Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Law Career confusion.

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I'm going at KCL doing my LLB and going into my 3rd year.

My first year average was 60% and my second was 57% (Not great I know.)

I dismissed law as last year I hated it, so I didn't apply for anything (due to grades + general law disdain.)

I'm now changing my mind, but I'm totally confused when I need to apply for training contracts (I know I missed the deadline...) Can I apply for them after I've finished my degree? I'm aiming to get a decent 2:1 to pull my grade up this year.

Can anyone give me like a simplified idea of what I should do/when I should apply?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draikzer)
    Okay, so I'm going at KCL doing my LLB and going into my 3rd year.

My first year average was 60% and my second was 57% (Not great I know.)

I dismissed law as last year I hated it, so I didn't apply for anything (due to grades + general law disdain.)

I'm now changing my mind, but I'm totally confused when I need to apply for training contracts (I know I missed the deadline...) Can I apply for them after I've finished my degree? I'm aiming to get a decent 2:1 to pull my grade up this year.

Can anyone give me like a simplified idea of what I should do/when I should apply?
    Hi Draikzer. The deadline for training contract applications was unfortunately thirty minutes ago :/

If you are serious about going into law as a solicitor, you can apply for them from October/November time and as you'll be a third year law student you may get interviewed sooner than the summer. You can definitely apply for training contracts in your third year and beyond, but obviously you'll be delaying your start date (if you get one) by a year or two, but from what I have seen, it is very normal for trainees to start their training contracts in their mid to late twenties or even later! I think it's more unusual to be a fresh out of university 21/22 year old, actually.

You could also at the same time apply for vacation schemes and build up your CV further, do volunteering and what not.

Good luck, and to be honest, I will probably be joining you in the TC hunt in my third year as I am not too confident about getting one in this round!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suffocation1992)
    Hi Draikzer. The deadline for training contract applications was unfortunately thirty minutes ago :/

If you are serious about going into law as a solicitor, you can apply for them from October/November time and as you'll be a third year law student you may get interviewed sooner than the summer. You can definitely apply for training contracts in your third year and beyond, but obviously you'll be delaying your start date (if you get one) by a year or two, but from what I have seen, it is very normal for trainees to start their training contracts in their mid to late twenties or even later! I think it's more unusual to be a fresh out of university 21/22 year old, actually.

You could also at the same time apply for vacation schemes and build up your CV further, do volunteering and what not.

Good luck, and to be honest, I will probably be joining you in the TC hunt in my third year as I am not too confident about getting one in this round!
    That's great! yeah I'd much prefer to finish this year then decide what I want to do. I'll look into Vac schemes for next summer, since I'm staying on in my flat so that might be beneficial. I'm not in any hurry after my degree to jump straight into my career, after all... I'd have through 18+ years of education so a break before starting the LPC would be good.

Thanks though! When do most of the vac schemes close, do you know?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draikzer)
    That's great! yeah I'd much prefer to finish this year then decide what I want to do. I'll look into Vac schemes for next summer, since I'm staying on in my flat so that might be beneficial. I'm not in any hurry after my degree to jump straight into my career, after all... I'd have through 18+ years of education so a break before starting the LPC would be good.

Thanks though! When do most of the vac schemes close, do you know?
    The deadline for next year's vacation schemes will be January 31st 2013.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:

I
    No it wasn't. That was the closing date used by the vast majority of the largest City firms.

There are currently 74 firms looking for trainees for 2013 and 4 for 2012, one of which is a well known London commercial boutique.

My firm's 2014 closing date is 31st December 2012. The reason for this is very simple. We don't want offerees warehousing an offer from us (we do not pay LPC fees) whilst continuing to look elsewhere.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    There are currently 74 firms looking for trainees for 2013 and 4 for 2012, one of which is a well known London commercial boutique.
    Out of curiosity, where did you get those figures?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No it wasn't. That was the closing date used by the vast majority of the largest City firms.

