Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    Question 1. Get your tits out

Question 2. Niiiiiiice
    'Dear Madam/Sir(unlikely but we'd like to remind you Evrsheds is an equal opportunities employer).

We are please to inform you that after reviewing both your application and your Facebook album 'The girls do Malia 2011' we would like to invite you to undertake some online tests for us. These will require a webcam and will be undertaken with one of our partners at 11PM next Thursday. We apologise for the delay but unfortunately we are very busy at the moment and on that day his wife is away on a conference whilst the kids should be in bed by then.

Inappropriate dress is expected.

We look forward to meeting you.

Kind regards,

The HR team'
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    X
    Probably just go ahead and quote the official representative they have on TSR into this one?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    Probably just go ahead and quote the official representative they have on TSR into this one?
    Have they got one?

Sure they'd find it hilarious...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    'Dear Madam/Sir(unlikely but we'd like to remind you Evrsheds is an equal opportunities employer).

We are please to inform you that after reviewing both your application and your Facebook album 'The girls do Malia 2011' we would like to invite you to undertake some online tests for us. These will require a webcam and will be undertaken with one of our partners at 11PM next Thursday. We apologise for the delay but unfortunately we are very busy at the moment and on that day his wife is away on a conference whilst the kids should be in bed by then.

Kind regards,

The HR team'
    Lol loving the humour guys.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suffocation1992)
    Hi Draikzer. The deadline for training contract applications was unfortunately thirty minutes ago :/

If you are serious about going into law as a solicitor, you can apply for them from October/November time and as you'll be a third year law student you may get interviewed sooner than the summer. You can definitely apply for training contracts in your third year and beyond, but obviously you'll be delaying your start date (if you get one) by a year or two, but from what I have seen, it is very normal for trainees to start their training contracts in their mid to late twenties or even later! I think it's more unusual to be a fresh out of university 21/22 year old, actually.

You could also at the same time apply for vacation schemes and build up your CV further, do volunteering and what not.

Good luck, and to be honest, I will probably be joining you in the TC hunt in my third year as I am not too confident about getting one in this round!
    This post has actually made me feel a good deal better about life.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would agree - lots of people come to law a little later and about 50% are non-law graduates in the bigger firms so they're already a year behind law students. I'd say the average age is about 24-25 when starting a TC. The more life experience you have the more interesting you are to firms because they think you can bring a more rounded approach to your work.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by millybing)
    I would agree - lots of people come to law a little later and about 50% are non-law graduates in the bigger firms so they're already a year behind law students. I'd say the average age is about 24-25 when starting a TC. The more life experience you have the more interesting you are to firms because they think you can bring a more rounded approach to your work.
    There are statistics for this.

The median age in 2008/9 (the last freely available data) for admission to the roll (this will include transferees from abroad and the bar including at that time barristers who failed to get pupillage) was 28.

If you work back: LLB at 18, LPC at 21, TC at 22, admission at 24. Only 99 candidates (1.2%) manage that. 899 (10.6%) manage it at 25.

Five candidates were admitted at 23. It is not clear whether these were people who skipped a year at school, transferring foreign lawyers or FILEXs. A 16 year old school leaver could do their FILEX, get their 5 years experience and do the LPC by the age of 23. Since these statistics were published, the accelerated LPC has been created which would allow more people to qualify at 23. Moreover anyone with a birthday late in the school year who starts their TC immediately after finishing their LPC and not in September could be admitted at 23.

A good few lawyers in their 50s or older will have qualified at 23. These would be five year men or when the full time Solicitors Finals was introduced it was only a half year course).

Under effectively the present rules as to timing and without skipping any school years, but under very different market conditions, I was admitted 1 1/2 months past my 24th birthday.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Have they got one?

Sure they'd find it hilarious...
    Further research suggested it was Freshfields. Who I would like to categorically say have never been accused of sexual harassment. Or donning blackface at corporate events.

That's right out.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)

Kind regards,

The HR team'
    LMAO, definite contender for my favourite legal forum post.

Not actually too far from the truth in some instances. I can think of at least one major firm that quite clearly cherry picks the hottest female candidates and then throws in a few 40 year old blokes to pass the equal opportunities requirement.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 3, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.