Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to wake up when you know your dreaming

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a weird question because everyone I have talked to says they can wake up as soon as they know they are dreaming but I have a few reoccurring nightmares and when I have one of these reoccurring nightmares for the entire nightmare I do not know I am dreaming until the end which is the worst part and at the end in my dream I fall to the floor crawl up in a ball and scream my head off because by this point I know its a dream and in the dream in my head I am saying 'this is my reoccurring dream wake up!!, wake up!!!' but I stay in the dream for ages sometimes in my dream I shut my eyes crawl up into a ball and scream knowing full well its a dream and saying to myself wake but and when I open my eyes I'm still in the dream so I try again and when I open my eyes I'm still in the dam dream Its so weird and I hate it. I know people say once you know its a dream you can control it but I never can and the scary things that are happening around me/to me keep happening while I try to wake up. So how do you wake up inside your dream when you know its a dream?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No i'm not wake up.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You write like a female.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    I get nightmares a lot and have this problem too. What I usually do is pick somewhere to hide (in the dream) then concentrate all my energy on forcing my eyes open. You kind of said you do this but don't do it in the dream do it in real life. In the dream your eyes can stay open but you should be concentrating on trying to open them irl which will wake you up. If you have something in your room you can look at, use all your power to open your eyes and look at it -- I have red numbers on my alarm clock so use that. Another thing you could try is moving part of your body, but I find this doesn't work so well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to wake up when you know it's a dream?

Lucid dreams are amazing. You have complete control, change it from a nightmare into something awesome.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been lucid dreaming for years now, and I also suffer from sleep paralysis. If you want to wake up, you have to know you're in a dream - like try to look at your hand or in a mirror, or a clock, clocks are great... If you can master this you won't even need to wake up, just manipulate the dream to something you like.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I lucid dream quite a lot. I can do it from a fairly standard dream, but when I realise I'm dreaming in a nightmare, I sometimes struggle to do it. I panic and instead of taking control, I try to wake up, so I understand where you're coming from. I can normally wake myself fairly easily, though sometimes it is quite hard!

I'd recommend you read up on some techniques for controlling your dreams. Maybe you could change your dream scenery or try to make whatever is scary less frightening. If you really want to just focus on waking up, then Sabertooth has some good advice. When I've struggled to wake up, I have focussed really hard on my body in real life, trying to open my eyes, move my toes (sounds bizarre, but it's a good one if you're in sleep paralysis) or just move any part of my body.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I either rub my head against my shoulder in the dream or try to teleport (teleporting is really cool, because it really works and it's fun) to wake up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of inception
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do guys do that? Control dreams that's awesome ! I wanna be able to fly in my dream
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wish I could Lucid Dream. Only managed it once or twice.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I want to wake myself up from a dream, I just picture a cliff and jump off it, my legs then kick (I think it's because of the motion I imagine myself in when I'm falling in the dream :K:) and I wake up. It's really odd, but it ALWAYS works.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tr to stay calm when lucid dreaming, they can be wonderful experiences if ou manage to stay calm and not panic Maybe if you want to leave then try appling logic to the dream - for example if you're dreaming that you are a green jellyfish being told off by a skeleton made out of chocolate you can apply the logic that you're not a green jellyfish and so it can't be real so (a) hopefully youwon't be scared as you know it's real and (b) you might wake up once you're in control. Also, in some points throughout the day, look at the back of your hand and all of the lines and details on it. If you dreaming and know of it, try to look at your hand during the dream - the hand won't be as detailed or correct so again, you're aware that you're dreaming and hopefully you can stay calm as nothing in the dream will be real.

Alternatively, if it is something that is really troubling you and causing you distress then research lucid dreaming a bit more as I'm guessing there are professionals who know a lot about the subject.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onda)
    How do guys do that? Control dreams that's awesome ! I wanna be able to fly in my dream
    I once flew in a dream, seconds/minutes/hours later in the dream I became addicted to flying because it feels so amazing Then I woke up and was quite sad that I wouldn't be able to fly anymore lol.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    I once flew in a dream, seconds/minutes/hours later in the dream I became addicted to flying because it feels so amazing Then I woke up and was quite sad that I wouldn't be able to fly anymore lol.
    Haha at least you get to fly every night what else can you do in your dream?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    An ice-cube up the bottom is sure to wake you up!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    I have that dream, it is a feeling of pure ectasy! Thankfully, I get it often enough that I never feel sad when I realise it's all a dream.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You have to do your best to remain calm i think.
    From experiencing sleep paralysis, i've found the best thing to do is not to panic coz that makes it so much worse.

Edit: I'm probably in the minority but I still find it so weird that you guys don't realise you're dreaming whilst dreaming. It's so strange to me, coz.. how can you not know..
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onda)
    Haha at least you get to fly every night what else can you do in your dream?
    It's only happened once and it was many years ago but flying in dreamland is so awesome that I still remember it now lol.

My dreams are often a mashup of things that would never happen in places I visit regularly. There's also ALOT of running, to the point where I can't actually remember the last time I dreamt where I haven't For example I was running round my living room because my clone (an old woman version of me) was trying to stab me but was making a joke that she wouldn't (but she was chasing after me with a knife). In my local co-op I've also dreamt that I'd been running up and down the shop trying to find an aisle which I didn't know existed! I can sometimes control my dreams like running in another direction but most of the time I get excited that I've realised i'm dreaming which causes me to wake up because my brain sees the logic of the dream can't be reality.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    I have that dream, it is a feeling of pure ectasy! Thankfully, I get it often enough that I never feel sad when I realise it's all a dream.
    It's great, right? Shame we can't choose our dreams otherwise that would be top of my list lol. Dreams really fascinate me. I try not to read too much into dream interpretation but there's a theory that if you fly in your dream then you're exceeding your own expectations and doing well in life whereas if you have a falling dream it means the opposite.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 3, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.