The Student Room Group

Is it likely to be a problem socially if I don't drink at university?

Scroll to see replies

as I imagine many people have pointed out the answer to your question is no. There is a guy in my class who doesn't drink but he still goes out on nights. As long as you're sociable enough it wouldn't matter if you don't drink.
Original post by amyrew
i'm so glad i'm not the only person thinking this! unfortunately i'm going to Oxford Brookes, so we can't be non-drinkers together haha. I think my plan is during freshers week and big outings and stuff i'll go out and stick to non-alcoholic drinks so then i get the friendship basis, so then in the future they're more understanding and stuff.

I'm going to Brookes as well, and for the first couple of months I have to be teetotal for medical reasons (I recently tore my stomach lining). That's pretty much my plan as well- outings and going along with drinkers but then not partaking. After that, though, I might stay teetotal. It's saved me a load of money so far and I do feel better about myself. :smile:
Reply 102
Original post by marky--mark
After that, though, I might stay teetotal. It's saved me a load of money so far and I do feel better about myself. :smile:

I think that's what they call a no-brainer :smile:
I drink a lot less, usually enough to get tipsy (2-3 pints) but that's it. I've never had any aggro but if I did I'd tell there where to go.
Reply 104
Original post by marky--mark
I'm going to Brookes as well, and for the first couple of months I have to be teetotal for medical reasons (I recently tore my stomach lining). That's pretty much my plan as well- outings and going along with drinkers but then not partaking. After that, though, I might stay teetotal. It's saved me a load of money so far and I do feel better about myself. :smile:

wow, that's pretty hardcore, as long as you're alright now? but yay! what are you studying?

and yeah, i think the big benfit is laughing at the friends who end up broke with a massive hangover when you're feeling good and saved money :smile:
Original post by amyrew
wow, that's pretty hardcore, as long as you're alright now? but yay! what are you studying?

and yeah, i think the big benfit is laughing at the friends who end up broke with a massive hangover when you're feeling good and saved money :smile:

Yeah, I'm okay now- bit sore but recovering. Studying biology, how about you?

The only problem I've found with not drinking is that clubbing isn't as much fun all the time, but I'm mostly a pub person anyway so that's cool. And drunk people are pretty funny when you're sober, as long as they're not breaking stuff lol, then in the morning you get to remind them just how much of an idiot they were the Night before. Priceless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending