argument is completely floored. I wish you would have not joined this thread as all I wanted was an answer. You can not compare sex, friends and good food with alcohol as they are all natural and our bodies encourage them; alcohol artificially stimulates our brains which provokes a response without any benefit to the survival of our species.

In short, there is nothing alcohol can offer me and about a dozen reasons why I avoid it, if you want me to list them then just say but ultimately stay on the thread to answer the question or your answers are rendered redundant. :wink:

If you're old enough to be allowed to use the computer unsupervised and still believe in the naturalist fallacy, then Cambridge probably isn't the place for you anyway I'm afraid.
Reply 85
Original post by py0alb
If you're old enough to be allowed to use the computer unsupervised and still believe in the naturalist fallacy, then Cambridge probably isn't the place for you anyway I'm afraid.

You mean to tell me that you don't believe some things are natural and some things are generated by man? That architecture grows out of the ground and cavemen used to excavate pre-made spears or buy them from the store of nature? Or maybe you believe that the world is made and controlled entirely by machines and we use our bodies to supply energy... at least your originality surpasses your intelligence. I believe in no fallacy, however, I believe you are a phallus.

Your comment makes about as much sense as your existence; Cambridge are looking for people who want to learn, test and explore their knowledge to discover new ideas; not to single out people of certain believe who can not pose a valid argument (quite the opposite). I am a man of my own beliefs and if you don't have the common decency to respect them then you don't deserve to partake in any form of argument relating to them!

People are sick of the way you are trying to assert knowledge you do not possess and unless you can put a single valid point across then nobody will respect you or your input. :wink:
Reply 86
Original post by Sk18
You mean to tell me that you don't believe some things are natural and some things are generated by man? That architecture grows out of the ground and cavemen used to excavate pre-made spears or buy them from the store of nature? Or maybe you believe that the world is made and controlled entirely by machines and we use our bodies to supply energy... at least your originality surpasses your intelligence. I believe in no fallacy, however, I believe you are a phallus.

Your comment makes about as much sense as your existence; Cambridge are looking for people who want to learn, test and explore their knowledge to discover new ideas; not to single out people of certain believe who can not pose a valid argument (quite the opposite). I am a man of my own beliefs and if you don't have the common decency to respect them then you don't deserve to partake in any form of argument relating to them!

People are sick of the way you are trying to assert knowledge you do not possess and unless you can put a single valid point across then nobody will respect you or your input. :wink:

Have you heard of the naturalist fallacy? Accidentally repeating it isn't the same thing btw.

try and leave the ad hominems aside, and get on with the debate. Alcohol predates domestication of vegetables and animals: if you don't believe in drinking alcohol because its "artificial", then I hope you only eat seeds and berries.
Reply 87
Original post by py0alb
Have you heard of the naturalist fallacy? Accidentally repeating it isn't the same thing btw.

try and leave the ad hominems aside, and get on with the debate. Alcohol predates domestication of vegetables and animals: if you don't believe in drinking alcohol because its "artificial", then I hope you only eat seeds and berries.

My original point was that your comparisons were incorrect as three were natural and the other wasn't; and it is the way alcohol works that is bad. Your last point also makes no sense, alcohol does predate it but it was originally used in very small volumes as a way of making drinking water safer; it was so week you would find it hard to get tipsy. Domestication is beside the point, humans ate meat and vegetables before they drank alcohol, the fact that they were later domesticated bears no relation; our species did not spend the majority of its existence eating seeds, we hunted animals...
Reply 88
Original post by Sk18
My original point was that your comparisons were incorrect as three were natural and the other wasn't;

Rubbish

and it is the way alcohol works that is bad.

Idiotic

Your last point also makes no sense, alcohol does predate it but it was originally used in very small volumes as a way of making drinking water safer; it was so week you would find it hard to get tipsy. Domestication is beside the point, humans ate meat and vegetables before they drank alcohol, the fact that they were later domesticated bears no relation; our species did not spend the majority of its existence eating seeds, we hunted animals...

Completely inaccurate, in multiple ways.

I believe that is a hat-trick!
Reply 89
Original post by py0alb
Rubbish

Idiotic

Completely inaccurate, in multiple ways.

I believe that is a hat-trick!

Ok then. WHY is it Rubbish? WHY is it Idiotic? WHY is it completely inaccurate in multiple ways?

You have to justify yourself. All you are doing is acting as if you are instantly right in all that you are saying and that everyone will bow down to your assumed knowledge.

I'll be honest, I don't like people like you and unless you actually put a proper argument together nearly everyone in the thread will dislike you.
Reply 90
Original post by Sk18
Ok then. WHY is it Rubbish? WHY is it Idiotic? WHY is it completely inaccurate in multiple ways?

You have to justify yourself. All you are doing is acting as if you are instantly right in all that you are saying and that everyone will bow down to your assumed knowledge.

I'll be honest, I don't like people like you and unless you actually put a proper argument together nearly everyone in the thread will dislike you.