My firm's 2014 closing date is 31st December 2012. The reason for this is very simple. We don't want offerees warehousing an offer from us (we do not pay LPC fees) whilst continuing to look elsewhere.
    Sorry, of course, some are still open. I just assumed because he's at KCL that he had the large City firms in mind.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, of course, some are still open. I just assumed because he's at KCL that he had the large City firms in mind.
    Sorry.

I do tend rather to pounce on this because I think quite a few people don't realise the opportunities available. It is understandable that people applying to smaller firms, whether London boutiques or provincial firms keep very quiet about it. It is one thing to share your experiences of applying to a globally known firm with 100 TCs. If you are applying to a firm with one or two TCs, you are rather giving away a competitive advantage. However it does mean that the postings on TSR tend to be a bit skewed.

I know that people from leading universities do apply to my firm and therefore presume that they also apply to similar firms up and down the country, yet we have had only one mention on ROF several years ago.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richie123)
    Out of curiosity, where did you get those figures?
    http://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/Search.aspx?s=

This is the quasi-offical site for training contracts. Nobody has to advertise here but if you are registered to take trainees, these people will keep in contact with you and as it is free, it is pretty comprehensive and up to date.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry.

I do tend rather to pounce on this because I think quite a few people don't realise the opportunities available. It is understandable that people applying to smaller firms, whether London boutiques or provincial firms keep very quiet about it. It is one thing to share your experiences of applying to a globally known firm with 100 TCs. If you are applying to a firm with one or two TCs, you are rather giving away a competitive advantage. However it does mean that the postings on TSR tend to be a bit skewed.

I know that people from leading universities do apply to my firm and therefore presume that they also apply to similar firms up and down the country, yet we have had only one mention on ROF several years ago.
    Have to say I'm guilty regarding small firms and giving away advantages

Just out of interest is your firm in the North at all? I'm happy to spend a few hours trawling ROF to find it in order to apply but if it's out of my way don't want to waste valuable Olympics watching time
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)

Just out of interest is your firm in the North at all?
    You will see from my postings that I am originally from the Midlands, but I use examples from all over the country to keep the whereabouts of my firm under wraps.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    You will see from my postings that I am originally from the Midlands, but I use examples from all over the country to keep the whereabouts of my firm under wraps.
    Ah OK, I shall see if ROF has anyone I haven't heard of over the last few years and check some deadlines lists. Thanks.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Ah OK, I shall see if ROF has anyone I haven't heard of over the last few years and check some deadlines lists. Thanks.
    Don't try too hard with the deadlines list, the information is wrong on lawcareers.net so goodness knows what it is like elsewhere!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)

Just out of interest is your firm in the North at all? I'm happy to spend a few hours trawling ROF to find it in order to apply but if it's out of my way don't want to waste valuable Olympics watching time
    Pretty sure ROF threads get deleted after a few months if that's your plan.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    Pretty sure ROF threads get deleted after a few months if that's your plan.
    I know the threads go after a while but was hoping NT's firm might have been mentioned in that 'regional firms' profiles bit.

Situation not helped by main board being down and the training board suddenly being populated by many cynical older lawyers ripping the threads!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    I know the threads go after a while but was hoping NT's firm might have been mentioned in that 'regional firms' profiles bit.
    Stop your stalking!

"It's not stalking. It's appreciation"
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stop your stalking!

"It's not stalking. It's appreciation"
    Merely exploring career options...:ninja:

Also, wouldn't recommend asking any questions on RoF for a while, the answers are errrm constructive?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Merely exploring career options...:ninja:

Also, wouldn't recommend asking any questions on RoF for a while, the answers are errrm constructive?
    Damn...should have applied to Eversheds.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Damn...should have applied to Eversheds.
    Maybe their famously difficult online test isn't exactly psychometric...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Maybe their famously difficult online test isn't exactly psychometric...
    Question 1. Get your tits out

Question 2. Niiiiiiice

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 3, 2012
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.