1) is the naturalistic fallacy. What is unnatural about a naturally occuring product exactly? The chemical effect on the brain is extremely similar to the effect of sexual intercourse.
2) is just meaningless gibberish. What is bad exactly?
3) is completely wrong. Alcohol was used as a drink - for the purposes of getting drunk - long before its antiseptic qualities were known. The main constituent of our diet before the invention of farming were seeds and berries. You probably envisage us hunting dinosaurs :rolleyes:
In response to the OP: It won't be awkward if you don't let it get awkward. Don't apologise for your own decisions and people will respect you. Worked for me though I used to be worried too and preferred skipping social gatherings :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by py0alb
1) is the naturalistic fallacy. What is unnatural about a naturally occuring product exactly? The chemical effect on the brain is extremely similar to the effect of sexual intercourse.
2) is just meaningless gibberish. What is bad exactly?
3) is completely wrong. Alcohol was used as a drink - for the purposes of getting drunk - long before its antiseptic qualities were known. The main constituent of our diet before the invention of farming were seeds and berries. You probably envisage us hunting dinosaurs :rolleyes:

What is unnatural is the way that it stimulates our mind in the same way without offering anything positive towards our species at all; it is an unnatural influence to our minds. Especially in my case, I can not think of a single thing that alcohol could offer me that I want or that I don't already have.

To me the question is what is good. I have no answers I can give to that question.

That dinosaur comment was a poor use of sarcasm... Before we drank there is evidence of weapons that were used for hunting; we did eat seeds and berries, but that is not all. The rest of nature does not drink alcohol but they eat meat, vegetables, fruit, berries etc.
Someone is actually trying to justify alcohol as beneficial?
Reply 94
Original post by Sk18
What is unnatural is the way that it stimulates our mind in the same way without offering anything positive towards our species at all; it is an unnatural influence to our minds. Especially in my case, I can not think of a single thing that alcohol could offer me that I want or that I don't already have.

There is nothing unnatural whatsoever about the way it stimulates our mind. All food and drink items cause a certain mix of chemicals to be released, alcohol is just a more pleasant sensation than many others. I assume you don't drink tea or coffee either? Sex and physical activity also stimulate our mind in a similar manner. I assume you avoid those activities for a similar reason?

To me the question is what is good. I have no answers I can give to that question.

Lots of things. It tastes incredible, it makes you feel incredible, and it helps people become more confident and outgoing.

That dinosaur comment was a poor use of sarcasm... Before we drank there is evidence of weapons that were used for hunting; we did eat seeds and berries, but that is not all. The rest of nature does not drink alcohol but they eat meat, vegetables, fruit, berries etc.

Actually there are examples of animals that do drink alcohol, but that is irrelevent. The rest of nature do not use fire or the wheel either or fly in planes, but that is no reason not to use the fantastic technology we have invented to make our lives better, alcohol being one of the absolute best of those inventions.
It's nice reading some of the comments on here and realizing I'm not alone. I don't drink and often get judged for it. I'm quite sure though when I do go to University in September I'll find people like myself who like to socialize but don't go out to specifically get drunk! I find it's always funnier being the sober one anyway and witnessing the state of everyone else :smile:
You will be surprised how many people will be in the same boat as you.
Reply 97
Original post by py0alb
There is nothing unnatural whatsoever about the way it stimulates our mind. All food and drink items cause a certain mix of chemicals to be released, alcohol is just a more pleasant sensation than many others. I assume you don't drink tea or coffee either? Sex and physical activity also stimulate our mind in a similar manner. I assume you avoid those activities for a similar reason?

Lots of things. It tastes incredible, it makes you feel incredible, and it helps people become more confident and outgoing.

Actually there are examples of animals that do drink alcohol, but that is irrelevent. The rest of nature do not use fire or the wheel either or fly in planes, but that is no reason not to use the fantastic technology we have invented to make our lives better, alcohol being one of the absolute best of those inventions.

The other things stimulate our mind as they are needed for our survival and success as a species; alcohol often releases our mind from rational control which is not good for our species.

The taste and smell of any alcohol I have encountered makes my stomach wrench. I do not need any from of drug to make myself feel incredible as I can do it in other ways. Finally, if you need alcohol to make you more confident and outgoing and can not do so without, I suggest you have failed as a human being as I have never had a problem with this and I don't make myself look stupid in the act of doing so.

In making our lives easier we have allowed many aspects of our instinct and creativity dull; we need to use technology when we are not in the circumstance to do something personally. The rest of nature doesn't need to use it as it wouldn't help them in any way.

Also you are now saying alcohol is a completely naturally occurring substance that we invented; your logic is truly undeniable! :wink:
Reply 98
I think you will enjoy uni so much more as a direct result of not drinking. No blackouts/memory loss/hangovers...these are all things I regret about uni, and why I am teetotal now and happier than ever. As long as you don't criticise others or isolate yourself it shouldn't be an issue - there's no reason you can't have the time of your life!
Reply 99
lol no. I have a Christian friend from Newcastle who chooses not to drink, and he never had any problem. Chill dude :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending